Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode / Linovus cancelling all budget accounts by the end of November
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode / Linovus cancelling all budget accounts by the end of November

pepa65pepa65 Member
edited November 2017 in Providers

This mail I received less than a week ago (1 day after I renewed my budget plan...):

Thank you for being a loyal Vortexnode customer. It is customers like you that make us proud of the business we have built together.

Over the past year we have grown our customer base quite a bit adding an average of more than a hundred customers per month! While this is a great achievement, we have seen the pace of this growth exceed our capacity particularly as we have grown our managed services businesses Linovus.hosting and Linovus.ca.

Many of our customers joined us during deep sales periods like Black Friday, End of Year and our January sales pushes. Over 50% of those customers signed up and have received annual services. We find that while the service has been reliable we have not had the level of customer service we would have liked and our customers deserve. This coupled with inflationary pricing changes and other pricing changed with our suppliers have made us have to rethink our strategy for 2018.

We have decided to move out of the budget hosting space and focus on cloud and managed hosting solutions. As a result the following changes are effective immediately.

1. We will not be renewing any budget services at the end of term or by the end of November 2017.

2. We will no longer be offering annual plans for our services. To keep your business we need to earn it and to have the staff to support it we need to charge more than we do today.

3. Deep discounted promos like “Deal of the Century” and “2016 Xmas” will not be honored in our managed offering. In many cases this may mean multiples of your promotional pricing.

4. Our commitment to you is to maintain a high level of uptime in accordance with our SLA.

5. Our commitment to you is to have better email, chat and ticket coverage 24/7

We understand that this may make you look to other providers that are more suitable for the price point you are looking for and we will do whatever we can to help you make a seamless migration if you do decide to move. We hope that the addition of staff and a focus on quality will be sufficient for you to stay and sign up with Linovus.hosting.

As a result of the items above, all budget pricing will be changed and annual invoice renewals at the existing deep discount will be cancelled.

I wish you all an excellent conclusion to 2017 and the best in 2018.

Definitely not ethical, but is that even legal?? If they promised this price point for life?

Comments

• The price point was for the "life" of the deal, not yours. This is pretty well a given.

Unethical? Possibly. Shitheaded? For sure.

• Yep, not entirely unexpected. Join the discussion

• There's already a thread on it. I'm just curious if they'll honor it now, you renewed a day before the announcement came out right?

• @Edmond said:
    There's already a thread on it. I'm just curious if they'll honor it now, you renewed a day before the announcement came out right?

PayPal certainly will offer a refund.

• Since it was only $1 I'm probably going to chalk it up to experience... Although I did pay through PayPal.

• Considering all of the people who were once cool are long gone, I'd say to do it out of spite. ;)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Depends on how much you are bitter, I guess. But then you won't lose anything other than perhaps 2 ~ 5 minutes of your time. But then one might question, why bother.

• @Edmond Thanks for the link. Strange, I really searched for any existing discussions on this, and the most recent one was May/June...

• @deank said:
    Depends on how much you are bitter, I guess. But then you won't lose anything other than perhaps 2 ~ 5 minutes of your time. But then one might question, why bother.

It's over a dollar. This is LET. We've had people killed for less.

• @WSS said:

@deank said:

It's over a dollar. This is LET. We've had people killed for less.

Also this isn't a charity.

• I have now opened a ticket and asked for a refund. I thought they would give another year of service and after that not renew (as I had just renewed). But chat confirmed all budget accounts go dark at the end of this month...

• (Edited the title to better state was is happening, not what that email said...)

Make sure you threaten them with a dispute as well as a class action lawsuit.

• @deank said:
    Make sure you threaten them with a dispute as well as a class action lawsuit.o

The legal fees will most definitely be 1000x the cost of his dollar server.

• @doghouch said:

@deank said:

It's the Principal of the thing, not the Net of a Gross Product!

Indeed, it's the principal of ego..., I mean, doing the right thing.

• i have just cancelled 2 vps there, fuck them...

• @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@deank said:

Plus if you win they get the lawyer bill not you. If you do it right that is, and fuck em anyways. That's the LET motto.

• @AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@deank said:

Plus if you win they get the lawyer bill not you. If you do it right that is, and fuck em anyways. That's the LET motto.

..nobody decided to run with the monetary pun? Fine.

Yeah, it usually ends up being "We have more money than you so you can settle for your dollar, or you get OUR lawyer bills, too."

• Unless I don't pay my lawyer mwahahaha.

• :o REAL LAWYER LIFE HACKS!

• Paypal notified me of Linovus having fully refunded me.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Unless I don't pay my lawyer mwahahaha.

That’s a real LET layer.
    You should tell him to offer some BF deals here!

• Now is the time to buy that Ferrari you wanted. Go get it boi.

@pepa65 said:
    Paypal notified me of Linovus having fully refunded me.

Thanked by 1pepa65