Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is crypto mining profitable? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is crypto mining profitable?

13»

Comments

• @Nihim said:
    which pool would you guys recommend? Especially for not powerful hashing machine?

base64. Shit's gonna payout.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Nihim said:
    which pool would you guys recommend? Especially for not powerful hashing machine?

Probably one of the bigger ones so you can get some share of blocks, even if it's just for pennies. I'd use SupportXMR or MineXMR.

• @Harambe said:

bsdguy said: The other reason for my answer is the fact that I strongly prefer tangible factors over gambling (which mining basically is for many if not most miners).

Not really gambling when you're just taking advantage of unused CPU cycles on servers you already pay for. Tons of markets to flip what you mine pretty quick, or you can do some gambling and hold.

I see your point but cpu mining is peanuts anyway.

As for "gambling", I get @randvegeta's (and others) point but the equation sales - cost = profit is (imo anyway) akin to gambling if at least one factor is highly volatile.

I also see @jarlands point and actually think that he might be among the few percent who really know what they are doing, the market, the game, and the relevant players. Sure enough though, the large majority does not and is hence gambling or betting.

• squaresmilesquaresmile Member
    edited December 2017

@Harambe said:
    I have an i5-3570s and it's doing 250+H/s (3 threads), E3-1220v2 is doing well over 300.

My i5-3570s is only doing about 170H/s with 3 threads. Distribution kernel, huge pages enabled, AES-NI available. xmrig and xmr-stak have the same result. Did you make any change besides those?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@squaresmile said:

@Harambe said:
    I have an i5-3570s and it's doing 250+H/s (3 threads), E3-1220v2 is doing well over 300.

My i5-3570s is only doing about 170H/s with 3 threads. Distribution kernel, huge pages enabled, AES-NI available. xmrig and xmr-stak have the same result. Did you make any change besides those?

No other changes, just those you listed. Running Ubuntu 16.04 at the moment on that box.

To be fair, when I quoted 250+ I was only looking at what the pool was reporting the box is at, but when I get the hashrate from xmr-stak-cpu directly it's reporting 212-220.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Got request today:

"looking for cheap 10-12 E5 dual from 2620-2690 v4 rangebarely use ram or hardrive if that helpsprice per serv 40$/mo maxwill be using it for mining purposesthis price range exist at my other provider , he is just out of stock and I need morelet me know if interested to work out a dealgood day"

I would like to know where I can buy dual v4 servers with $40, going to buy all the stock.

Thanked by 2randvegeta pxhaxor
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

bacloud said: "looking for cheap 10-12 E5 dual from 2620-2690 v4 rangebarely use ram or hardrive if that helpsprice per serv 40$/mo max

hahahahahaha

• I read the other day someone installed a mining rig in his Tesla using all the free charging stations. Man, people are so smart (or dumb).

Source :

A clever Tesla owner is using his Model S to mine cryptocurrency for free

• zevuszevus Member
    edited December 2017

Jump on some new shitcoin/scamcoin and sell while it's being pumped, that'll be profitable.

I had ~$160 of AWS credits that expired on 12/31/2017, so I decided to use that mining Monero.

Used only spot instances, ofc. The GPU ones were all overpriced (& has this oddity, where many have cheaper spot prices using Windows, vs Linux.... maybe lots of people using AWS mining guides that like to throw away their money? dunno)...

The best I found was cc2.8xlarge in Oregon, which has a spot price of around 20 cents. This was about 850 hash/s. The c4.8xlarge in Canada has a spot price of ~26.25 cents & got slightly better hash/price ratio, but the servers got terminated fairly often & it was too annoying for me.

... 1) the aws billing system sucks. I thought I had cancelled all the instances with $2 left in credits, but instead I got smacked with a $40 bill.

2) I ended up with 0.689675 XMR (monero), which I sold for the equiv of $140 worth of bitcoins. Current price would net you about $135.

3) Absolutely baffled that mining on AWS was only some 30% or so loss on expenditure.

