Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr DPI? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr DPI?

Comments

• @FoxelVox said:
    I know you like buttsex, but please, contain yourself my friend

C'mere, you!

• @WSS said:

@FoxelVox said:
    I know you like buttsex, but please, contain yourself my friend

C'mere, you!

Nah thanks, but @nekki loves to.

• FoxelVox said: Nah thanks, but @nekki loves to.

Threesome? I'm game. Let's do the conga.

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

I heard buttsex, I heard threesome, I heard conga - when does the fun start? (oiling my body already)

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • @Amitz Liquor in the rear.

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • Been there. I prefer my anus being mainly an exit. I am great doing the active part and really good in giving.

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • How else are you supposed to take Jager? It certainly has nothing to do with the taste.

• So we're all doing jaegerbombs and then fucking each other, right?

Thanked by 2FoxelVox Lee
  • I either sniffed or injected it. Drinking might be a possibility, but I never tried that. Sounds somehow odd.

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • KrisKris Member
    edited November 2017

raindog308 said: Unless it's a criminal complaint (what is the crime here?) you agreed that all disputes would be resolved in Florida.

^ He's Right.

@William:

It clearly sounds like one support tech though you were unable to resolve a domain on your server (hence the mention of port 53 inbound) and another staff member had no idea they had DNS block lists.

Communication doesn't seem brilliant over there as even networking didn't understand your request originally. You explained how to reproduce and they explained the truth.

It sucks that their ToS and apparent block list doesn't mesh well with your DNS anti-censorship project, but bring those projects somewhere fitted to actually host them... Not on a dinky KVM VPS that you guys use because it's the cheapest Anycast out there. (waves)

Basically you're angry which is understandable after getting all setup within Vultr, but don't assume you're going to get anywhere in the US legal system, especially not realizing the state you'll be litigating in. This isn't like servers being taxed locally, if you want to step to Vultr, you'll be seeing them in Florida.

I don't think this is a case for the EFF either.They were transparent, you signed up for them. If they were your hometown ISP covering things up, perhaps... but they explicitly stated we block this domain, and have a clause in their ToS to cover them.

PS: Don't work for Vultr and left awhile ago, but hitting up the EFF or alluding to start a lawsuit over this is hilarious.

• @Amitz said:
    I either sniffed or injected it. Drinking might be a possibility, but I never tried that. Sounds somehow

odd.

Will Some pot do?

• @Nekki said:
    So we're all doing jaegerbombs and then fucking each other, right?

I'm working the cameras today.

• what does this mean for a noob?

• hostnoob said: what does this mean for a noob?

You have to receive if it's your first time.

• @rm_ said:
    String match on UDP port 53 is not "DPI", it's one line in iptables. Prolly as simple in other platforms as well.

That said, Vultr is well-known to have little to no moral standards (see the $2.5 plan scam), so I totally would not put it past them to mess with your traffic arbitrarily.

Available in NJ, right now.

I've managed to deploy one elsewhere in the past though. Seems they're just limited availability

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2017

hostnoob said: Seems they're just limited availability

No. They have been available in all locations for a while (that's likely when you "managed" to deploy one elsewhere), then in none, then in NJ and Miami. And it is now hard-coded to just these two, not a matter of "keep checking the one you need, some stock might pop up". Not a matter of availability, it's manually disabled in every location except two. Also this plan is locked out from access using their API, so you can't even set up automated checks.

• @WSS said:
    Whoever said it yesterday or day before was spot on. Everything @rm_ posts seems to have a thin veneer of humanity surrounding a seething rage.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Farish said: One thing I have learned from visiting lowendtalk over the years is that there is a lot of lawyers on here .....

True, and I am not one, but I have read a lot of commercial agreements over the years and you learn things. Jurisdiction clauses, for example. Of course, anyone who'd rely on some random forum poster for legal advice is a fool...I'm just chatting.

@Kris said:
    Basically you're angry

I'm not angry at all :-) But then, unlike poor @rm_, I have a $2.50 Vultr VPS...

Thanked by 1Kris
  • KrisKris Member
    edited November 2017

raindog308 said: I'm not angry at all :-) But then, unlike poor @rm_, I have a $2.50 Vultr VPS...

Crap. That reply was to William. Sorry, made things more clear.

I had quoted you as you are 100% correct about the whole Florida jurisdiction, despite where the servers are located.

It's a service he signed up for and agreed to the ToS. I don't see the criminal aspect of it either, or any possible way he could this could end up in front of a CA judge.

• Requesting this thread to be moved to Providers category so it'll get indexed by Google.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

trvz said: Requesting this thread to be moved to Providers category so it'll get indexed by Google.

I moved it, but not because of Google per se, just because that's where it belongs rather than offtopic.

Thanked by 1trvz
  • FuslFusl Member
    edited November 2017

Kris said: Not on a dinky KVM VPS that you guys use because it's the cheapest Anycast out there. (waves)

Umm, are you willing to take over our €2k monthly invoices for a project that we literally see €0 income (not even donations) for? It's a non-profit organization behind it and what you call "cheap" is very important for us.

rm_ said: String match on UDP port 53 is not "DPI", it's one line in iptables. Prolly as simple in other platforms as well.

