Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Further kvm issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Further kvm issues

@ issue perhaps I can hopefully save 5 hours of my time or even $175 charge that most system admins want to charge

Hello I had updated my kvm space to from 30 GB to 500 GB however it didn't show up in whm now I was told that I needed to expand the root prtition with the available free space how much would this cost for you to do ?

01:01:30 shittykvm root@4325775 ~]cPs# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/vda1 29G 28G 0 100% / <===
tmpfs 1.4G 0 1.4G 0% /dev/shm
/usr/tmpDSK 485M 11M 449M 3% /tmp

I can also see that your /dev/vda1 is 500GB in size:

[01:01:14 shittykvm root@4325775 ~]cPs# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/vda: 536.9 GB, 536870912000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 65270 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0004fd07

I would pay someone to do this but I won't go over $175 its ridiculousness when the issue is right here.

Comments

• xsetxset Member
    edited August 2013

empty

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2013

resize2fs /dev/vda1

edit: and really paste the result of fdisk -l /dev/vda, because you have removed the most important information from it.

Thanked by 1Snickertastic
  • jhjh Member

This is easy work - $175 is extortionate IMHO. You just need to boot from GParted or whatever and expand the partition.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'll do it for £25.

Thanked by 1Snickertastic
  • Its kvm with whm/cpanel pretty much... I can pretty much get anything you need .. Jhadley now I'm willing to pay that..

• skaska Member

@Snickertastic said:
    @ issue perhaps I can hopefully save 5 hours of my time or even $175 charge that most system admins want to charge

It's not so hard when using $SEARCHENGINE: http://www.unix-heaven.org/resizing-kvm-disk-image-lvm

• edited August 2013

Check out our GParted guide on how to expand your KVM disk space.
    Everything you need is there :)

http://wiki.fusioned.net/index.php/GParted

Thanked by 2ska Snickertastic
  • Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited August 2013

KVM isn't a pain in the butt, its real virtualization, thus processes are the same as they would be on a physical machine. Unfortunately to gain the advantages of KVM you have to take the disadvantages (Lengthy administrative tasks) as well.

Grab a GParted ISO and reboot into it, problem solved. Its the easiest way if you're not comfortable with command line.

• Thanks to jhadley he fixed it..

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Gparted is idiot proof. I agree with all the other comments about it. That is what I use all the time when I have to deal with this on KVM and it's never let me down.

Also one of the reasons I prefer OpenVZ. You never have to deal with this stuff. You can change storage size on the fly.

• @sman said:
    Gparted is idiot proof. I agree with all the other comments about it. That is what I use all the time when I have to deal with this on KVM and it's never let me down.

Also one of the reasons I prefer OpenVZ. You never have to deal with this stuff. You can change storage size on the fly.

lol I'll take your word for it..