Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available

From the beginning, the team at Vultr has focused on making all aspects of hosting infrastructure management easier for everyone. Today we are excited to bring the simplicity of the Vultr platform to an old hosting industry stalwart - dedicated servers - by introducing the brand new Vultr Bare Metal product line!

Powered by Vultr's cloud orchestration, you can now easily deploy single-tenant physical dedicated servers with zero virtualization layer. We’ve also added an array of cloud features typically only available for standard compute, such as hourly billing, fast api-driven deployment, and availability in multiple geographic regions.

Direct Hardware Access
Vultr Bare Metal provides direct access to the full power of the underlying physical hardware without a virtualization layer. On our platform, you'll be in the driver's seat of a real, physical server, with the convenience and simplicity of Vultr automation. Bare metal servers are also single-tenant only which means that only you will have full access to the resources of your server.

Worldwide Deployment
Deploy bare metal hardware around the world in 10 minutes or less using our point-and-click control panel. We are first introducing bare metal in Singapore and more locations will be rolled out in the coming weeks.

Flexible Resource Management
Easily scale and customize your bare metal environment via our user-friendly customer portal or by using our flexible API. In addition, all bare metal plans include the same no long term contract terms and hourly billing you’ve come to expect from our standard compute offerings.

All Standard Operating Systems
The complete Vultr operating system library has been updated to support bare metal servers. This includes all our versions of Linux, Windows, and BSD with full root/administrator access. Seamlessly switch between virtual and bare metal hardware without having to compromise!

https://www.vultr.com/news/Deploy-Bare-Metal-Cloud-Servers-With-Vultr/

Lineup currently starts from $0.446/hr, but interestingly they note an Atom version coming soon, presumably that will challenge this price point.

Is this a first on this scale?

Those worried about RAID can now configure their own SW RAID!

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost

Comments

• Very prem indeed.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:
    300$ for a Intel Xeon E3....

On hourly billing ? It's very cheap, and gigantic exposure to them.

Thanked by 2J1021 subhojitdutta

@Clouvider said:

So you take some 50$ E3's, put "CLOUD" on it which make them 300$ is cheap?

Maybe in some locations its more expensive sure, but generally 300$ for an Xeon E3 is expensive as fuck.

Thanked by 3Yura rm_ ariq01
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2017

@Neoon said:

@Clouvider said:

So you take some 50$ E3's, put "CLOUD" on it which make them 300$ is cheap?

Maybe in some locations its more expensive sure, but generally 300$ for an Xeon E3 is expensive as fuck.

You're missing the trick here. They're being offered on a hourly lease. This will be extremely attractive for many with short work loads which require dedicated resources.

Now they can rent that server for the one day a month they need to run their analytics app, now they scale their app/load horizontally for short periods of time without the need to keep hardware on lease all month round. Just a few examples, the possibilities this opens up is significant.

Do you read your posts before you send them ?

This is an hourly billed server. Might be in use for maybe an hour a day, but you still have to pay for the space, committed power, switch ports, staff, maintenance, and ... You still have to buy the server.

So yeah, you put a cloud tag on it, switch hourly billing on, and you may get a $300 if someone actually keeps it a month, which I seriously doubt.

• It's around 3x the speed of an Atom C2750 which you can get (bare metal) at Scaleway for 0.036 euro/hour or 18 euro/month. Also, nocix.net has some hourly servers (dual X5520) for a fraction of what Vultr wants. They had i7-3770 for 7 cents an hour or $50/month for a long while, but that seems to be gone now.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2017

willie said: but that seems to be gone now.

That was sort of the point I was getting to when asking if this had been done on this scale before. I'm sure I've seen hourly dedi offers before, but not necessarily from a company with a stable track record - with stability comes continuity which businesses can rely on.

• @kcaj i expect you take it for a spin and add some comments in future?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2017

This is actually quite good, I keep a dedi on tap for certain jobs that need to the power it offers, but not needed 24/7, this would be far more economical. Others that have done this are not so reliable.

edited December 2017

@Clouvider said:
    Do you read your posts before you send them ?

This is an hourly billed server. Might be in use for maybe an hour a day, but you still have to pay for the space, committed power, switch ports, staff, maintenance, and ... You still have to buy the server.

Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.

Rent it just for 2 days and you could buy yourself a dedicated E3, depending on Location of course.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LeeLee Veteran

Neoon said: Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.

Yeah, but the point @Clouvider is making is that if you needed it on average an hour a day then $13 or thereabouts per month is far less than renting the whole thing monthly elsewhere.

