Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcetera changed IP without notification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcetera changed IP without notification

I was happy with Netcetera with my reseller account until yesterday. I was confident about my main site's uptime.
But they suddenly changed my nameserver's ip without even an email notification putting my resller site and my client sites down. My monitor emails came in and fortunately I got Charlie on chat. He informed me about the new IPs and I am waiting after changing the ns IPs in my domain panel. All my client sites using those NS are down.

Haven't expected such a move from Netcetera and so sad :(

Comments

• Sorry that happened. I've had several providers do unannounced IP changes on me in the past. It's unacceptable and a permanent black mark in my book.

• @NodePing said:
    Sorry that happened. I've had several providers do unannounced IP changes on me in the past. It's unacceptable and a permanent black mark in my book.

Yes. Its unacceptable. No hosts should do it. Hope this will open the eyes of providers here.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Did they even give you a technical explanation for the need to change them?

Its something I have had to do a few times over the past 7 years but I always give as much notice as possible and in all but 1 occasion have made both IP's work for at least a week before removing the old one.

• I feel your pain. This has happened to me on an AWS EC2 instance once... and it was frustrating. Thankfully I only had 3 sites running on it, though big ones.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Did they even give you a technical explanation for the need to change them?

NO

Its something I have had to do a few times over the past 7 years but I always give as much notice as possible and in all but 1 occasion have made both IP's work for at least a week before removing the old one.

Leave alone a week notice time, atleast an hour notice would have been nice. They said the change happened 2-3 hours prior to the chat with support person. But why they don't want to inform even after the change?

• Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

Hi @Intelpentium0 - would you mind dropping me a PM please with your registered e-mail address and domain name?

I'd be happy to look in to this and figure out why this happened. We host thousands of Shared Hosting clients and have been doing so since 1996, so without additional information, I'm not able to look in to this particular incident.

Uptime is incredibly important to us and this has been demonstrated in our consistent record uptime over the last 12 Years since we opened our Isle of Man datacentre.

Please do get in touch.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • Shit happens. Use good DNS services(read as:your own) if you host anything of importance as this happens to the best. Even buyshared fucked up a while ago. Monitor detected within a minute, DNS changes were made, total downtime under 5 minutes.

It's annoying but happens to the best.

Thanked by 1Intelpentium0
  • Shit Happens. Just learn from these mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Also, never ever -

• Host your DNS with the company that hosts your website.
    • Buy / renew your domains with the company that hosts your website.
    • Trust the hosting company with keeping your data backed up for you.

Follow these basic guidelines and life will undoubtedly be a little less disappointing :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@K4Y5 said:
    Shit Happens. Just learn from these mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Also, never ever -

• Host your DNS with the company that hosts your website.
    • Buy / renew your domains with the company that hosts your website.
    • Trust the hosting company with keeping your data backed up for you.

Follow these basic guidelines and life will undoubtedly be a little less disappointing :P

Very good advice there.

• @JSCL said:
    Hi @Intelpentium0 - would you mind dropping me a PM please with your registered e-mail address and domain name?

I'd be happy to look in to this and figure out why this happened. We host thousands of Shared Hosting clients and have been doing so since 1996, so without additional information, I'm not able to look in to this particular incident.

Uptime is incredibly important to us and this has been demonstrated in our consistent record uptime over the last 12 Years since we opened our Isle of Man datacentre.

Please do get in touch.

Pm sent.