Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Liquidweb vs Quadranet - Managed server reviews wanted
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Liquidweb vs Quadranet - Managed server reviews wanted

Hi All,

We have a fully managed server with liquidweb. I have heard a lot about their support however lately their support is not as good as it was. It seems after wiredtree acquisition, the support agents are not able to cope up with the support tickets. There was an instance where my ticket was literally left open for about 24 hours before I went on their live chat and asked that to be solved. It was then solved in about 2 hours. The reason we're paying premium for managed services is because we want to focus more on business side of things rather than managing the server

I've read about quadranet and we approached them and were offered fully managed server for about the same price of liquidweb. I've tested their network and everything seems really good at Quadranet. I've read complaints from other users as well concerning the support from liquidweb. Liquidweb has acknowledged this as well and has promised to improve this over the coming months. Any reviews will be really appreciated.

Should we go ahead and move over to quadranet from liquidweb or wait for them to improve? Liquidweb is a company which boasts of their heroic support so should we really wait?

This server is used to host an ecommerce website targeting Indian visitors.

Comments

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2017

Check out Quadranet and Hivelocity I have clients who migrated off Wiredtree/Liquidweb migration disaster to both Quadranet and Hivelocity who are happy. Quadranet definitely could negotiate a better pricing that was cheaper for my clients while Hivelocity didn't have much room to move on price. Quadranet custom quotes were between 40-55% cheaper than the dozens of other web hosts I asked quotes for on behalf of my clients. Quadranet even did free upgrade from 4x512GB SSD to 4x1TB SSD when they didn't have stock of 512GB SSD on hand and didn't want to delay my clients order.

Though eventually one of my Quadranet clients had to move off due to an extended SSD failure/replacement issue (out of stock for replacement SSD) and couldn't wait for server to be back online so i moved them to Linode + Linode Managed Services. Maybe bad luck for my clients to have SSD stock issues?

From Liquidweb reports on WHT, it only has gotten much worser support wise so definitely look at moving. Not sure if Quadranet still offer this but for ex-Wiredtree clients migrating to Quadranet, they threw in free reactive managed service support at the time.

Both Quadranet and Hivelocity now have US West Coast data center offerings too so closer to Indian targeted visitors. Something I personally like as US West Coast is my preferred location for hosting :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

eva2000 said: Wiredtree/Liquidweb migration disaster

I keep hearing this but have never got the whole story.

I used WT for a while and loved them, but it was pre-LW. I understand WT people were ex-LW.

So what was the disaster?

eva2000 said: From Liquidweb reports on WHT

Turned off my ad blocker long enough to see that WHT is still hosted on LW.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2017

14 page run down of Wiredtree/Liquidweb https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374

basic gist of some of the issues

1. lack of communication for migration scheduling
    2. issues with post migration to Liquidweb due to custom configs and setups not being replicated on new servers i.e. simple stuff like not having specific php extensions required for web apps ie. redis, memcache/memcached php extensions or redis, memcached, varnish, sphinxsearch and elasticsearch server configurations. This stuff can easily be scripted to check for before/after migration ! There was no option for clients to migrate themselves either as my clients could of hired me and do a problem free migration.
    3. slow support response time and inexperienced tech support stuff - some tickets didn't get any reply in 4+ days ! This is coming from Wiredtree clients who usually experience 15-30 min reply/resolution times
    4. promised better server hardware was relative - how's going from Xeon 53xx at wiredtree to Xeon 54xx liquidweb that much better at high prices relative to other offerings ? and some had less disk space and ips. Some didn't get promised same IPs migrated over IIRC
    5. poor planning in general for migration

Everyone of my Wiredtree clients that I suggested to move away from Liquidweb and not take on the migration, moved to better hosting without any migration issues and went on to better hardware for less $$$ or better hardware for a minor bump in price.

Every Wiredtree client of mine who decided to stay and go through Liquidweb migration, ended up with migration issues and headaches.

Still sad as I was with Wiredtree for nearly 9+ yrs and alot of my clients were there for 5-6+ yrs too.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@eva2000 said: Everyone of my Wiredtree clients that I suggested to move away from Liquidweb and not take on the migration, moved to better hosting without any migration issues and went on to better hardware for less $$$ or better hardware for a minor bump in price.

For the price people were paying for the spec (in 2017), they really should've given clients a lot in terms of hardware upgrades - but really just ended up with 'meh'. We had 2 clients using them still (4-5 years) and moved them off pretty quickly post-migration.

• Indeed.. at one stage WHT offers section had Liquidweb brand new server configs discounted at prices for modern hardware that were only a few dollars more than the ex-Wiredtree migrated clients' Liquidweb servers which had previous gen hardware.

It would of been better for client to just get a new Liquidweb dedicated and migrate themselves from their Wiredtree servers. Though you'd still be stuck with poor tech support. Not really attractive given alternative offerings available from likes of Quadranet and Hivelocity.

• arpanjotarpanjot Member
    edited November 2017

In my case , the ticket was left opened for around 24 hours . Though their initial response time was under 30 minutes, the follow ups were delayed. When I asked them about the cause of delay, they told me the shift of my the engineer handling my ticket was over and it would be assigned over to another engineer. The other engineer took care of it then . I really hope they improve because we got a good limited deal from them and are really considering second though while moving away from them. We're paying paying $139 for a fully managed E3 1240 cloud dedicated , 32 GB Ram ,489 GB ssd including cPanel

@eva2000 thank you for your information . How is managed support of quadranet ? Liquidweb does have a 30 minute sla for tickets which I think quadranet misses. Are they really proactive and are your clients happy with managed services of quadranet?

PS - We are a direct liquidweb customer, not wiredtree

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

arpanjot said: How is managed support of quadranet ? Liquidweb does have a 30 minute sla for tickets which I think quadranet misses. Are they really proactive and are your clients happy with managed services of quadranet?

Quadranet support team is really fast too . I am not using managed services but they are helpful and very fast .

• arpanjot said: thank you for your information . How is managed support of quadranet ? Liquidweb does have a 30 minute sla for tickets which I think quadranet misses. Are they really proactive and are your clients happy with managed services of quadranet?

Quadranet and Hivelocity support better than Liquidweb but still slower than old Wiredtree. Quadranet has both reactive and proactive managed services at additional costs https://www.quadranet.com/server-management. I only experienced reactive management which was thrown in for free for ex-Wiredtree refugees.

Thanked by 1arpanjot
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2017

Two options not mentioned...
    For fast and quality support, similar to what the good old wiredtree was:

--KnownHost

Then

--BigScoots

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2017

Yup Knownhost and Bigscoots are other alternatives too

Thanked by 1arpanjot