Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mailcheap Raising Prices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mailcheap Raising Prices

2»

Comments

• @Harambe said:
    Huge price increase for premium really bums me out, $60 a year was fine for handling a few accounts but not putting out $120 for it.

Yeah, that's a bit nuts. @mailcheap - Pavin, come talk to us. Also, holy shit how much space do you use? I thought my 2GB because I'm too lazy to prune pictures and some correspondence with the now-dead was kind of pushing things (not VortexNode).

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    Also, holy shit how much space do you use? I thought my 2GB because I'm too lazy to prune pictures and some correspondence with the now-dead was kind of pushing things (not VortexNode).

I use like zero space, I would be fine with a 1GB plan. I only bought it because HA mail server sounded cool for the price :P

I'd move to the standard plans, but with the price increase can only get a 20GB plan for the same price I'm paying now - and I don't need the extra space. Will probably self-host a couple accounts and then put the others on MXRoute.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I just moved to Mailcheap a couple months back, myself. I don't like the "Well time to move or pay up" ideology when I'm giving up hardware to save money. I'm already down half of where I was, but there isn't much left to trash, either.

I want to give jarland more work, but I am someone who loses their shit if my MTA is down.

edited November 2017

@WSS said:

I wonder if my AWS credits work for Amazon WorkMail. I bought some $150 AWS vouchers for $10-15 on ebay that I use for S3 + Route53... hmm.

Edit: Nope. Dammit.

• @WSS said:
    No. That was jarland. He's MXRoute. I agree with grandfatehred prices when they're sustainable. However, if a $10 service is now magically $45, he's going to lose many, many clients. I like Pavin, but I will not attempt to justify his service costing 75% of Google and Outlook.com. Although I have no complaints about the service- it becomes a simpler task of "Which one is guaranteed to be there in another 5 years."

Gotcha. Must be tough to pick out all the spammer but that's the name of the game in email hosting
    I like how @fransico does it. Hit a limit post sold out. Bringing a bunch of people on then back peddling isn't a good route

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

sureiam said: Hit a limit post sold out.

And keep a reserve.
    I personally have a very hard time when people hosting with us for years ask for a particular plan which is sold out.

@Maounique said:

And keep a reserve.
    I personally have a very hard time when people hosting with us for years ask for a particular plan which is sold out.

That's good, and room for upgrades if a long time client wants to increase resources.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Hey everyone,

The product has changed (and hopefully improved) a lot in the past year. I understand some of these changes are not LE-centric but we've always focused on bringing enterprise email to customers without any per user restrictions. The "enterprise" part is where we've accrued costs and perhaps diverged from the simple email product you bought.
    Everything from EAS to machine learning filters and geo-redundancy adds a little bit to the overall cost.

Ultimately only you can assign value to a product and what it means for you and your business. I'm thankful for all the support and trust you've shown us and despite the price increase I hope you see the value in it.

Best Regards,

Pavin Joseph.

• @mailcheap,
    I'd like to try out your SMTP relay service for a new project under development for a client. What best prices/pkg can you offer me ?

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2017

I think it's great that you decided and have been able to up your game, but I have to say that I'm surprised that you still use that colombian TLD.

I know many registrars have been trying to brand that as a company thing, but to me (and I guess to other potentials customers) a site on .co for a website that's not related to colombia sounds like some low quality stuff trying to fake the real stuff that could be on the samename.com...

Cyberlabs s.r.o. CZ & Cyberlabs Inc. USA - that's kinda far from Colombia..

edit: would love to try your service some day by the way, if you have a small package for LETers one of these days, I think that many people might enjoy it

• @datanoise said: I think it's great that you decided and have been able to up your game, but I have to say that I'm surprised that you still use that colombian TLD.

I know many registrars have been trying to brand that as a company thing, but to me (and I guess to other potentials customers) a site on .co for a website that's not related to colombia sounds like some low quality stuff trying to fake the real stuff that could be on the samename.com...

There are many-many respectable .co sites that are not Columbian.

