Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative source to Nocix Dual Xeon E5 Custom Dual E5-2670v2 64GB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative source to Nocix Dual Xeon E5 Custom Dual E5-2670v2 64GB

2»

Comments

• Yes I did something like that on a 2xE5-2670v1 a while back (32 independent tasks on hyperthreads) and got about 20x speedup vs single thread. That is, 20% speedup from hyperthreading, or 1 hyperthread = about 0.6 full-core single thread.

This might be of interest:

https://www.worldstream.nl/en/dedicated/custom/order/Intel_Core_i7_2600K_3_40GHz

i7-2600k, 8 hyperthreads, 8479 passmark, 21.80 euro at discounted yearly rate = about 2.54 euro / kilopassmark which marginally beats the 2x E5-2670v2 even if you count it as 30k passmark.

• Yeah, that setup is very competitive in terms of kilopassmark's, but the lack of cores makes it less attractive, as while the $ per passmark is great, the $ per core is still not great ($153 USD at current exchange rate versus $84 for 20 cores). For some of my use cases I can get away with running tasks on faster single cores for a shorter period of time, so utilising some benefits of the faster machine, and justifier the higher price per core, but for other cases I can't as easily do that, so on average 20 cores at say 2.5ghz are more useful to me than 16 at 3.2ghz even though their total 'killopassmark' might be closely equivalent.