Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINIX: ​Intel's hidden in-chip operating system - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MINIX: ​Intel's hidden in-chip operating system

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: utterly normal nowadays for an editor package to be in the 50 - 150 MB range

Seems like emacs was always in the 50-150 MB range...

Thanked by 2WSS southy
  • southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@raindog308 said:

„Apt-get install vim“

Is the solution to that problem.

Thanked by 1netomx

southy said: „Apt-get install vim“

Is the solution to that problem.

Ah, your vim paradise will be coming to a close soon, once you're absorbed by neovim.

Turns out that efficiently and pleasurably editing text edition really is a complex AI problem...emacs just got started solving it sooner.

I'm kind of an evil-mode inside emacs guy myself.

• @raindog308 said:

bsdguy said: utterly normal nowadays for an editor package to be in the 50 - 150 MB range

In the early days, it was only eight megabytes and constantly swapping.

angstrom said: In the early days, it was only eight megabytes and constantly swapping.

I see what you did there...

Actually when I heard that joke the first time, it was eighty megs. I guess by then to be really big you had to be 80 and not 8 :-)

Thanked by 3angstrom MikePT netomx
  • Actually, it was eighty. I never heard "eight", and I'm older than @angstrom 's distribution.

• @raindog308, @WSS: You guys, my first shell account was on a Unix server that didn't have much more than 8MB RAM and that's when I first learned emacs!

I've never heard the version with "eighty"!

Appealing to authority, I don't think that you'll find "eighty" on this page:

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/gnuemacs.acro.exp.html

Thanked by 1svmo
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

Sorry, but you can't use bangpath jokes unless you existed during them.

It was "Eighty" by 1995, when a Pentium P5 with 16MB was a fairly common entry system at a touch over 1GB HD, NOT RAM.

• @WSS said: It was "Eighty" by 1995, when a Pentium P5 with 16MB was a fairly common entry system at a touch over 1GB HD, NOT RAM.

Truthfully, I had never heard the version with "eighty" until now!

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said: It was "Eighty" by 1995, when a Pentium P5 with 16MB was a fairly common entry system at a touch over 1GB HD, NOT RAM.

That's because few Slackware-grade browser builds exist after code submitted post-HTML 3.2..

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@WSS said: It was "Eighty" by 1995, when a Pentium P5 with 16MB was a fairly common entry system at a touch over 1GB HD, NOT RAM.

That's because few Slackware-grade browser builds exist after code submitted post-HTML 3.2..

At least that way neovim will never bother him.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

Don't be mean!

• @southy said: At least that way neovim will never bother him.

Truthfully, I've never heard of neovim either!

• @southy is trying like hell to disband the world of trolls and olds here. He just wants to have sex with your corpse of an OS, and then let you go.

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@angstrom said:

@southy said: At least that way neovim will never bother him.

Truthfully, I've never heard of neovim either!

Me neither - but apparently happy vim-users will be tossed out of paradise.
    But perhaps that’s another one of those cheap tricks the emacsians think of every day while trying to reach 5 keys at a time...
    You know, their brains must be conditioned in a really weird way.

• @WSS said:
    He just wants to have sex with your corpse of an OS,

You talking about Slackware or emacs?

• @southy said:

@WSS said:
    He just wants to have sex with your corpse of an OS,

You talking about Slackware or emacs?

Slackware. emacs would never run in a kernel compiled for ELKS.

Eight Moldovians and Cute Sisters

• M-X fuck-op-kill-sisters

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

You can suck it too homey!

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@AuroraZ said:
    You can suck it too homey!

[UTF-8 Reply posted. Click here to read it.]

• OH FUCK THATS A LONG ARROW

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited November 2017

emacs isn't that bad an OS but unfortunately lacks a decent editor. And vim isn't but an attempt to build something like brief (or e) for linux. That said, emacs seems to be liked in mathy academia; quite some exotic languages, smt provers, formal spec systems etc. tend to support emacs, some of them even emacs only.

I personally am totally uncool and do a lot with mp, ne, and, with gui sublime.

Wrt my remark above I didn't mean emacs, which, fdrankly, in my book isn't even under editors, but gigamonstershit like visual studio, delphi (which at least offer much more than simply an editor) or perversion to the galactic bloat-clusterfuck atom and the likes.

Btw, when hiring or interviewing candidates I have tried since many years to find out about preferred editors, os, etc. that tells you a lot about an engineer or a developer. Sometimes I also asked them to solve some problems using a usable but simple editor like scite.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017
  • In response to issues identified by external researchers, Intel has performed an in-depth comprehensive security review
    As a result, Intel has identified security vulnerabilities that could potentially place impacted platforms at risk.

Annnnnnd they still didn't send it out for external review.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited November 2017

Been going on since 1995 with backdoors and security flaws. Bleh!!!!!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Fuck, so disabling ME is not a cure. I guess only the bin is a cure.

• ..a fucking stack attack in 2017.