Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Problem with ChicagoVPS (SOLVED)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Big Problem with ChicagoVPS (SOLVED)

aglodekaglodek Member
edited August 2013 in Providers

ChicagoVPS suspended my VPS yesterday. Chris Fabozzi had given no notice or reason whatsoever. Never had this happen to me before and had no idea, thinking this was temporary downtime. Found out it had been suspended after logging in to their CP after more than 10 hours downtime. Opened a ticket asking them what gives but no reply to ticket for over 12 hours.

I have been with Chris for about 2 years and have 4 containers there, all long term 6-month or 12-month plans. I'm a pretty patient person but this is very strange and disturbing. Never too quick to reply to tickets, Chris or one of his guys used to reply within hours if not faster. Not anymore. Not knowing what's going on there, I'm pretty worried about my other containers now. Two of them are coming up for renewal for another 6 months, so maybe a good time to diversify things a bit and move to other providers, especially with so many new great deals out there.

Has anyone here encountered any such problems with ChicagoVPS recently, i.e. unexplained suspensions, lack of communication, no reply to tickets...?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nope

• I haven't had any issues with them myself when I was a customer.

Maybe @CVPS_Chris or @CVPS_Luc or @CVPS_Adam could help you out here?

• If your bills are paid, it was probably suspended manually. Its possible they saw you doing something against their ToS. Double check your spam folder to see if they sent you a notification. I'm not saying you did something wrong but it is a possibility since it seemed to be done manually.

No experience with them, so I could be wrong.

• @ryguy222: Adam has just replied to my ticket explaining that the container exceeded bandwidth allocation, hence the suspension. Notification emails went to Gmail spam folder.

Apparrently Google changed something in their Gmail settings earlier this month, treating many heretofore bonafide emails as spam. Same problem with thousands daily Kloxo Cpanel notifications over these past 2 weeks, generated from this container, which Google redirected to Gmail's spam folder, resulting in their not being forwarded to my regular email address! Unchecked, this flood of outgoing notifications caused the abnormal spike in bandwidth usage.

Lesson learned: be very careful utilizing any external email service like Gmail, where settings can change from day to day without notice.

• Glad it's resolved!

• The way to verify this is: Service @ WHMCS is Active, VPS is actually suspended. That actually means suspended due to out of bandwidth.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

Has anyone here encountered any such problems with ChicagoVPS recently

Define recently. Past 5 minutes, no. Past 10 minutes, yes. .

14  * as29761.xe-5-0-1.ar1.lax2.us.nlayer.net (69.31.127.42)  83.625 ms  89.463 ms
    15  colo-lax6 (96.44.180.102)  88.225 ms  89.120 ms  88.844 ms
    16  * * *
    17  host.colocrossing.com (192.210.148.250)  5094.023 ms !H * *

edited to add: to be fair to CVPS, I also have a CVPS openvz VPS with uptime of 100 days since the last reboot.

• @concerto49: that's how I found it had been suspended (actually, it said "disabled"). No way to know the reason, though, having not received the 2 notification emails from ChicagoVPS that went to Gmail's spam folder and were not forwarded to my email address (heck, never thought of that!).

Question: any way to completely disable spam protection in Gmail?
    Personally, I prefer to get (and one-click delete) all spam, knowing that all important, bonafide correspondence makes it through, too. Preferable to having to remember and login and check the spam folder periodically.

• < Question: any way to completely disable spam protection in Gmail?

No. Add a filter with 'chicagovps.net' in the from field and click never send to spam.

• When I had my container suspended at Servermania, they had opened a ticket. I never received a notification mail, but logging into the panel, that ticket was the first thing that caught my attention. I think that's the decent way to suspend a VPS.

• @joelgm said:
    When I had my container suspended at Servermania, they had opened a ticket. I never received a notification mail, but logging into the panel, that ticket was the first thing that caught my attention. I think that's the decent way to suspend a VPS.

Auto notifications usually send an email. Tickets don't get created. Maybe you can create a feature request for WHMCS.

• @concerto49 said:
    Auto notifications usually send an email. Tickets don't get created. Maybe you can create a feature request for WHMCS.

I'm not a provider, and dont have a WHMCS license. Why would they listen to me?

• @DomainBop said: No. Add a filter with 'chicagovps.net' in the from field and click never send to spam.

Not a viable solution. Impossible to foresee all possible sent-from addresses/domains to whitelist. For example: ChicagoVPS sent their notifications from an obscure '[email protected]'. This goes to Gmail's spam folder. Their auto-notification emails from '[email protected]' and '[email protected]', on the other hand, go straight to my inbox.

• @joelgm said:
    I'm not a provider, and dont have a WHMCS license. Why would they listen to me?

The software isn't just for providers. I hope not anyway. It's a client AND host software. Without clients, there are NO hosts.