Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a newbie choose a web host - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help a newbie choose a web host

2»

Comments

• @depricated said:
    4. Wordpress, joomla? ... Drupal?

Whatever you do, make sure that you stay FAR away from joomla.

In respect to WP <-> Drupal:
    Those can not really be compared as they are really different things.
    WP is a blooging engine on steroids whereas Drupal is a real CMS.
    Both are mature and stable products.
    You should go for which fits your needs better.

• Thanks for all the input. I'll probably make my decision soon after BF/CM.

Managed hosting is much more expensive and the sites are not critical so I don't mind the learning curve, so I'm looking for unmanaged.

Fairly sure I'll go with BuyShared @Francisco. Specs aside, the history of threads on here, the fact that FranTech has an IRC channel, the Canada Day twitter post ;) , and the totally random fact that my currently parked domain at NameSilo seems to be hosted with FranTech Solutions... all point in that direction.

@Frameworks, I still quite like your offer. I may still try it in the future. Hopefully others do too and build a reputation.

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • @southy said:

@depricated said:
    4. Wordpress, joomla? ... Drupal?

Whatever you do, make sure that you stay FAR away from joomla.

In respect to WP <-> Drupal:
    Those can not really be compared as they are really different things.
    WP is a blooging engine on steroids whereas Drupal is a real CMS.
    Both are mature and stable products.
    You should go for which fits your needs better.

Thanks. I'm going to make a separate thread about CMS. In short I'll be looking for a modern WP. Bolt, Grav, October on the ones I'm considering right now.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dragon1993 said:

@WSS said:

@dragon1993 said:
    Default mail function not work, but return 1.

This is to be expected- so it isn't abused. You generally need to open a ticket and ask for access to send mail.

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/alt/php70/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysql.so' - /opt/alt/php70/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

If I have a lot of time for configuration problems, i try again.

PHP 7 doesn't have mysql; it uses mysqli. Someone was lazy with the config files, or didn't know what they were doing. Use PHP 5.

I'm using only PDO.
    I do not understand why i got a warning.

Conclusion: Previous cpanel hosting service provider all site work, on buyshared got more config problem.

We don't change our PHP configs much minus add a few extra options to the "Extensions" area. Our sendmail thing is custom and if we made it public I guarantee you every single host out there would use it.

The product isn't perfect, we're always learning about what we need more of to smooth it out. Early in the New Year when I do the block storage roll out we'll give the nodes a nice CPU upgrade to smooth things even more :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1vanhels
  • @Francisco said:

@dragon1993 said:

@WSS said:

@dragon1993 said:
    Default mail function not work, but return 1.

This is to be expected- so it isn't abused. You generally need to open a ticket and ask for access to send mail.

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/alt/php70/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysql.so' - /opt/alt/php70/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysql.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

If I have a lot of time for configuration problems, i try again.

PHP 7 doesn't have mysql; it uses mysqli. Someone was lazy with the config files, or didn't know what they were doing. Use PHP 5.

I'm using only PDO.
    I do not understand why i got a warning.

Conclusion: Previous cpanel hosting service provider all site work, on buyshared got more config problem.

We don't change our PHP configs much minus add a few extra options to the "Extensions" area. Our sendmail thing is custom and if we made it public I guarantee you every single host out there would use it.

The product isn't perfect, we're always learning about what we need more of to smooth it out. Early in the New Year when I do the block storage roll out we'll give the nodes a nice CPU upgrade to smooth things even more :)

Francisco

If it's available again in NL, i try again.

• If you are just doing static sites then github, netlify and surge are great options.

• @Farish said:
    If you are just doing static sites then github, netlify and surge are great options.

Can github be used to host multiple sites? In any case, non-techies would surely freak out at having to deal with github...

On another note, what kind of latencies are acceptable when choosing a server location?

• @depricated said:

@Farish said:
    If you are just doing static sites then github, netlify and surge are great options.

Can github be used to host multiple sites? In any case, non-techies would surely freak out at having to deal with github...

>

It can but if you plan to use multiple domain names you will have to use redirects otherwise you would have to setup a github account for each site. It isn't that tech friendly. Netlify might be a better option for this. I am not sure on surge's policy.

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited November 2017

@Farish said:

@depricated said:

@Farish said:

>

It can but if you plan to use multiple domain names you will have to use redirects otherwise you would have to setup a github account for each site. It isn't that tech friendly. Netlify might be a better option for this. I am not sure on surge's policy.

No redirects required; just drop the domain name in a CNAME file in the root of the repo, and set your DNS to point a CNAME to your github.io site. One repo per site, but you can put them all under one github account.

https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-a-custom-subdomain/

• depricated said: On another note, what kind of latencies are acceptable when choosing a server location?

What is acceptable to you, and from where? I suggest checking some sites that you think are appropriate and check the latency on those. Then you have a number, and all you need is to find a server that gives that kind of latency from your preferred location/area. Cheaper hosts will also vary wildly from minute to minute, depending on what other clients are doing.

• @Ole_Juul said:

depricated said: On another note, what kind of latencies are acceptable when choosing a server location?

What is acceptable to you, and from where? I suggest checking some sites that you think are appropriate and check the latency on those. Then you have a number, and all you need is to find a server that gives that kind of latency from your preferred location/area. Cheaper hosts will also vary wildly from minute to minute, depending on what other clients are doing.

Existing sites that I checked are showing 10-30ms. Both of BuyShared's servers are ~100ms for me. (Incidentally, shared hosting is also out of stock...)

On one hand, that's an order of magnitude difference. On the other hand, loading content will take 1-2 orders of magnitude more. Is there a rule of thumb for what is acceptable server latency? And yes this doesn't address variance in latency.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

Whatever you go with make sure to use caching on shared hosting solutions. for example on word press WP-super cache does an amazing job if you preload. Static pages and content will load amazingly quickly afterwards. Dynamic sites and apps will do much better with a low end vps though. Generally 512mb ram vps is enough if you avoid a gui on the setup.

Thanked by 1depricated
  • @depricated said:

On one hand, that's an order of magnitude difference. On the other hand, loading content will take 1-2 orders of magnitude more. Is there a rule of thumb for what is acceptable server latency? And yes this doesn't address variance in latency.

Do consider where people accessing your sites will be coming from. If it's a local business website
    most people accessing the site will be local to the business area and so latency from there will matter.

If it's a website being accessed regularly by people all across the US you should check latency from
    different parts of the US.

A server within a few hundred miles can typically have a latency of < 30ms while one across the country can be > 100 ms.

Latency is more important if your website generates lots of individual requests that can't be loaded concurrently.

Also if you have a lot of pages and your pages won't be liable to be cached on the server disk access time can important.

If your website typically loads in < 1/2 second though it will seem quick enough.

Test your site with tools like:
    http://www.webpagetest.org/
    to get an idea on what the speed and bottlenecks are.

Thanked by 1depricated