Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Internet Radio
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Internet Radio

I'm planning on renting a VPS to stream internet radio and movies from for my community with icecast etc.
Taking into account Black Friday sales, what specs will I need assuming I'll be streaming to 5-30 people and where do you advise I get it?

Comments

• modrowmodrow Member
    edited November 2017

Check out FastCast4U. They have some interesting offers specificially for Streaming.

Right now they have a Black Friday Sale going on.
    From 4,16$ / month (99,99$ for 2 years) for 96 kbit/s and up to 100 simultaneous listeners.

https://fastcast4u.com

• @modrow said:
    Check out FastCast4U. They have some interesting offers specificially for Streaming.

From 4,16$ / month (99,99$ for 2 years) for 96 kbit/s and up to 100 simultaneous listeners.

@modrow said:

I'd like to be able to stream 320 to a smaller number of people at an affordable price, a regular vpn sounds much more convenient.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2017

@modrow

Hah, what a lousy name for a company.

Anyway, @Baby_Burner, a @Nick_A Ramnode or a @Francisco slice will probably do you well, as you'll need a decent network for a good quality stream (e.g 10Mbit/s per 30ish people.)

Given your requirements, you'll need to stream 320kbps audio, which will use up to 9.3Mbit/s. This shouldn't really bother any provider. In terms of memory and CPU oomph, you don't need a lot of that, so a system with:

• 1 or 2 cores at 2GHz+

• 128MB or 256MB of RAM

• 20GB of disk space (enough to store your stream's files)

• Rougly 1.14MB/s for the stream itself at maximum capacity, so assuming you stream around 48 hours a month, this will total to around 200GB of bandwidth. I'd say 300GB is the minimum transfer for you as to be able to move files around, etc.

Providers I recommend with this in mind:

• RamNode's 128MB premium OpenVZ SSD VPS ($15/year), nice bandwidth limits, much less disk space at 12GB, SSD though

• BuyVM's 128MB OpenVZ VPS ($15/year), nice bandwidth limits, less disk space at 15GB

• I would've recommended VMHaus, but the bandwidth limit is low and I'm almost sure that 5GB of disk space isn't enough for you, considering this is a KVM VPS and the operating system will take up a larger portion of your space

• ImpactVPS (haven't heard from them for a bit, might be just me), $12/year OpenVZ VPS, only 10GB of disk space, SSD though, nice bandwidth, 512MB of RAM (4X the other providers at comparable prices)

I've tried all of them but BuyVM, though this is LET, and many members think quality and ponies when they see @Francisco's BuyVM. The other providers I mentioned should do you just fine.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco, definitely.
    We had an urgency in Portugal, and I'll post a review soon, but, basically: Francisco delivered really fast so we could relay from a local radio, when all other radios were offline. It peaked at 1600 listeners. We paid a few bucks, and I cannot be thankful enough for the great service he delivered. 100% his fan, his network is solid, servers run really fast, and... I've shilled enough.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    @modrow

Hah, what a lousy name for a company.

Well... Not my company and I didn't choose the name :D

• @Baby_Burner said:
    I'm planning on renting a VPS to stream internet radio and movies from for my community with icecast etc.
    Taking into account Black Friday sales, what specs will I need assuming I'll be streaming to 5-30 people and where do you advise I get it?

Advise is buy every good deal you see, watch shit idle and keep the server you like the most before the next BF sale.