Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you use cheap NAT VPS for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what do you use cheap NAT VPS for?

2»

Comments

• use it as bastion host / VPN + PiHole

• @mikho said:

jamuja said: To upload content/media into my GDrive, I want to mount my Google Drive in NAT VPS and use the server as downloader via wget or web-torrent client but i am not sure if it is allowed/technically possible too.

As long as you don't use the CPU 100% all the time or continuously run dd tests it should be fine with a NAT VPS.

Do you allow this use case in your NAT server ? Do you support FUSE ?
    I don't think it is CPU intensive. I have rar files in my GDrive that I want to use the NAT server to download, unpack and upload back to Gdrive.
    That and occasionally downloading stuff and uploading them onto GDrive

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jamuja said:

@mikho said:

jamuja said: To upload content/media into my GDrive, I want to mount my Google Drive in NAT VPS and use the server as downloader via wget or web-torrent client but i am not sure if it is allowed/technically possible too.

As long as you don't use the CPU 100% all the time or continuously run dd tests it should be fine with a NAT VPS.

Do you allow this use case in your NAT server ? Do you support FUSE ?
    I don't think it is CPU intensive. I have rar files in my GDrive that I want to use the NAT server to download, unpack and upload back to Gdrive.
    That and occasionally downloading stuff and uploading them onto GDrive

I support fuse and I’m willing to try if it works without using to many resources.

Thanked by 2jamuja bersy
  • @mikho said:

I support fuse and I’m willing to try if it works without using to many resources.

Thanks. I will order now.

• @i83 said:

mksh said: Quadhost?

. * i-83.net

Short review for i-83.net I tried to buy one of your server, I can't even complete the process. Straight away flagged for phone verification, and there is no way to complete this. My ticket was replied with vague answer that doesn't help. It is like you guys don't want money from new customer...

• Most important thing: lighting up the little green circles on the dashboard monitor

Everything else: vpn, backup ssh proxy, znc/irc bouncer, tox node.

Also thinking about putting up an etherpad or ethercalc for some friends, which might be a bit tight on a 128 MB box, but should do fine on 256 MB. The messing about is the fun part about these little boxes. :)

• @jamuja said:

@mikho said:

Thanks. I will order now.

Please report how it goes, I'd be grateful to hear.

Thanked by 2bersy mikho
  • Used to hold dust

• ZNC + monitoring.

• I wouldn't whitelist nat vps ip for ssh bastion or ssh port external monitoring.

It's fine for external http/s monitoring.

• I use mine to post random

#dicks

• I use one for an online radio station.

• Proxy for my toilet cams.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited December 2017

@jamuja said:
    I am thinking to buy one as it is dirt cheap.

Do you buy every cheap thing you see that you don't have a use for? Always found it funny when people ask what to do with their LEB. Seems like something you should ask yourself before you buy it.

• @6ixth said:
    Garry's Mod servers.

I wonder how many players it can cater...

• ChuckChuck Member

@default said:
    I use one for an online radio station.

Explain please?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Chuck said:

@default said:
    I use one for an online radio station.

Explain please?

Response provided in private message, you asked for help in private. :)

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • hacktekhacktek Member

@letrocks said:
    use it as bastion host / VPN + PiHole

How do you run pihole on a nat vps? Bind it to a tun interface and VPN to it?

• I use my NAT VPS for VPN and I'm planning to install XMPP server on it. Don't know if it's possible though, but it's worth a try.

• It's a good choice to build an offline download host, and some hosts offer 80, 443port forwarding so they can access the Web site from the extranet.

• @SuperValueHost said:
    It's a good choice to build an offline download host, and some hosts offer 80, 443port forwarding so they can access the Web site from the extranet.

O, really?