Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMware ESXi on SoftRaid SoyouStart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMware ESXi on SoftRaid SoyouStart

marsonmarson Member
edited November 2017 in General

Hello

I would like to ask you about something, I read somewhere that VMware ESXi doesn't support Software RAID so what's the purpose of offering VMware ESXi by OVH on SoyouStart Servers? I think that almost nobody will risk setting-up VMs without RAID protection. Or maybe I am totally wrong and OVH was able to workaround that limitation and Vmware hypervisor installed on those servers can utilise disk in RAID?

Comments

• SoftRAID and ROM(Fake)RAID just aren't supported. The option exists since they assume you'll just pay the extra for hardware RAID.

• WSS said: SoftRAID and ROM(Fake)RAID just aren't supported. The option exists since they assume you'll just pay the extra for hardware RAID.

so do you mean that HW RAID can be ordered as an addon to any SoYouStart server? I can't see such option on their panel

• It's more of a "These are our templates" across OVH. You can even load ESXi on Kimsufi. You just have to know better.

• thanks for the info, I just hope to use vmware on my server.

• Get a better machine, or setup a software raid in Debian, then install Proxmox on it.

• If you're using proxmox the installer does zfs raid1 sw at install time.

• @hzr said:
    If you're using proxmox the installer does zfs raid1 sw at install time.

* Unless BIOS/FakeRAID

• but fakeraid is awful, i'd trust mdadm over that.

• Well, yeah, but since @marson comes here at least once a day for free Admin help, I figured I'd cut through the next thread.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Akito
  • marsonmarson Member
    edited November 2017

WSS said: Well, yeah, but since @marson comes here at least once a day for free Admin help, I figured I'd cut through the next thread.

What? When I asked for free help? I remember only ONE post when I asked about solve my proxmox problem without a node reboot, even more... couple of times I tried to help others. I don't want be rude so I kindly ask, maybe you mismatch me with somebody else?

One more think, my question was because of curiosity, now I have 1 server based on XenServer, 1 on proxmox and 1 on Virtualizor - this is enough for now, but I thought that next time I will try vmware.

• There's nothing wrong with learning, or asking questions. I'm just giving you shit for asking questions that are quickly answered on the first page of Google.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WSS said: There's nothing wrong with learning, or asking questions. I'm just giving you shit for asking questions that are quickly answered on the first page of Google.

How does one linux

• @sin said:

WSS said: There's nothing wrong with learning, or asking questions. I'm just giving you shit for asking questions that are quickly answered on the first page of Google.

How does one linux

Fifteen.

Thanked by 1sin
  • EasedEased Member, Host Rep

For the most part ESXi does not recognize software raid. You must (and should) use hardware raid.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You can use software/FakeRAID on ESXi 5.0 and earlier. But 5.5 and later will not even let you install it. SYS should give you the option of a USB or SD card though since this is the preferred install method for ESXi these days.

• I think that almost nobody will risk setting-up VMs without RAID protection.

That's not entirely accurate. Almost everybody risks setting up their own computer without RAID protection. How did you come up with that conclusion?

• Thanks for all replies. I remember that in the past configs with HW RAID was available but now it is not, but... Blackfriday is coming and I hope to get something for 20 - 25 eur / month with HW RAID in eu location.

• Oneprovider Intel Xeon L3426, 25e/m or

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market#765125