Depends on use case, nobody I would hope would see that as something they would rent from Vultr for the whole month.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Dunno why no one points out yet that E3-1270V6 is a single CPU, not 8 CPUs, it's not capable in running in even 2S and has 4 Cores (with Hyperthreading). This is very much false advertising ;-).

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    Still, thats 12$ per day, which is expensive.

$0.446 x 24 = 10.704 ~= $10.70/day

The point is, the market segmet is totally different. There are people who run applications and utilize 100% of the CPU thereby causing the issue of "noisy neighbours" and then they get emails from the provider for causing load, blah blah.

So, with this "dedicated server" on an hourly basis, people belonging to those market segment will rejoice.

Its not a bad move afterall, here we just fail to look at the specific market segment.

Its overpriced.

If may be useful for people who use it for 1-2 Hours a month, but when you go over 24 hours, its getting expensive as fuck.

Depending on how much times you need this server 1-2 hours a month, you rather buy a dedi.

• @Neoon said:
    Its overpriced.

If may be useful for people who use it for 1-2 Hours a month, but when you go over 24 hours, its getting expensive as fuck.

Depending on how much times you need this server 1-2 hours a month, you rather buy a dedi.

Sure - but the product is made towards people needing on-demand dedicated no-noisy neighbours - it's not many providers that can you can find that will have that in stock, even if you rent on a monthly basis - and have it ready within 10 minutes.

If everything is about cost, then people would also stop using AWS - because you can just buy Vultr VMs with more resources for same price and let them idle.

• kcaj said: done on this scale before

Scaleway has had hourly dedis for years. Amazon recently announced them. The "on-demand" model only works if you have enough hardware that units are always in stock. Amazon does that with its spot market for VM's, but remember it takes a lot longer to get a dedi ready for the next person. E.g. you have to erase the disks, unless these are SAN-only.

• I don't get the debate since this is hourly. The whole point is not to use this monthly.

I have an app that I demonstrate to people. It is demonstrated 2-3 hours a month. I don't even think I pay 50 cents a month for this. I turned off the dyno when I am not using it.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Hmmm dedi in Singapore with 1gig of NTT, GTT and PCCW for 300$? Nice

• packet net competitor?

• I agree it's quite expensive for someone that doesn't utilize everything and it's only worth it to use it for a few hours.

But the 10GbE network looks cool though.

• edited December 2017

@Neoon with all due respect $300 for an E3 is relatively super cheap for a lot of people. Maybe too cheap.

You are obviously not in the market segment that is intended to buy these servers full time, yes the full month. They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

Packet.net and even Vultr new dedicated servers are for people that can afford them, jokes on you because you can't even afford small servers for your own services.

Thanked by 1Rapidwire
    edited December 2017

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    @Neoon with all due respect $300 for an E3 is relatively super cheap for a lot of people. Maybe too cheap.

This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server.

I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

You are obviously not in the market segment that is intended to buy these servers full time, yes the full month. They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

There are companies that are able to afford several $300 E3 servers, and are not asking for donations on LET for free LET vps to run their "game servers" .

I never asked for donations, I asked for sponsors, there is a difference.

Look at packet.net, they are selling E3 for $292, and V5. Do you think people buying their servers monthly are complaining? Of course not, some people actually a realistic budget for production servers

This production bullshit again, just because you paying 300$ for a server does not mean its more premium or production ready.

You can create the same stuff on cheaper servers, even with HA.

and are scraping the bottom of the barrel "donated" vps to run their half-ass projects(that they can't even afford to host).

1/3 of FireFlyGaming is sponsored, no words.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2017

When you look at the bottom for so long, you forget that there is sky above.

• Timtimo13Timtimo13 Member
    edited December 2017

E3 might not be THE feature but the server does have 10GbE...
    Thats kind of a feature isn't it?

btw. is any of you guys using hourly billed servers and stops
    using them after some work?

I couldn't imagine any workload for a hourly billed server...

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: They are intended for people that have money to afford servers, not those asking for free servers donation.

You mean they want to donate to Vultr instead?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

E3-1270v6, 32GB RAM 10GE with 5TB bandwidth in Singapore with NTT, GTT & PCCW, hourly billed.

That's more than reasonable. Just because it's not for you doesn't make it for others. If you can point me to a similar specification from another provider with a similar network I will be amazed.

Do keep in mind, OVH's entire DC has a 10G link back to their local PoP. I wouldn't compare with OVH.

Thanked by 2Iam v3ng
  • Considering vultr hourly billing and premium network+reliability This is a good deal for a dedicated

• LeeLee Veteran

Neoon said: This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server.

I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

No, that is how you define cheap, many others look at it that way also, I don't. I consider 50-75 EUR per month cheap if it meets all my requirements.

• Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean