Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a VPS with full allocation of the physical node be considered a dedicated server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can a VPS with full allocation of the physical node be considered a dedicated server?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

No, its a VPS.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited November 2017

A while back virpus offered this type of machine for $49/mo

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125795/virpus-instant-deployment-dual-xeon-l5639-with-70-gb-ram-and-440-gb-disk-only-49-mo

I found this a bit misleading as it's advertised as a dedicated server ... but it is in fact xen virt ...

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

Virtual Dedicated Server is what I've heard it referenced as. I always wonder why i wouldn't want it bare metal though unless you would provide the ability to take snapshot and full VM backup on the fly. Perhaps even offer a datastorage option for additional cost in the same facility? That would be cool.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

sureiam said: I always wonder why i wouldn't want it bare metal though

Not worth the hassle for 3% overhead.

Are you iamsure from BNT of 1999?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I mean, can you? Sure, HostGator does. Hopefully they finally started leaving enough memory for the host to stop going OOM. That's really the thing: needing more memory than you can sell, allocating for host failure, or being really shady and selling more memory than you allocate.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

jarland said: Sure, HostGator does

What kind of virtualization does HG do? I thought they do containers where RAM can be oversold. At least with XEN, I'm not sure how to oversell RAM.

So a 32GB RAM server would probably have to be sold as a 30 or 31GB RAM server, to account for the overhead.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Grinds my gears every time I see BigBirdBullshit post their shitty dedicated VPS's under the Dedicated Offers section on WHT. So no, please don't call it a dedicated server or every offer you post will be shit on. Call it bare-metal or VDS, whichever you prefer as they're more commonly accepted.

Thanked by 1rm_

MasonR said: Call it bare-metal or VDS

Bare Metal sounds reasonable. VDS = VPS in my mind.

But does that limit such offers to $7 on LET?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2017

MasonR said: Call it bare-metal

Uh? Bare metal means exactly what it does, i.e. you get to directly use the hardware, not via a container or virtualization of any sort. Bare = without any layers of isolation or abstraction between you and the actual hardware of the server. Looks like you got misled by those marketing terms as well.

Thanked by 1MasonR

rm_ said: Looks like you got misled by those marketing terms as well

Whats the point of the term 'Bare Metal' if it is just a straight dedicated server?

@rm_ said:

MasonR said: Call it bare-metal

Uh? Bare metal means exactly what it does, i.e. you get to directly use the hardware, not via a container or virtualization of any sort. Bare = without any layers of isolation or abstraction between you and the actual hardware of the server. Looks like you got misled by those marketing terms as well.

Yeah, you're right. If you have pass through for the interfaces (io & net), then you're pretty much bare-metal as @Clouvider mentioned previously. Think I got "bare-metal" mixed up with "hybrid".

@randvegeta said:

MasonR said: Call it bare-metal or VDS

Bare Metal sounds reasonable. VDS = VPS in my mind.

But does that limit such offers to $7 on LET?

It's not a true "dedicated server", so you can't advertise it as one. I don't think I've ever seen Wishosting advertise their v-dedicated line, but plenty of people around here are still aware of the offerings.

Hybrid it is.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:
    Hybrid it is.

I’ll need to ask for royalties :P

Thanked by 1MasonR
    edited November 2017

@Clouvider said:

@randvegeta said:
    Hybrid it is.

I’ll need to ask for royalties :P

Careful! You'll have @Francisco showing up at your door for them "slice" royalties ;)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • i use this for all our cpanel accounts. We make a big server with big resourece + install proxmox + create one kvm with all server resource . In this case i pay only a vps cpanel license/server (so less cost) and from proxmox we have make a script wich is make backup from the entirely kvm . So much more easy to manage and less $ cost in cpanel license. Also we sugest this when a client is buy a dedi and is need cpanel. So way not ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@randvegeta said:
    Hybrid it is.

Finally, we can all sleep now.

• As long as you don't advertise it as a dedicated server it should be fine. Just be transparent about what you're selling. Depending on the case it can definitely be a nice product to offer.

• Hybrid makes me think its a vps or something

@sureiam said:
    Hybrid makes me think its a vps or something

That's because it is.

Thanked by 2rm_ Pwner
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

@MasonR said:

@sureiam said:

That's because it is.

Eeeehh is it though? Just sounds like a great way to manage and be able to deploy different installs. It needs better marketing i think... Like you can run as many KVMs on this platform as you want or can easily create snap shots to a storage array on the system. Idk but just calling it hybrid sounds like a massive KVM. Which makes me wonder why i wouldn't just get a massive non dedicated KVM?

@sureiam said:

@MasonR said:

@sureiam said:

That's because it is.

Eeeehh is it though? Just sounds like a great way to manage and be able to deploy different installs. It needs better marketing i think... Like you can run as many KVMs on this platform as you want or can easily create snap shots to a storage array on the system. Idk but just calling it hybrid sounds like a massive KVM. Which makes me wonder why i wouldn't just get a massive non dedicated KVM?

What OP is describing is one massive KVM that has access to (almost) all of the server's resources (minus the overhead for the virtualization). The customer would have access to a virtualized environment, so by definition it is a VPS. Having access to all of the resources doesn't change that fact.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2017

https://www.soladrive.com/hybrid_vs_vps.html

Can we please just call it a VPS with Dedicated resources?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sureiam said: Eeeehh is it though?

Yes it is.

• You could call them ‘Virtually Dedicated’.

That one’s on the house.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@randvegeta said:

What kind of virtualization does HG do? I thought they do containers where RAM can be oversold. At least with XEN, I'm not sure how to oversell RAM.

So a 32GB RAM server would probably have to be sold as a 30 or 31GB RAM server, to account for the overhead.

KVM, should be leaving 2GB for the host now, but still advertising the servers as having the full amount of RAM that the actual server has.

@jarland said:

@randvegeta said:

KVM, should be leaving 2GB for the host now, but still advertising the servers as having the full amount of RAM that the actual server has.

Ok, it's a VPS with dedicated resources, but for the purpose of LET offers, are they VPS or Dedicated?

Or more bluntly put, is the max price $7 or $49/m ?

• @raindog308 said:

I've never had a blue onion, but red onions are so much better than white that it isn't funny. Vidalia are also good, but in a completely different way.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:

@raindog308 said:

I've never had a blue onion, but red onions are so much better than white that it isn't funny. Vidalia are also good, but in a completely different way.

Green onions are enough for me!

• @Nekki said:
    Green onions are best for me!

Because they tend to be more phallic?