Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spare server, what kind of vps? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spare server, what kind of vps?

2»

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

You are right, i see the same results in the domU... it seems limitated to 20Mbps. I'll investigate.

• Raw speed from server to eyeball networks in North Europe:

All test nodes are on 100Mbit or higher.

nebula/as29422 4.80 MB/s
    funet/as1741 6.64 MB/s
    teliasonera finland/as1759 3.78MB/s

Got few more results, but overall performance to finnish isps is average, ping times goes from 40ms(telia,nebula) to 75ms(funet).

Thank you, I've done some test and discovered that with more ram on the domU the speed do increase (tested some nearby mirrors), this might be a 3.1 kernel issue. Tomorrow I'll try installing a 2.6 kernel in the domu to see what happen.

Bye

S.

• @Prometeus

Is weird, veeery weird, but @Kujoe pointed this some time ago with his xen offers

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@yomero is correct. Here are the results of our tests.

Thank you very much. I think there are some automatic buffer settings that are lowered at a certain ram level. Time for a syscontrol hack session or did you follow this path?

S.

Using the usual network tweaks (these value are used on big servers so needs further adaption) I see much better results.

Please add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

net.core.rmem_max=16777216
    net.core.wmem_max=16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

and run
    sysctl -p

Then try again and let me know if things change.

Thank you

@kujoe @yomero thank you again for the help.

@prometeus No change, still getting around 15MB/s with my 96MB test VPS. Considering the VPSs are supposed to be capped at 100Mbps we're not to concerned (we just stopped selling Xen PV VPSs under 128MB of RAM).

@kujoe the last time i played with a 96MB box was with one of our first dns (a venerable pentium pro), it was 15 years ago :-)

Anyway on these 128M test vm I see noticeable improvement.
    How do you cap them? Do you use the qdisc?

Thanks

S.

@prometeus said: How do you cap them?

Nope. We were hoping to use SolusVM for that but it resulted in to much downtime so we stopped capping them. If it becomes an issue we'll start to throttle at the switch but so far nobody is abusing the network.

• minamina Member
    edited February 2012

@prometeus said: Please add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

net.core.rmem_max=16777216
    net.core.wmem_max=16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216

and run
    sysctl -p

Yep, now academica.fi mirror does 52MB/s to your network, sweet!

Funet doing 12.9MB/s, that's good also.

FROM your network to Funet, it's now 20.6 MB/s with 100MB file, peaked at 40MB/s, so it certainly performs well.