Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free hardcopy book on Version Control Systems (GIT, SVN, Mercurial)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free hardcopy book on Version Control Systems (GIT, SVN, Mercurial)

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited February 2012 in General

Hi,

a friend pointed me at this website:
http://www.ericsink.com/vcbe/

Eric Sink, the founder of SourceGear, offers a free hardcopy book with
Version Control System examples for GIT, SVN, Mercurial and some others.

Might be interesting so I wanted to share it with you guys :)

Comments

• NickMNickM Member
    edited February 2012

Such thinly disguised marketing... Eric Sink is the founder of SourceGear, which produces Veracity, one of the SCM systems that the book covers. I haven't read the book, but I'd be willing to bet that it's biased towards Veracity. While Veracity is free, SourceGear produces other SCM suites that are not. So really, I see this as indirect marketing for their paid solutions. They also say there's a Veracity hosting site (like github, but for Veracity) "coming soon", which I'm sure will also be a paid product (or at least require a subscription for advanced features, similar to github's model.

So, reader beware!

• Well, I know he developed Veracity and probably tries to convince the reader in using his stuff, but the main advantage is that there is a basic intro to GIT, SVN and Mercurial in a free book, which also features some of the most used commands. So it might come in hand as a reference?

• Ill probably get a copy to take a look. Ive always been interested in VCS and want to use them more then using GitHubs UI.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Received my copy yesterday. Brought it to work with me tonight but haven't had a chance to read it yet. :(

• I've had one for months and it is indeed thinly veiled marketing.

It does however cover the basics of the SCM tools covered but you can get that anywhere for free.

Save the trees.

• @NickM who cares, it's free :)

I ordered my copy just now, thanks guys.

• I received my copy yesterday too. It's a good primer if you're completely new to versioning systems, but otherwise, it's rather dry.

I noticed that they price on the back of the book states $34.95. I really hope no one actually pays $34.95 for it.

• @Damian4IPXcore

I think they put that on there so the people who get it for free feel like they really got something of value.

• My copy has to come to the UK - ordered a week ago - ill let you know when it arrives

• @exussum can't remember how long mine took (also uk), remember that I'd forgotten about it though

• I'm still waiting.. hell yeah, need more 20 days for custom, tax, bla2 etc.

• Thanks for this!!!! It will really help me!

• exussumexussum Member
    edited March 2012

Came today - ordered on the 2nd of feb - got a paperback but i kinda prefer them anyway. Posted from a UK address as well (from www.paperbackshop.co.uk) my guess is to keep costs down ?)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You can also get a PDF from that same link.

They no longer send free books outside the U.S.

• @raindog308: You can have mine if you'd like. Or anyone else for that matter.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Some googling shows it's been well-reviewed. Could be shams, though.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thank you for the link. I've requested one, maybe I can read and learn about it on planes, etc.

• tuxtux Member

I received it today. Ordered 3rd Feb. Shipped from Chicago, IL to EU.

• Picking up a copy for shits and giggles. Thanks.

• @tux paperback ?

• I received it today. need more than one month shipping from US to Indonesia? O.o thankfully this is free. :P

• @Mon5t3r said: I received it today. need more than one month shipping from US to Indonesia? O.o thankfully this is free. :P

I'm sure they used some pretty cheap shipping :P.

• @Kairus said: I'm sure they used some pretty cheap shipping :P.

yeah, mostly i always get the package(s) around 2-3 weeks (USPS first-class/priority mail) :D

• Thanks for sharing

• tuxtux Member

@exussum said: @tux paperback ?

Yes, paperback (ISBN 978-0-9835079-0-1).

• Mine was shipped in, basically, a flat piece of cardboard folded over the book.

• Same. mine was not sealed. But for free. who cares

• To bad they don't send outside of the USA anymore.. Well, better get the ebook on the ebook reader..