Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Black Friday in August! Grab a 100GB HDD, Unmetered BW VPS for only $5/mo in Texas or New York!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It's Black Friday in August! Grab a 100GB HDD, Unmetered BW VPS for only $5/mo in Texas or New York!

You're just in time for GreenValueHost's "August Black Friday" VPS Blowout Sales Event! From now until August 31st, the following plan will be available for purchase in Buffalo, New York, USA (ColoCrossing DC) or Dallas, Texas, USA (TierPoint DC)

Features:

• SSD Cached Disk Space (RAID 1 or RAID 10)
  • SolusVM VPS Control Panel
  • Premium Bandwidth
  • Choice of New York or Texas location
  • INSTANT Activation

100GB SSD Cached RAID Storage
    Unmetered Bandwidth (200mbps)
    2024MB Guaranteed RAM
    2560MB Burstable RAM
    1 IPv4 Address (Additional IPs available @ $1.5/m per IP - Bulk IPs available @ $1/m per IP)
    Price: $5.00 Monthly

Order Link (Buffalo, New York) - https://secure.greenvaluehost.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=148

Order Link (Dallas, Texas) - https://secure.greenvaluehost.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=149

Questions? Please feel free to contact us by replying to this thread or by submitting a ticket to our sales department.

Comments

• Fair Usage Policy?

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited August 2013

I cannot find their FUP, so it looks like it's fully unlimited at about 60TB/m?
    Although according to their ToS , you cannot host file sharing services on it, but seems like streaming videos is allowed.

Edit:

But you do get what you've paid for:

Resource Usage

Users may not:

Use 10% or more of system resources for longer then 60 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.

Run any type of interactive real-time chat applications that require server resources. Remotely-hosted services are fully allowed.

Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.

Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client.

Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities

Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes

• Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.

How is anyone supposed to connect to their VPS if daemons are not allowed??

Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes

That's a pretty big net you're casting . . .

In so far as I can tell, these VPSes might be useful if you want to connect via the SolusVM SSH drop and use vi.

• dnomdnom Member
    edited August 2013

@sundaymouse said:
    Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server.

What can you do with this server then? You can't even run a webserver.

• @sundaymouse @Microlinux that's a standard cookie-cutter ToS made for shared hosting, or at least it very much resembles one

• @jkr1711 said:
    sundaymouse Microlinux that's a standard cookie-cutter ToS made for shared hosting, or at least it very much resembles one

Touche, I see they do shared hosting as well.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited August 2013

Some restrictions only apply to shared & reseller hosting clients. If you're unsure of whether or not something is allowed, submit a ticket and we'll clear it up for you.

There's no fair usage policy. CC has plenty of bandwidth. ;)

• skaska Member

So since ToS become a part of the contract, stating "some restrictions only apply to shared hosting" is kinda fishy when you want those ToS to be applied to the VPS. How about explicitly stating what applies to a VPS, then?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @ska - ToS has been modified.

• There goes my cheap seedbox.

• Just got a VPS in Dallas from them. The delivery was instant after the Paypal payment.
    I installed Debian 7 from the SolusVM Control Panel.
    SSH into the VPS times out 7 times out of 10. A simple "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" didn't completely work on more than 10 tries due to timeouts and very slow download of about 50kb/s from the debian mirrors. For some reasons they configured Debian mirrors in Switzerland and Germany. I replaced the configured Debian mirrors from Switzerland and Germany with the default US Debian mirrors and that gets the packagelist at least, but still impossible to install stuff or upgrade. Trying a "apt-get install mtr-tiny" fails on the download of the 40kb(!) app...

The time on the VPS/host is off about 4 hours and 1 minute (yes I know how to set the timezone). There is no IPv6 on my VPS and not even vi/vim installed.

Currently this doesn't look good at all, but I will test further tomorrow.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited August 2013

@cidero said:
    Just got a VPS in Dallas from them. The delivery was instant after the Paypal payment.
    I installed Debian 7 from the SolusVM Control Panel.
    SSH into the VPS times out 7 times out of 10. A simple "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" didn't completely work on more than 10 tries due to timeouts and very slow download of about 50kb/s from the debian mirrors. For some reasons they configured Debian mirrors in Switzerland and Germany. I replaced the configured Debian mirrors from Switzerland and Germany with the default US Debian mirrors and that gets the packagelist at least, but still impossible to install stuff or upgrade. Trying a "apt-get install mtr-tiny" fails on the download of the 40kb(!) app...

The time on the VPS/host is off about 4 hours and 1 minute (yes I know how to set the timezone). There is no IPv6 on my VPS and not even vi/vim installed.

Currently this doesn't look good at all, but I will test further tomorrow.

If you're having any issues with updating, with download speeds/upload speeds, etc, just submit a ticket to let us know - We'll investigate and fix things up for you. Customer satisfaction is our #1 priority.

As for IPv6 - That's not supported yet, unfortunately.

• There is no IPv6 on my VPS

ColoCrossing will be getting IPv6 soon (soon=sometime around 2100)

• @DomainBop said:
    ColoCrossing will be getting IPv6 soon (soon=sometime around 2100)

There's no denying that IPv4 is rapidly depleting and there's only a handful million of them left. Give it a few more years and the IPv6 switch will come.

• Is (legal) streaming of video/audio explicitly allowed?

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Is (legal) streaming of video/audio explicitly allowed?

Yes.

• TOR allowed?

• @trexos said:
    TOR allowed?

If it is legal by US law and allowed by our terms of service, it is allowed.

• Misleading thread title if you ask me.

• @mpkossen said:
    Misleading thread title if you ask me.

What is misleading about it? Please feel free to edit it if you'd like.

• New York triggers NYC for people rather than New York State. It's a nice trick but I don't like it.

Thanked by 2seriesn Inglar
  • XenosXenos Member
    edited August 2013

@mpkossen said:

New York triggers NYC for people rather than New York State. It's a nice trick but I don't like it.

I wasn't personally misled because I realize New York is a state and City is normally appended if NYC is intended. The title also says Texas rather than Dallas. In the eyes of the beholder I guess...

• @mpkossen - I didn't intend to mislead anyone. It's actually not misleading because the city of Buffalo is a part of the state of New York .. but if you'd like to change the thread title to say Buffalo, New York and Dallas, Texas, by all means please go ahead.

• To me, the TOS is more like a shared hosting package rather than VPS.