Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best storage to provide file downloads?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best storage to provide file downloads?

Hi there,

I'm planning to make a little (<50 users) private community of friends of mine for file sharing.

I'm looking for servers with best storage/price ratio. I'm not worried at all about if it's a dedi or vps, but don't want to get kicked or really disturbed by noisy neighbours.

I saw some 2x3Tb dedi at hetzner at ~35$. Did you know cheaper options? I think I won't use more than 5Tb bandwith per month (probably much less), but have some hour peeks.

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2017

Stick with Hetzner. You won’t have to deal with slow IO from other users on an oversold node. You also don’t have to deal with the provider if the disk fills itself, for example.

Simply put: don’t go with a VPS.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • tbh I'm looking for something cheaper to start (with less space, of course)

any options on ~15$?

• Check the latest offer from @cociu. It's a ton of storage for peanuts per month, but you are impacted quite a lot by noisy neighbors.

Otherwise wait for black friday, kimsufi might put some storage dedis on sale.

• @doghouch said:
    Stick with Hetzner. You won’t have to deal with slow IO from other users on the node, nor will you have to deal with the provider if the disk fills itself, for example.

This is the most solid advice possible. Maybe there will be some Black Friday specials.

• @teamacc said:
    Check the latest offer from @cociu. It's a ton of storage for peanuts per month, but you are impacted quite a lot by noisy neighbors.

Otherwise wait for black friday, kimsufi might put some storage dedis on sale.

time4vps cut from 400mbit/s to 100mbit/s and raised their prices, was a good option...

• Im working on a simple storage service at the moment but won't be ready until next month.

• @lurch said:
    Im working on a simple storage service at the moment but won't be ready until next month.

SerwerdediKowane HDD powered special? :P

• @Ympker said:

@lurch said:
    Im working on a simple storage service at the moment but won't be ready until next month.

Ha still deciding on a provider might grab a "slab"

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

@lurch said:

@Ympker said:

@lurch said:

Ha still deciding on a provider might grab a "slab"

I gotta resist but I need a server for test purposes soon anyway... daamn xD Waiting for BF^^

• zxhost is good.

• teamacc said: Check the latest offer from @cociu

thanks for mention. @Vancete Here you can fins our storage plans : https://www.hostsolutions.ro/eng/hosting/cheap-storage-vps

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

@Vancete said:
    don't want to get kicked or really disturbed by noisy neighbours.

lol bro.. You would be the noisy neighbor! Hogging up all that tasty IO and bandwidth when a new file is shared for the group. Stick to dedicated options.

Also set it to Raid 1 unless you have a backup solution for it with "unlimited" data. Then you can do Raid 0 with the understanding that you'll need to recover the data from backup if it fails. This doesn't sound like critical data which is why this is even an option.

• there are few websites who offers $10 servers too so you might need to check that out.

• @cociu said:

teamacc said: Check the latest offer from @cociu

thanks for mention. @Vancete Here you can fins our storage plans : https://www.hostsolutions.ro/eng/hosting/cheap-storage-vps

Will I get capped if I transfer 100Gb per day as http traffic? Can I start at the lower plan and upgrade later to a bigger one?

Weren't you the admin of time4vps? What happend?

Thx

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

Hubic.com offers 10TB accounts for cheap. Just get a few and open a closed community on IRC channel or Telegram somewhere.

• @cipher said:
    Hubic.com offers 10TB accounts for cheap. Just get a few and open a closed community on IRC channel or Telegram somewhere.

I've read tons of bad reviews of that

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I can do 500gb @ ~$16/6months.
    Nat storage and OpenVZ.
    In Lenoir, NC.

• @mikho said:
    I can do 500gb @ ~$16/6months.
    Nat storage and OpenVZ.
    In Lenoir, NC.

Looking for something at EU

@Vancete said:

@cipher said:

My friend uses it to backup a popular online blog he runs. He says it is pretty solid and stable. He is using it to backup a lot of things.

You can also go with Jottacloud's unlimited offer if you like.

• @cipher said:

@Vancete said:

@cipher said:

My friend uses it to backup a popular online blog he runs. He says it is pretty solid and stable. He is using it to backup a lot of things.

You can also go with Jottacloud's unlimited offer if you like.

How much sharing they accept?

I want to automate the direct-link getting process, not share the login data.

@Vancete Be more specific as to what you want

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Vancete said:
    tbh I'm looking for something cheaper to start (with less space, of course)

any options on ~15$?

How much space do you need for ~$15/month?

• @Vancete do you need a fancy Web interface etc as my service you will upload from the command line and be returned a download link. It will be in the eu but currently searching best storage deals.

• I don't need any interface, I can manage a VPS.

It will serve some ~5Gb files via http, like 100Gb transfer every day.