Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in South Europe with low pings to Marseille (Spain/Italy/France)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in South Europe with low pings to Marseille (Spain/Italy/France)

elos42elos42 Member
edited November 2017 in Requests

Hi,
I am looking for a VPS -- KVM or LXC -- with low latency to India.
Typically, latency to European providers (OVH / Hetzner / Contabo / Vultr and most UK and NL players) is around 210-230 ms from my home in India.

However, latency is only 170-180 ms to VPSfast.net's Spain (82.102.17.190) and Italy (185.220.71.27) locations. But they don't have back-ups and so on. It's a basic service, and I feel at a bit trepidatious at the prospect of swinging without a safety wire.

I tried Seflow, Prometeus and Arubacloud -- all in Milan -- but none of them have the kind of direct route (India to Marseilles to Spain/Italy) that VPSfast offers. All providers in India tend to have Marseilles as their gateway to Europe and USA.

Prometeus and Aruba take me to the US before going to Europe, while Seflow is around 230ish.

Can anyone suggest any decent provider in Southern Europe who's likely to have good international connectivity? Must have backups - paid or otherwise. My budget is up to USD20 per month.

Comments

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You got a test IP to your home or a nearby one on your ISP?

• Dear @elos42,
    I read your message. If you're not satisfied with our route, please open a trouble ticket to SOC with a traceroute. Our Network engineer will take care your case.

Sincerely your Eleonora
    SeFlow Support

• elos42elos42 Member
    edited November 2017

Thanks @vmhaus. I did consider your service, however, I don't think the problem is on your side. There's generally a lot of 'congestion' (25-100 ms) between destinations on the south side of Europe (Barcelona, Milan) and on the North or further to the interior (Paris, Frankfurt, NL, and even the UK).

That's been my experience, having tested various providers, including OVH, Amazon, Contabo, Hetzner, Vultr and Linode.

What I mean is, at the least, the difference is about 20 ms, which is not a big concern, but this increases to 70-90 ms during certain times of the day.

I've tested from all four major ISPs in India (90% of the market), and it's the same.

My understanding is that it may have to do with busy times on the continent. For example, latency increases during very late night tests from India, which corresponds to evening time for Europe.

At best, I can get avg values of around 200 ms on mtr for Frankfurt, London and Gravelines and RBX, but these can drop down to about 290 ms at other times.

On the other hand, the values for Barcelona and Milan ranges between 170 at best and 200 at worst. On average the ping is 185 or so, while it is around 210-220 ms to French and German providers.

See this chart from Bharti Airtel (the second biggest ISP in India) that compares Prometeus and OVH. It's the same for Amazon etc. as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sr_WCZIONhiL4Gpcz64x4NP6XhIFeJqT

As for problems with being diverted to the US before coming to Milan, that is primarily a problem with a single ISP in India called Idea Cellular, which will be acquired by Vodafone in a couple of months and therefore, the issue should resolve itself.

Here is another chart from Idea and show routes to Milan (SeFlow, Prometeus, VPSFast Milan and VPSFast Barcelona).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=165UUqGNiUzK1TfafVHFmxTUsXdcNBXVJ