Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can those Cheap VPSes do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can those Cheap VPSes do?

2»

Comments

• @WSS said:
    For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

What's wrong with bind? Seriously, OK, it can be insecure and file-based instead of DB, but it can be chrooted, isolated by separated VM or even use geographically dispersed cheap VPSes like I do.

Also, please keep in mind, that if we talking about DirectAdmin control panel it can be difficult to incorporate better solution such as PowerDNS, I know that cpanel support PowerDNS, but DA is not.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@atheros said:

WSS said: For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

Can you make some suggestions?

Absolutely, but the spergs' on WikiPederast seem to have done a great job, already.

For instance, there is nsd, which is bind zone compatible, and the config is incredibly simple. I literally replaced BIND within 3 hours with no prior experience with the product. Years later, it's still one of my favorite low-footprint secure-transfer capable products.

I may look into Knot-DNS next due to it's featureset.

@marson said:

@WSS said:
    For fucks' sake. It's 2017. Stop suggesting bind. We have options now.

>

What's wrong with bind? Seriously, OK, it can be insecure and file-based instead of DB, but it can be chrooted, isolated by separated VM or even use geographically dispersed cheap VPSes like I do.

You can do the same with sendmail- but it's still shit software. Replacing it with Postfix, exim, et al, is what most have chosen to do.

I managed BIND for years, and I think I'd prefer to handle an Exchange service, if that tells you anything. Does it work? Yes. Is it exploitable somewhere? Generally. Is it painful? Quite.

• @raindog308 said:

Chad said: ps:what does the "desktop in the sky" means

Create a VPS with a desktop GUI (Linux or Windows) and remote into it. No matter where you are, that desktop will always be the same. It's not useful in all scenarios but some like it.

Absolutely. My job blocks a ton of ports so, I just use Teamviewer to get to a remote desktop when I need to administer other servers of mine.

• vanhelsvanhels Member
    edited November 2017

what do you think of dnsmanager.cc, powerdns @wss

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, we could create some kind of LET cloud storage.

When we would get enough servers together. P2P, encrypted.

Thanked by 1JackH
  • idling

• @vanhels Use what works for you, but do some research and see what you're getting into.

• @wss thanks for your advice, I've worked with bind, powerdns, earl-dns, and one of my vps the provider has an interface like dnsmanager I think it works with bind I'm not sure, the first time I hear from nsd, I read a bit and they say it's excellent for the memory consumption apart from being compatible with the settings of bind zones, and quiet I do not care at all to say that I am new to let, the idea is to learn, thanks for your recommendation with nsd.

• nsd literally reads and uses BIND zone format to make it easier to migrate to. I've got 100 zones running in about 30MB, not that it ever grows much when slashdotted. 3 of the top root servers use it, and the others are so political that might get nsd by 2032. Maybe.

PowerDNS never really drew me due to overhead and being a completely-different design. With nsd, I only did initially after rechecking djbdns because it- supports ipv6, doesn't need custom created text entries to handle things made after the 90s, wasn't so bizarre to migrate to with a completely different ideology, subsystem, and a product to fork it as a daemon, et al..

Long story short, we use what we're comfortable with, but blindly suggesting "the most well known"/"it's been around forever" is rarely the best case in our current internet.

Thanked by 1vanhels
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think I'm going to create a free host that offers multiple packages and options, but doesn't actually provide a VPS. You can go into the panel and buy something, reimage it, change the hostname, etc. but it's all virtual. All you get is the knowledge that you have 2c/4G/100G/2TB idling and if you don't really, what's the difference?

It'll be ridiculous cheap (maybe only accept a LET cryptocoin?) and completely explicit: "You are buying a VPS to idle. That's all you're allowed to do with it. Free backups."

Thanked by 3MasonR WSS willie
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@raindog308 said:
    I think I'm going to create a free host that offers multiple packages and options, but doesn't actually provide a VPS. You can go into the panel and buy something, reimage it, change the hostname, etc. but it's all virtual. All you get is the knowledge that you have 2c/4G/100G/2TB idling and if you don't really, what's the difference?

It'll be ridiculous cheap (maybe only accept a LET cryptocoin?) and completely explicit: "You are buying a VPS to idle. That's all you're allowed to do with it. Free backups."

• @raindog308 said:

Nah, take PayPal too, but ban China.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'll think I'll offer Managed Idle Hosting as well, as well as monitoring. And block storage.

Maybe resource pools.

Well, no way I'll get this done by Black Friday...gonna need more venture capital.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

@wss those wiki pages severely lack a mention of dnsdist imho, I usually place it in front of $dns_server_software and it's great

• @mfs said:
    @wss those wiki pages severely lack a mention of dnsdist imho, I usually place it in front of $dns_server_software and it's great

dnsdist is a load balancer made by PowerDNS, isn't it? It's not specifically the nameserver, per se.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

WSS said: dnsdist is a load balancer made by PowerDNS, isn't it? It's not specifically the nameserver, per se.

correct, it does help in "sanitizing" the requests to the underlying nameserver(s) whilst load-balancing and eventually implementing dnscrypt and whatnot. Not even the PowerDNS wiki page seems to mention it

• It probably isn't mentioned because last I recalled it was an interpreted language. Looks like it still is. Lua may be fast, but I don't think I'd want that in front of my services; I'd rather have Juniper.

I'm assuming as it isn't directly the service, it doesn't fall under the WP guidelines.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

It's mostly C++ with lua configs; it fits nicely in a cheap VPS too and even if it won't replace more complex and appropriate solutions, it's being used in production.

The PowerDNS wikipedia page mentions the authoritative server, the recursor but not dnsdist probably to fit into those comparisons schemes, right, yet it's one of the three main products on the company's homepage and in their repo. In the same wiki page there's even mention of the (unrelated) "pdnsd, a caching DNS proxy" to "disambiguate" it from PowerDNS, yet no mentions of the PowerDNS product itself. Well, I was just throwing my 2¢ here

• So, edit the page.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

I've seen people signing up and debate on wikipedia talk pages about gory details of some technical articles related to their field of study/expertise/interest, and it's invariably pretty painful to observe their evolution in the distance; I'll pass

Neoon said: some kind of LET cloud storage.

When we would get enough servers together. P2P, encrypted.

storjLET?