Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 9 OpenVZ Container - Which init program does it use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 9 OpenVZ Container - Which init program does it use?

2»

Comments

• mkshmksh Member
    edited November 2017

@oneilonline said:

@mksh said:
    The easy way out would be devuan.

Even more interesting! Is it 99.9% stable?

Been running jessie at home since beta and on several servers/vps for about a year. Zero problems for me. As far as desktop usage is concerned i am just using a very minimal setup (icewm + a bit of scripting) so can't really comment if you are looking for a full blown desktop environment. The installer offers several choices though so i guess it's fine too.

• I do not jest about Slackware. That would be against the holy rules of the order.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: It's awesome, and awful.

Proprietary packaging system with NO NON-SOURCES available for preinstall other than bundled binary blobs, so any time you want to upgrade Chrome, you need to rebuild it from the source image packages.

The init system is a djb-inspired subsystem which uses all of his bizarre ideologies, including the "don't fucking fork and daemonize, or I can't manage you, cuntwaffle!" bits.

The entire system is a rolling-release, so unless you do an 'install from DVD' and not update, you get whatever is current at the time you do the installation. It's fucking sublime.

So it's identical to Gentoo except you can't choose your init system?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@raindog308 said:

Not really. You can install pretty much everything directly, except for restrictive-license shit like Chrome and Flash (which may be available in the non-free branch).

There's also this:

latty% free -h
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7.7G        1.1G        6.0G        395M        1.7G        4.1G
    Swap:           11G          0B         11G
    latty% uptime && uname -srm && head -5 /proc/cpuinfo | tail -1
     12:57:28 up  5:10,  0 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.60, 0.69
    Linux 4.13.12_1 x86_64
    model name  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz

I've got 15 tabs open, 5 of which are HTML5 videos, Kate, and Thunderturd under Cinnamon, and my usual array of consoles. My 7 year old shitbox with onboard Intel GMA is still nice and responsive. Much more so than it would even be with Windows 7.

The funny part is that it used to use systemd, but they abandoned that when it got bloated and started taking over everything it had no reason to be inside of- like the kernel.

• @raindog308 said:

Gentoo, boy I haven't thought about that distro in years!

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/