A search on google.com for "cheap mail" returns mailcheap.co as the first hit, so Google isn't penalizing Mailcheap for its TLD. In practical terms, this is a more important factor than the choice of .co as the TLD.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2017

angstrom said: A search on google.com for "cheap mail" returns mailcheap.co as the first hit, so Google isn't penalizing Mailcheap for its TLD. In practical terms, this is a more important factor than the choice of .co as the TLD.

I know google doesn't care, I don't speak about google but about myself and other potential customers. Maybe I'm the only one on the planet feeling like .co sounds cheap when you offer entreprise grade services. But maybe not.

• Did you guys get an email announcing it?

For my plan their is no increase yet it seems.

• @chrisp , wait until next month

Fine to increase prices for the improved service and enterprise level one, but what about leaving the old plans as they were for people satisfied with the low quality and support they were originally at?
    /s

Thanked by 2vimalware bersy
  • @Maounique said:
    Fine to increase prices for the improved service and enterprise level one, but what about leaving the old plans as they were for people satisfied with the low quality and support they were originally at?
    /s

So you mean maintaining two different setups? Sure - seems logical.

edited November 2017

Zerpy said: So you mean maintaining two different setups? Sure - seems logical.

Most VPS providers can maintain multiple setups, from simple ovz with solus, through xen and kvm with virtualizor up to complex cloud with own billing solution etc.
    I dont see why some email provider cant maintain a vps with the old setup and channeled through same delivery system as a relay.
    Increasing prices will never be popular, nor forced upgrades, my way or the highway.
    I admit i am cheap and dont like that, rich people can take the upgraded product, poor ones can stick with their minimalist services, it is not like they couldnt choose expensive ones from the start.

• It's called grandfathered pricing.

edited November 2017

vimalware said: It's called grandfathered pricing.

More like grandfathered product.
    OK, the new product can no longer be offered at old prices as involves a lot of new features, but then you can keep the old product for the people that already have it.
    IMO it makes sense to continue to offer it, who needs expensive product can choose the upgraded one, the others looking for mail el cheapo way, can use the old their money are still good, better some money than none, because many will vote with their feet and choose bigger companies for similar prices which is a shame, less competition, more concentration, lose-lose.
    Since it did not happen like that, this looks similar to bait and switch in a way, we advertise cheap mail but offer expensive one, the old cheap setup people knew and loved is no longer available, even more, the people that used it are forced to pay more, regardless of whether they need the new features or not, effectively subsidizing the people that do need them.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mehargags said:
    @mailcheap,
    I'd like to try out your SMTP relay service for a new project under development for a client. What best prices/pkg can you offer me ?

A solution I've found for this is to relay it all through an account created specifically for mail relay. If you want SMTP relay with whitelisted IPs/etc, the old price was $50/mo.

• @WSS said:

@mehargags said:
    @mailcheap,

A solution I've found for this is to relay it all through an account created specifically for mail relay. If you want SMTP relay with whitelisted IPs/etc, the old price was $50/mo.

Well, I'm talking about only SMTP relay account alone, I'm not yet his customer as such.
    The present price looks $59/mo for a million mails

• That sounds about right.

• @ehab said:
    @chrisp , wait until next month

Yeah first level support was super fast and friendly to tell me about it. It's basically prices on the website for everyone, no more discounts it seems. Well for me it was 23,88$ before and will be 48$ a year. It's still not an unfair price, however I will have to vote with my wallet by canceling. @mailcheap, I totally disagree with the handling and the massive jump of that price increase.

• For me the price has doubled from $24 to $48 per year. I have three domains with two accounts each on the service so six accounts total and while I agree it could have been handled differently I'll still renew with them. It's still fantastic value and cheaper than most of the competition.

• While the price/perf of mailcheap is still good, the problem for me is that I just dont need the amount of resources even the smallest bundle gives. And at that point I can get a 20-25$/y bundle instead from a different provider that still gives me more than I need.

3-4 gb of space, 2 domains, blacklists, a few aliases and calendar is pretty much all I need.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • Maybe now they have to delete the "Annual price (recurring):" from LET offers :-)

• People gotta eat right?

:)