Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing OS for Low-Memory VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choosing OS for Low-Memory VPS

LuckManLuckMan Member
edited November 2017 in Help

Hi. I'm new to VPS (never have one) and am planing to buy one for temporary storage purposes. Basically, I'm going to use the VPS as an intermediate (IDK if that's the right word). I'll download files from direct links/torrents (no seeding) to my VPS and then upload the files to my personal cloud storage, and that's it.
So, from that functionality requirements, the server needs to be able to run Torrent Client, occasional Web Browser (because my cloud storage is web-based, GUI needed) and RDP, which is problematic for me because I have very little experience and knowledge about Linux/UNIX based OS, almost zero experience using VPS and not a network savvy. I used my friend's VPS not a long time ago but I only scratched the surface using RDP from my Windows 7 PC. The other problem is that I have a very limited budget and can only afford VPS with 512 MB RAM and 300GB disk space.
The question is, what OS and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) should I choose?
The options are:
1. CentOS version 5, 6, 7 (32 & 64)
2. Debian 6, 7, 8 (32 & 64)
3. Fedora 20 (32 & 64); 21, 22, 23 (64)
4. Ubuntu Server 12.04, 14.02 (32 & 64); 15.04, 16.04 (64)
Also, I hear that 32-bit Linux doesn't support large files (> 2GB)? Is it still or it's just an old story? My files are going to be larger than 2GB, so if it's true then I need to put that into consideration too.
Please state the reason if you don't mind.

P.S.: Sorry if it's such a mess, my first time here. I hope put this in the correct category (newbie). :D

Comments

• Do you actually want a "Web Browser", or a HTTP service? There are higher requirements for a browser which has GUI abilities, but a web server isn't anywhere nearly as resource-intensive. Since you claim you want RDP (Which is usually VNC based on Linux), I assume you actually mean a browser.

Get a 64 bit distribution with at least 2GB RAM. The hokey about a 32 bit build not handling large files is a filesystem issue, not an OS issue, and is a FAT12/16 problem. This won't be an issue.

If you don't know all of the work involved in handling a remote Linux installation with X11 GUI, well, I wouldn't suggest actually doing so, because there's a lot to learn, and if you ignore it, someone will probably manage to take over and abuse your service.

That said, all of the OS you suggested have various GUIs available. Most OpenVZ services don't come with GUIs preinstalled, so you'll have to install them yourself. If you get a KVM, or an LXC, you may have an easier time with the initial configuration.

Also:

Thanked by 1LuckMan
  • I choose Debian7, use aria2 download. Can you tell me where I can buy this vps? (Including 512mb ram and 300g disk)

• @Luckman honestly? This doesnt appear to be well thought through.
    Setting up this with X11/RDP is just a plain stupid idea.
    And even if we assume you find a way to do this properly (aka with web interface instead of X11) then your specs dont make much sense: a combination of so much HDD and so little RAM will be hard to find. (Or to put it differently: you will have to take one of the larger offerings)

But in all that, the questin of what OS to choose is probably the least important... you should first worry about your user interface and, then if you want to pay for the size of VPS that you will need and then about the OS.

Oh, and by the way: I have a personal aversion against people that steal.
    Just saying.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2017

in my opinion you would be best off with Debian 8 (as it uses less RAM than ubuntu but is basically the same).

Then install something like: http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedbox-tutorials/272859-script-rule.html that automatically installs webserver and a torrent client of your choosing. + other stuff you can opt in to. This allows you to have front end without having to install desktop enviorment. Do not use quickbox as that takes much more resources to run.

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dannyti/sboxsetup/master/sbfrmsc-dti.sh
    time bash ~/sbfrmsc-dti.sh

Thanked by 1LuckMan
  • @WSS said:
    Do you actually want a "Web Browser", or a HTTP service? There are higher requirements for a browser which has GUI abilities, but a web server isn't anywhere nearly as resource-intensive. Since you claim you want RDP (Which is usually VNC based on Linux), I assume you actually mean a browser.

Get a 64 bit distribution with at least 2GB RAM. The hokey about a 32 bit build not handling large files is a filesystem issue, not an OS issue, and is a FAT12/16 problem. This won't be an issue.