Yes, string matching with iptables is possible, and exactly that is deep packet inspection. Deep packet inspection means looking into the packet and executing different actions whenever the packet contains a specific string or pattern. This is exactly what Vultr does.

Quoting Wikipedia:

Deep packet inspection (DPI, also called complete packet inspection and information extraction or IX) is a form of computer network packet filtering that examines the data part (and possibly also the header) of a packet as it passes an inspection point, searching for protocol non-compliance, viruses, spam, intrusions, or defined criteria to decide whether the packet may pass or if it needs to be routed to a different destination, or, for the purpose of collecting statistical information that functions at the Application layer of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection model).

PS: If Vultr comes up with an explanation that "minexmr.com" was only blocked due to either abuse from CPU mining or preventing customer servers from getting suspended due to CPU abuse, I'm calling bullshit here because blocking this by DNS only shifts the problem instead of actually solving it: One could still hardcode minexmr.com servers' IP addresses into their stratum clients for mining.

The problem here is also not only affecting DNS resolvers but also mail servers for example which are unable to send emails to *@minexmr.com addresses because the lookup obviously fails.

Thanked by 1trvz
  • Fusl said: Umm, are you willing to take over our €2k monthly invoices for a project that we literally see €0 income (not even donations) for? It's a non-profit organization behind it and what you call "cheap" is very important for us.

No, but perhaps rethinking running critical non-profit organization infrastructure on cheap virtual machine providers just to save a few bucks for a broader Anycast footprint, then cause a ruckus when you hit their terms of service.

No one's forcing you guys to use Vultr. They clearly cater to a different clientele than yourselves or NGO non profit. If you don't like it, leave.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited November 2017

@Kris you really seem to be some special kind of "I have nothing to hide and don't give a shit about net neutrality" kiddie, right? I mostly actually don't care that they are blocking traffic, but they do not allow customers to opt out from this or give customers a list of domains they block, that's everything I'm asking for and is not really going to cause issues for their infrastructure either. They have zero transparency over this towards their customers and god knows what else they are doing just to "protect their infrastructure"? Port-mirror to NSA? I'm even willing to sign a NDA if they would just give me the information I am asking for but they seemingly care far less for their clients than their infrastructure which seemingly means that they do not give a crap about their customers. They pretty much have two possible options: Keep using their DPI and lose customers (=less revenue) or stop using their DPI and get more customers (=more revenue)?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2017

Fusl said: hey pretty much have two possible options: Keep using their DPI and lose customers (=less revenue) or stop using their DPI and get more customers (=more revenue)?

Sadly it's not that simple. Most customer don't give a fuck as to wether they use DPI or not and people mining XMR would mean:

(=less revenue)

So actually for them DPI is

(=more revenue)

It would be better if people actually did care and stopped using them, but they are quite big, they have a name in the market, they can do whatever they want they probably still will grow :-/

• FuslFusl Member
    edited November 2017

datanoise said: So actually for them DPI is

(=more revenue)

Yeah, until users find out that they can hardcode the IP addresses for minexmr.com in their stratum clients and mine with that. Also, alternatives exist which are not blocked.

root@mail:~# dig +tries=2 +timeout=1 @8.8.8.8 test.minexmr.com.test.anyqast-dnstest.org.

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> +tries=2 +timeout=1 @8.8.8.8 test.minexmr.com.test.anyqast-dnstest.org.
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    root@mail:~# dig +tries=2 +timeout=1 @8.8.8.8 test.xmrpool.eu.test.anyqast-dnstest.org.

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> +tries=2 +timeout=1 @8.8.8.8 test.xmrpool.eu.test.anyqast-dnstest.org.
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER

At any time, new XMR mining pools could pop up on the internet and they would need to manually add domains to their blacklist. If they truly wanted to make users stop CPU mining with DPI, they would RST TCP streams that look like stratum/JSONRPC messages.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Fusl said: Keep using their DPI and lose customers (=less revenue) or stop using their DPI and get more customers (=more revenue)?

I think you vastly overestimate how many customers care, you are a small percent of the small percent.

They might lose a handful due to this, however, if they successfully stop people abusing resources they may retain far more.

Thanked by 2Kris maverickp
  • DNSCrypt? The larger issue of net neutrality is still quite valid, though.

• seanho said: DNSCrypt? The larger issue of net neutrality is still quite valid, though.

How does DNSCrypt help in this case when the upstream servers don't support DNSCrypt? I can't force another server into talking a protocol that it doesn't understand.

• @Fusl said:

seanho said: DNSCrypt? The larger issue of net neutrality is still quite valid, though.

How does DNSCrypt help in this case when the upstream servers don't support DNSCrypt? I can't force another server into talking a protocol that it doesn't understand.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear what your specific use-case was. I was assuming you could run your own caching resolver elsewhere, and encrypt DNS between that resolver and your Vultr VMs.