Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS

sijie123sijie123 Member
edited September 2013 in Requests

Hi!
I'm looking for a VPS provider that will is able to get me a Xen/KVM VPS.

Minimum requirements:
2GB RAM excluding swap <-- important

MINIMUM 4 XEON CPU CORES <-- important

edit: OK no need "dedicated". But don't blame me for extended CPU usage.

Hard disk about 70-100GB will do. No need SSD/SSD-cached, but that will be a bonus

Bandwidth: Anything that's decent will do. (i.e. don't give me 50GB)

Uptime > 99% (quite easy one)

Port Speed minimum 100 Mbps, would love having 1Gbps ones.

LOCATION: ANYWHERE WITH GOOD LATENCY TO SOUTHEAST ASIA (SINGAPORE/MALAYSIA). <-- important

Budget: $7- $15.
Please feel free to negotiate.
Host must be reliable and will not go out of business within the next 1-2 years.

This will be a long-term purchase, so I don't mind even a yearly billing. JUST... be reliable.

Comments

• Wont happen

• Get a dedi from calihop and be done with it

• You want to pay $7-$15 for 4 Dedicated CPU cores? Not sure if serious.

• @SkylarM said:
    You want to pay $7-$15 for 4 Dedicated CPU cores? Not sure if serious.

It's more than possible. I'm currently having a 512MB Xen VPS with 4 cores, 40GB HDD, 100Mbps uplink at only 5USD a month.
    I'm asking for this price because I want to seek out a more reliable host so that I can get another VPS that I'll need for some time.

• 764664764664 Member
    edited September 2013

@sijie123 said:
    I'm asking for this price because I want to seek out a more reliable host so that I can get another VPS that I'll need for some time.

I can't imagine who will offer you 4 DEDICATED cores at such price.

• @sijie123 said:

Do some math. Say it's a 32 Core server. (Even though most of them are 4 core E3's). If the guy sold 8 x $15 VPS from that server with all dedicated cores. He'll get $120 revenue from a server that's rented for $350-400 at least. So, stop being ridiculous. Noone will give you dedicated cores at that price. They'll fool you that they gave you dedicated cores, but in the end you'll get throttled cores.

• okokok you guys win. My point is that I want at least 4 cores.
    pardon the use of the word "dedicated". Not dedicated. OKAY?

This thread is going off tangent. Instead of getting hosts to post their offers, 4 people have commented on the infeasibility of my requirements.

edited.

• PM me. I'll set you up one with whatever specs you like. You can test it for 48 hours and then we can figure out a fair price.

• @sijie123 said:
    okokok you guys win. My point is that I want at least 4 cores.
    pardon the use of the word "dedicated". Not dedicated. OKAY?

This thread is going off tangent. Instead of getting hosts to post their offers, 4 people have commented on the infeasibility of my requirements.

edited.

Please check mountvps.com. We can provide you with that. (Not Dedicated CPU)

• @MountVPS said:
    Please check mountvps.com. We can provide you with that. (Not Dedicated CPU)

Sorry, no OpenVZ please. If I were to do things like video encoding / compiling (which is what I intend to do), other customers would get severely affected. Likewise if they try to abuse I would suffer largely.

@XLvps
    I'm a little busy right now. I'll get back to you on Friday. Thanks for the offer.

• @sijie123 said:
    Sorry, no OpenVZ please. If I were to do things like video encoding / compiling (which is what I intend to do), other customers would get severely affected.

That would happen on KVM too. No matter what provider you go with (that matches your budget) you won't get dedicated cores, I doubt they will even let you use 2 cores all for yourself.

• What if you give him 4 cpu cores throttled to 100mhz so he does not affect other clients?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

No, KVM can isolate much better, even Xen-PV. He wont be able to lock the cores, he knows what he is saying, however, that price is low. Expect summerhosts, ppl selling at a loss to get customers. On a dual E5 as we have it is possible, our iwstack can do it for the price, but only for cpu, not storage, SAN storage is not coming cheap. It will be close to the specs: www.iwstack.com. Has the advantage to be turned off to save money when not needed tho, so you can get the desired specs and more if you do not run it 24/7.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Your RAM requirement is quite high with the budget you've provided--especially if you want Xen virtualization with dedicated RAM. We offer a variety of low-end Xen VMs. Our closest plan to fit your needs is $9.95 per month with 512MB RAM, 4 CPU cores, and 60GB disk space ( http://www.vpshostingdeal.com/ ).

• onepoundonepound Member
    edited September 2013

Slightly over your budget but I can offer this:

Xen-PV,
    100gb HDD,
    2GB RAM,
    350GB B/W,
    4Cores,
    2GB Swap,

10 Free Monitoring Checks,
    Free Weekly Backups,
    Location Fareham/UK,

£12/month

• edited September 2013

@sijie123 Why don't you do the video encoding off server, then transfer to server? That will save your CPU allocation.

• @Bogdacutuu said:
    That would happen on KVM too. No matter what provider you go with (that matches your budget) you won't get dedicated cores, I doubt they will even let you use 2 cores all for yourself.

Sorry for confusion - once again, no need for dedicated cores. Just saying so that provider doesn't get a rude shock when he sees this client maxing out CPU 100% constantly.

@jcaleb said:
    What if you give him 4 cpu cores throttled to 100mhz so he does not affect other clients?

What if I give you 400,000,000 vCPU cores at 1 Hz?

@Maounique said:
    No, KVM can isolate much better, even Xen-PV. He wont be able to lock the cores, he knows what he is saying, however, that price is low. Expect summerhosts, ppl selling at a loss to get customers. On a dual E5 as we have it is possible, our iwstack can do it for the price, but only for cpu, not storage, SAN storage is not coming cheap. It will be close to the specs: www.iwstack.com. Has the advantage to be turned off to save money when not needed tho, so you can get the desired specs and more if you do not run it 24/7.

Yes, thank you!
    I'm looking out for IWStack already and their price seems to be fair. I'll continue to keep a lookout, too! Thanks!

@BrianHarrison said:
    Your RAM requirement is quite high with the budget you've provided--especially if you want Xen virtualization with dedicated RAM. We offer a variety of low-end Xen VMs. Our closest plan to fit your needs is $9.95 per month with 512MB RAM, 4 CPU cores, and 60GB disk space ( http://www.vpshostingdeal.com/ ).

Hi, thanks for the offer, but no thanks. My video encoding takes up an easy 1.5GB so I'll run way too much into swap. and performance is drastically reduced. I've taken a look at your site, perhaps you meant $5.95 for the 512MB RAM one. That's really decent! Although, I have to say, the 2GB RAM one is a bit too pricey for me. So thanks for the offer, and I'll put that on hold.

@onepound said:
    Slightly over your budget but I can offer this:

Xen-PV,
    100gb HDD,
    2GB RAM,
    350GB B/W,
    4Cores,
    2GB Swap,

10 Free Monitoring Checks,
    Free Weekly Backups,
    Location Fareham/UK,

£12/month

That's 18USD? Sorry, price is just a bit too high. Thanks for your offer, and I'll place it in considerations. Should I be unable to find a better host, I'll come back.

@rajprakash said:
    sijie123 Why don't you do the video encoding off server, then transfer to server? That will save your CPU allocation.

So where do I encode the video then? That's precisely the point of getting my server isn't it? :)
    Thanks for the comment though!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I just love vanilla mash'em up !