If you don't know all of the work involved in handling a remote Linux installation with X11 GUI, well, I wouldn't suggest actually doing so, because there's a lot to learn, and if you ignore it, someone will probably manage to take over and abuse your service.

That said, all of the OS you suggested have various GUIs available. Most OpenVZ services don't come with GUIs preinstalled, so you'll have to install them yourself. If you get a KVM, or an LXC, you may have an easier time with the initial configuration.

Also:

Yes, I mean a web browser, on the server.
    Well, I don't have the budget for a 2GB RAM VPS. :(
    So, as long the filesystem allows files larger than 2GB, 32-bit won't be a problem, right?
    And yes, I'll be using the OpenVZ (though I don't even know what that means XD).
    Thanks for the reply.

• @southy said:
    @Luckman honestly? This doesnt appear to be well thought through.
    Setting up this with X11/RDP is just a plain stupid idea.
    And even if we assume you find a way to do this properly (aka with web interface instead of X11) then your specs dont make much sense: a combination of so much HDD and so little RAM will be hard to find. (Or to put it differently: you will have to take one of the larger offerings)

But in all that, the questin of what OS to choose is probably the least important... you should first worry about your user interface and, then if you want to pay for the size of VPS that you will need and then about the OS.

Oh, and by the way: I have a personal aversion against people that steal.
    Just saying.

Well, I did say that I'm a newbie right?
    What do you mean by "steal"?
    Thanks for the input by the way.

• @LuckMan said:

Well, I did say that I'm a newbie right?

Oh don‘t worry, I figured that out all by myself. But that‘s why I was trying to actually give some useful advice: don‘t do a solution with a complete Desktop and a Browser on a VPS.
    That just doesnt make any sense at all.
    Look at what stefeman sayed. He seems to know an alternative.

What do you mean by "steal"?

„Steal“ as in „copying things that you did not pay for.“

Thanks for the input by the way.

You‘re welcome.

• @stefeman said:
    in my opinion you would be best off with Debian 8 (as it uses less RAM than ubuntu but is basically the same).

Then install something like: http://www.torrent-invites.com/seedbox-tutorials/272859-script-rule.html that automatically installs webserver and a torrent client of your choosing. + other stuff you can opt in to. This allows you to have front end without having to install desktop enviorment. Do not use quickbox as that takes much more resources to run.

wget --no-check-certificate https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dannyti/sboxsetup/master/sbfrmsc-dti.sh
    time bash ~/sbfrmsc-dti.sh

Thanks. I'll probably give it a go.
    Still have a lot to learn.

• LuckMan said: Yes, I mean a web browser, on the server.

cute

• @Ole_Juul said:
    cute

export DISPLAY=buttsecks:0; elinks ftp://ftp.textfiles.com/pub/...

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OK, install debian 7 32 and do the following:
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install xfce4 xrdp iceweasel mc transmission
    512 MB is a bit low but would do if you have some vswap.
    you can connect using root account, but thing slike vlc wont run so better make another one at the command line: adduser name and follow the instructions.
    Make sure you disable the screensaver in the desktop it is very heavy for a small machine, just choose blank.
    This will get you up and running but do not do anything else on the box, run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade every time you can to keep it current.
    I dont do torrenting but from what i have seen it is using some ram, so dont take more at once, you will also avoid abusing the disk this way.
    I am running a much heavier java setup on 1 GB ram with desktop and it struggles badly, but it is full virtualization, this means it uses much more ram for the kernel and such, so it will do for a minimum job as I described it.
    Oh, and don't open more than 2 tabs, the browser IS very heavy.

Thanked by 1LuckMan
  • LuckManLuckMan Member
    edited November 2017

@Maounique

Thank you for the advice. Saving it on a notepad. :D

• I myself is need something like this. And I am going with alpha racks.

I think for 2gb ram they have $20 a year.

I am installing vnc server on it. I thin the command is

bash <(curl centos7.panel.web.id/vnc/)

And I am using centos 7

Thanked by 1LuckMan
  • @yokowasis I just checked their site (https://www.alpharacks.com right?)
    They don't allow torrent downloading though. I actually rarely download from torrent, but it's a "necessary just in case I need it".
    Anyway, thanks for the info.