I guess it is profitable on some dedicated servers. But this shitcoin boom happened once before, on Cryptsy. This Monero, it's not worth $200/ea, laugh.

(ed: I had tons of mining hardware that I was too lazy to sell on eBay & ended up giving it all to a friend a couple of weeks ago for 50% of mining profit, or 75% of eBay when mining is done. but, yeah, i was amazed that it's profitable again, or at least it is so at 0.08/kWh elec)

• Thank you so much everyone for their inputs and suggestions.

as per @jarland and @Maxsam4 suggestions, decided to try Monero and Electroneum.

Monero pools taking hell time to get single block so waiting patiently...
    Electroneum on other hand is damn cheap/usd at the moment but able to get some coins.

• @seenu said:
    Thank you so much everyone for their inputs and suggestions.

as per @jarland and @Maxsam4 suggestions, decided to try Monero and Electroneum.

Electroneum on other hand is damn cheap/usd at the moment but able to get some coins.

What pools and software are you using?

• @nqservices said:

@seenu said:
    Thank you so much everyone for their inputs and suggestions.

What pools and software are you using?

Monero

https://monero.riefly.id/#
    https://moriaxmr.com/#/dashboard

Electroneum

https://electroneum.hashvault.pro/en/#!/dashboard

but since they are saying, ETN is going for ICO today and coin value may go down heavily... i am trying some other coins for now.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited January 2018

@nqservices said:

@jezznar said:
    Go for crypto lending instead of mining. The ROI is way worth it than mining.

I've been investing in crypto lending for 3 months now.
    A lot of words of the internetsays it's a scam but I can share you screenshots of my account as proof that it's not through PM if you're interested.

Get out of here! Do not fool people. Bitconnect is a SCAM! Their trading bot does not exist. Its just a pyramid scheme.

It will go down when users stop entering the scheme. It can be today, tomorrow, 1 year from now.. but it will happen!

Turns out it's exactly January 16th, 2018.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/

Thanked by 2Aidan WSS
  • Turns out it's exactly January 16th, 2018.

People who invest in unregulated "ICOs"... Actually, that's saying enough already

Thanked by 1WSS
  • AMD FX-8320 : ~280H/s

seenu said: Monero

use minergate.

• jezznarjezznar Member
    edited January 2018

Harzem said: Turns out it's exactly January 16th, 2018.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/

It's really a sad day. I've had my share of wrongs and I'm free for everybody to flame for my lines. Lost a lot there tbh. I really can't contain my rage but somehow I have to control it and do my part in the community that will file a case towards them. I only invested what I can afford to lose but reading through /r/Bitconnect before it got ripped to a private /r, I can't help but feel really sad for people who've put their life savings in there. :(

Just so everybody knows, nobody ever used my referral link at all.

• @jezznar said:

@nqservices said:

@jezznar said:
    Go for crypto lending instead of mining. The ROI is way worth it than mining.

I've been investing in crypto lending for 3 months now. I've gotten $150 back from my initial $220. There's a holding period but heck, my ROI's enough to get it back. I decided to invest around $500 more about a week ago and I decided to invest $100 per month.

Here's my aff link in case you wanna.

https://bitconnect.co/?ref=jezznar

A lot of words of the internetsays it's a scam but I can share you screenshots of my account as proof that it's not through PM if you're interested.

Get out of here! Do not fool people. Bitconnect is a SCAM! Their trading bot does not exist. Its just a pyramid scheme.

And yes I know you can post screenshots showing your profits. The pyramid is still UP, but all "servers" must have downtime... and when that happens, the bitconnect is official dead. It will not "reboot" anymore.

And of course you posted your aff link to try to collect some crypto newbies just to earn more money for yourself. I'm surprise you did not show photos of your lambo, your 10 bedroom house, and how bitconnect changed your life ;)

It will go down when users stop entering the scheme. It can be today, tomorrow, 1 year from now.. but it will happen!

Just today Mike Novogratz posted on its own twitter that Bitconnect is a scam... so it's already out on the mainstream media... time is running out!

And of course the best is this guy on their recent official fake party in Thailand. If after you see this video you still want to invest in Bitconnect, please do!

And so was bitcoin a few years ago. People have been calling it a scam and what now?

Also, Lambo? Bitconnect changed my life? I did say I only had $150 back from my initial $220 investment after just 3 months. How the heck am I supposed to buy a lambo? Are you kidding me?

I ain't forcing this into you, mate. Call it a scam. I don't mind. Don't use my aff link? It's okay.

I got results. I got evidence that I'm getting money back. If you're not into it, I dont mind as well and respect your opinion. :)

Hey @jezznar

It would be great if you could share today the screenshots of your profits with bitconnect. At the moment and also looking back to the time when you made this comment it really seems that Bitconnect is an excelent investment.

Are you also thinking on getting into the bitconnect ICO (https://bitconnectx.co/)? It seems a even better deal! :)

Keep up with the good advises!

For those who do not fully understand crypto, bitconnect was like a hosting provider offer a dedicated server plan with unlimited everything and after you pay the first month, the hosting provider will then pay you every month to have you as a client...

P.S.: Now seriously I really hope you did not lost your money and that you have learn your lesson here.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • KrisKris Member
    edited January 2018

Anyone have a nice little YouTube video that shows the BitConnect scam from start to finish?

haven't been following it and saw it shutdown refunding with their shit-coins worth close to nothing now, but didn't see any article or video with a summary of the story or people behind it.

After watching the video above, surprised anyone invested in this crap. Sounds as scammy and bullshit as Herbalife.

EDIT: Alluding to some crap with 'CryptoNick' etc who deleted their affiliate videos, interested in the people who were affiliate pushing this crap. Just seems shadier and shadier.

• Kris said: CryptoNick

People were following the investment advice of a 17-year-old kid.

You only have yourself, or your caretaker, to blame if you believed that 1% daily compounded interest is legitimate.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Kris said:
    Anyone have a nice little YouTube video that shows the BitConnect scam from start to finish?

Probably the best you're going to get -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/7r8y9y/eli5_what_is_bitconnect_and_how_have_people_lost/

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • WSSWSS Member

For those of you who can't read:

• lol bitconnect , i hope 99999 person at least is broked the bank , how to be so idiot in invert in "dreams" 40% withowt working , put the money in my pocket and you will got 40% every month ....

Guys be realistic please....

• you gotta identify the next one that is gonna take off, most of the ones right now seem to be in a bubble ready to burst. Take your chances on one getting started, and as most have already mentioned, gpu mining is the way to go now, it's an investment, you probably won't see profit for a while, so it just depends on how much you're planning to put in and how the market reacts

• @LoreSYS said:
    you gotta identify the next one that is gonna take off, most of the ones right now seem to be in a bubble ready to burst. Take your chances on one getting started, and as most have already mentioned, gpu mining is the way to go now, it's an investment, you probably won't see profit for a while, so it just depends on how much you're planning to put in and how the market reacts

Yeah, right, feed the lottery...

("guys, trust me, heroine is a great thing. Those guys only died because their dealer used bad chemicals")

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:

@LoreSYS said:
    you gotta identify the next one that is gonna take off, most of the ones right now seem to be in a bubble ready to burst. Take your chances on one getting started, and as most have already mentioned, gpu mining is the way to go now, it's an investment, you probably won't see profit for a while, so it just depends on how much you're planning to put in and how the market reacts

Yeah, right, feed the lottery...

("guys, trust me, heroine is a great thing. Those guys only died because their dealer used bad chemicals")

Do you mean the female, or the drug? Because although they act similarly on the body, they're not the same.

• @WSS said:
    Do you mean the female, or the drug? Because although they act similarly on the body, they're not the same.

The drug. Though, being at that, what's the big difference (besides the drug not giving blowjobs at the nice beginning)? Both drive you insane.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:

@WSS said:

The drug. Though, being at that, what's the big difference (besides the drug not giving blowjobs at the nice beginning)? Both drive you insane.

They both eventually kill you- but the drug is less detrimental to you while alive.