Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the easiest & cheapest way to get 12 IPs to VMs in a dedi with 1 IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the easiest & cheapest way to get 12 IPs to VMs in a dedi with 1 IP?

elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
edited November 2017 in Help

I had this idling dedi from Delimiter for a year, I thought I had cancelled it but turns out I forgot to cancel the PayPal subscription, so here I am with a dedi ready to idle for another year. The reason I got it on the first place was because I was planning to use it for a project, but I quickly realized such solution would not scale, and moved on to cloud KVM providers which is working great. So now I am trying to somehow fit this dedi into my project to use as a "back-up" or for trial/demo accounts.

Dedi specs:

• 8 cores
  • 2x500GB HDDs in soft raid 1
  • 24 GB RAM
  • 1 gbps link (Atlanta)
  • 1 IPv4

To use this in my project I need to make KVMs out of it with the following specs:

• 2GB RAM
  • 20 GB disk
  • reachable on a dedicated public IP
  • ability to quickly "clone" VMs and change their hostname (may be MAC address too?)
  • no connection between VMs possible

Currently I have setup libvirt and I am able to create VMs, except obviously I can't get the networking part figured out. I am hoping you guys may be able to help with some ideas that will not cost too much time or money. Here are some options I have been thinking about:

1) VPN everything to an OVH VPS with 12 IPs

• Pro: it's cheap (I have already paid the IPs)
  • Con: extra roundtrip latency to RBX (but it may be acceptable)
  • Con: Link limited to 50Mbps instead of 1Gbps (not good)
  • Con: OVH is a PIA to deal with, if they claim "network issues" all IPs will go down
  • Con: need to figure out how to route all traffic from each VM through each of the 12IPs which is a PIA to setup
  • Con: no idea how to update hostnames in cloned VMs and block VMs from having network access to each other

2) Get the cheapest 12 VPS with public IP in the US I can find (hello BlackFriday :) ) and create 12 OpenVPN links from the dedi

• Pro: low latency, full link speed
  • Pro: In case of DDOS it's just one VPS down, doesn't affect the rest
  • Con: Network setup is going to be 12 times harder when there are 12 interfaces instead of one
  • Con: no idea how to update hostnames in cloned VMs and block VMs from having network access to each other

3) Buy a subnet from the provider (it's $192 USD)

• Pro: Will probably be the easiest to setup
  • Big Con: No DDOS protection, and Delimiter is known to be very **** with DDOS issues
  • Con: too expensive, not sure I will get enough benefit out of the dedi at this cost

4) Get VPC + VPN Gateway from AWS and assign elastic IPs to the VMs

• Pro: piece of cake to setup
  • Con: If only money weren't an issue...no chance with this solution

So may be you guys can throw some magic ideas to solve this dilemma :) I think I am not willing to sink more than $100 on this over the next year so that's the budget. If it costs more than $100 I will probably just save my time and let the dedi idle for another year.

Comments

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2017

tl;dr: Buy a routed /28 from the provider.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

elwebmaster said: - reachable on a dedicated public IP

On which port? If you can set that on the client side (e.g., http://example.com:8080, 8081,, etc.) then you can use NAT, which is free.

• @raindog308 said:

elwebmaster said: - reachable on a dedicated public IP

On which port? If you can set that on the client side (e.g., http://example.com:8080, 8081,, etc.) then you can use NAT, which is free.

No, I need to forward all ports, it's for users. Anyway, I figured the cloud-init scripts are also not compatible between the cloud provider and my local libvirt instance, I can't just clone a VM from the cloud provider and have it work on this dedi without more reconfiguration of libvirt. Enough time spent, I will have to find another use for this server :)

• You can tunnel (GRE) your OVH IP to your VPS. Better choice than setting up a VPN, but still you have to deal with the extra latency.