Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ - vSwap or Burstable RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ - vSwap or Burstable RAM?

MiniVZMiniVZ Member
edited February 2012 in General

A OpenVz VPS host might have different view from a OpenVZ VPS user.

If you are a OpenVZ VPS host/user, which do you prefer? vSwap or Burstable RAM. What's your reason?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Burstable RAM only because we've had to many issues with CentOS 6.

• For stability I prefer Burstable RAM, but vSwap gives you a better memory managment.

As soon as vSwap its stable on all hosts I would vote for vSwap.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

vswap is really nice....when it works.

There's a bug in how vswap currently works that makes it very unstable if you actually thrash your vswap. The only way to make it play nice is to allow your node to swap which can lead to other performance issues.

The .32 kernels are pretty bitchin' when they work. We have like 5 different kernel builds over all of our stuff due to the different .32 combos that might work. We got the latest setup on node14 and we'll update our vswap thread when we find a good, safe, kernel.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • I agree with Francisco, vswap is really great when it does work. The newer kernels are a lot more stable too, looks like they're fixing all the bugs.

• @nova said: newer kernels are a lot more stable

They are becoming stable, but I don't know if that is money in that bank stable yet