Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum for 256mb openvz vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Forum for 256mb openvz vps?

needavpsneedavps Member
edited November 2017 in Help

Can someone give me a real world recommendation on a workable forum software for their small vps (around 256mb or less?). I know lowendbox uses vanilla when it was something like a 128mb vps but from vanilla's own website (they practically recommend 1gb to 2gb) but now it's way more after the site transfer.

A breakdown of their active users on the forum software and their monthly hits will be great and appreciated. I've seen older posts(few years old some of them) that recommend flux forum and mybb but no real numbers for a small vps.

Comments

• Give FluxBB a try.

https://fluxbb.org/

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited November 2017

i'm actually looking for real experience with some numbers/stats. I can try all the forums but if it doesn't scale; I wasted alot of time when someone with real numbers can point me in a better direction along with anyone else who is curious.

• LowEndSpirit runs on Flux. I don't have numbers, but it's certainly not sitting on a 1G plan.. and it's been there for several years with no noticeable issues.

• To be fair, LES forum is really low traffic. OP, how much activity are you anticipating your forum will have?

• @seanho said:
    To be fair, LES forum is really low traffic.

This is somewhat of a bullshit argument, when you realize it's a stock piece of software which hasn't had any magical plugins, IPs, or blocks placed.

I had my phpBB2 forum starting to get automated hacks within weeks- and that was nearly a decade ago.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited November 2017

@seanho said:
    To be fair, LES forum is really low traffic. OP, how much activity are you anticipating your forum will have?

Actually, I believe the owner of lowendspirit said he runs it with a 64mb vps 4 years ago. I just want some numbers to see which would work better since there is absolutely nothing recently concerning vanilla on a low end vps.

• @needavps Nobody uses Vanilla. That's the only reason it only gets hacked twice a year.

• I've used xenforo on 128mb ram :O

phpbb works just fine with 256mb, fluxbb is even lighter, I recommend you give flarum a try.

I know vanilla's website says they need 1-2gb but I've used it on 96mb ram before without an issue.

• i used elkarte (an smf fork) on 256mb nat vps

• 256mb used to be a heck of a lot of memory. Especially if you can use offloaded mysql, you can do fine with any of the old school software.