Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long would you expect a fresh WP install to load?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long would you expect a fresh WP install to load?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited November 2017 in General

Just that. How long (on avg) would you expect a fresh WP install with just the basic Twenty Seventeen theme enabled (and no further content added aside from the sample post of the wp install) to load over HTTPS?
Just asking to compare two setups Im currently using and given there is quite a huge difference in loading time even though both websites are being hosted relatively close to Germany (in france and Lithuania).

So yeah, just give your estimates :P

Comments

• On a VPS? Probably less than 1s. Definitely not more than that.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

1-1.5 sec of loading time max. I'd say it can be way faster, but I guess really small figures would not make sense to the end user.

• Edit: it'll load slightly slower if you're logged in because by default it loads the admin bar, etc. and that results in a few extra requests.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited November 2017

I expect server side to be ~ 25-30ms, and total load time (onload event) to be 0.25 seconds - anything above that is shit.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ympker said: relatively close to Germany

Physical geography is not necessarily the same as network geography. Comparing the latency between each may be more informative.

• Shared cPanel Hosting (reseller) in France (ovh) loads 2,2 seconds and 1 gb ram ispconfig vps in Lithuania (time4vps) loads in ~ 800ms. Hence I'm asking. Previously my Reseller Host stated it's the Lets Encrypt Response Server being so slow which results im the slow speed (it was roughly 9 seconds at that time). It was changed to Comodo cPanel SSL and loads 2,2 seconds now (which imho still is sorta slow). Oddly enough Im using LE SSL on the vps and it does not seem to result in slow loading so wondering if that argument was valid at all..

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

In the modern day and age, I think > 1s for a page to load is ridiculous. How WordPress is still that popular surprises me.

The really handy features you often see can only be added with add-on packages which do not come with the base WordPress installs. Are there really no viable alternatives?

• @CConner said:
    In the modern day and age, I think > 1s for a page to load is ridiculous. How WordPress is still that popular surprises me.

The really handy features you often see can only be added with add-on packages which do not come with the base WordPress installs. Are there really no viable alternatives?

Im not looking for a solution for wp atm. Injust used WP as the avg user would and compared the speed resulting in me wondering if Im expecting too much because 2,2s seems awfully slow(-ish). It does load faster over http obviously but that's beside the point.

• You mentioned response server, etc. so are you referring to OSCP checks? The config should use OSCP stapling and be done asynchronously with some level of caching the response so the end user doesn't notice.

Thanked by 2Falzo Ympker
  • OCSP, I mean... stupid autocorrect.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2017

Nowadays, you can hardly notice page loading time. 1s or 2s shouldn't matter. When I load a page, I am already on another tap and check the new tap later.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @JustAMacUser said:
    You mentioned response server, etc. so are you referring to OSCP checks? The config should use OSCP stapling and be done asynchronously with some level of caching the response so the end user doesn't notice.

Yeah I was referring to OSCP :P

@deank said:
    Nowadays, you can hardly notice page loading time. 1s or 2s shouldn't matter. When I load a page, I am already on another tap and check the new tap later.

True that. Just keep in mind the 2 seconds load time are in this case for a fresh WP install. Now if content and plugins get added load time will increase more obviously.

• @Ympker said:
    True that. Just keep in mind the 2 seconds load time are in this case for a fresh WP install. Now if content and plugins get added load time will increase more obviously.

The 30ms server side, and 0.25 sec onload event I posted above is an actual measurement of a default WP install with SSL - so if your host spends 9 or even 2.2 seconds, they must be doing something retarded or their server is completely overloaded and oversold - like multiple times overselling.

Thanked by 1Ympker