Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal subscription + cancelling services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal subscription + cancelling services

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hello,
Is it normal that after cancelling a VPS in WHCMS, you also need to manually cancel the Paypal subscribtion on the Paypal website?

Comments

• Yes. I had a rather difficult time cancelling a subscription once, required escalation with Paypal.

• Yes,you can only cancel order with WHMCS but you need to go on paypal site for cancel the Subscription

• The reason why I never use Paypal subscription

Thanked by 1tux
  • Ok thanks for the advice. Guess i won't write to the host to get the money back, it wasn't much anyway.

@vedran said: The reason why I never use Paypal subscription

I also try to never use them, but if i remember correctly Paypal subscribtion was the only avaible payment method. Or i just clicked the wrong button :D

• Could always just politely ask for your money back...

• Just ask the company for a refund... Most companies will give it to you if you've already cancelled especially since you aren't going to use what you paid for.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

It should say when you cancel in WHCMS that you need to manually cancel a PayPal subscription, at least I'm pretty sure it does.

I would contact them, and if they don't respond, just chargeback if you have the option to.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I personally hate Paypal subscriptions. Every month we have a handful of clients that double pay us because they forget they have a subscription. I would disable the option but we would get a lot of complaints then since they are used a lot by our bigger clients.

edited February 2012

@Kairus said: just chargeback if you have the option to.

So committing fraud and theft is ok because the client made a mistake? That won't hold up in court especially if the client didn't perform a chargeback on previous payments, they won't be able to claim unauthorized transaction.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: So committing fraud and theft is ok because the client made a mistake? That won't hold up in court especially if the client didn't perform a chargeback on previous payments, they won't be able to claim unauthorized transaction.

How is it fraud and theft to chargeback a payment for cancelled services? What are you stealing from them? The services are cancelled, and inactive, they have no right to that money.

Where are you getting 'court' into this? Just throwing around things to make a bad argument sound legitimate? He cancelled his services. His PayPal subscription sent another payment in, he cancelled the services, the company has no right to that money.

• @Kairus said: How is it fraud and theft to chargeback a payment for cancelled services?

Why are you jumping straight to a last resort as option number one?

• @miTgiB said: Why are you jumping straight to a last resort as option number one?

@Kairus said: I would contact them, and if they don't respond, just chargeback if you have the option to.

I didn't.

Thanked by 1ztec
  • @Kairus Still fraud, you initiated the subscription, you can remove it as well. Granted I always refund it as I never earned the money, but it is not the providers responsibly to cancel your subscription. I added the following line to my cancel confirmation email to avoid this issue, which still arises too often

"If you were paying for this service via PayPal subscription, please remember to cancel your subscription, we have no way of doing so."

And before the tin foil hat club jumps in to tell me I can cancel the clients subscription, yes I can, but don't have time to sort through all that when the ex-client can just as well. And beside, they may have wished to make a donation, you never know.

• @miTgiB said: And beside, they may have wished to make a donation, you never know.

If you find a wallet on the street you don't assume the same do you? :D

• @ztec said: find a wallet on the street

No, that would require turning into the local police, as is the law in most American towns and cities.

• @miTgiB said: No, that would require turning into the local police, as is the law in most American towns and cities.

At least you're immune to sarcasm.

• @miTgiB said: Still fraud, you initiated the subscription, you can remove it as well.

That doesn't make it fraud in any way shape or form.

fraud

deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.

The money the provider received isn't for any services offered, they haven't earned the money, and have no right to the money, so chargebacking the money is perfectly fine in this situation. You're not cheating the provider out of any money. Maybe there's another way to describe it, but it's certainly not fraud...

• @Kairus said: You're not cheating the provider out of any money.

You may very well be assessing a fee to the provider as a result of a chargeback

• @miTgiB said: You may very well be assessing a fee to the provider as a result of a chargeback

Indeed to that, the provider should really refund in this kind of situation - it's definitely a bit of a gray area, but I don't think it exactly falls under the fraud category. I think PayPal should allow a company to cancel a subscription with a person, it would solve problems.

What are chargeback fees like? I'm reading in the PayPal ToS it's $20? I've had chargebacks in the past against me and I never noticed a fee. I think I would have noticed a $20 fee though...

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Or i just clicked the wrong button :D

Indeed.

PS: Some hosts try to trick you and force to subscribe, but sometimes you can avoid this too... :P

• @Kairus said: What are chargeback fees like? I'm reading in the PayPal ToS it's $20? I've had chargebacks in the past against me and I never noticed a fee. I think I would have noticed a $20 fee though...

The most I've ever been charged is $10, but selling mostly $3-5 accounts, that kinda hurts. With dozens of payments coming in everyday, I don't think I would notice $20 missing right away until I reconcile.

@Kairus said: I think PayPal should allow a company to cancel a subscription with a person

We already have that ability, and I am not taking the time to sift through the slowness of the PayPal website to find 1 of a thousand subscriptions.

• @miTgiB said: We already have that ability, and I am not taking the time to sift through the slowness of the PayPal website to find 1 of a thousand subscriptions.

Interesting, so it's WHCMS that hasn't set it up to remove subscriptions? Or maybe the PayPal API doesn't allow it...

• @Kairus said: WHCMS that hasn't set it up to remove subscriptions? Or maybe the PayPal API

Both are quite possible, but I don't know the answer. WHMCS does track the subscription ID, so if there was an API feature for it....

@Kairus said: but I don't think it exactly falls under the fraud category.

In the sense of the word, yes it is fraud if the client files a chargeback with their credit card company. Here is why:

The client sent the money to the company, the company did not ask or take it so they had no involvement in the payment at all except for receiving the money (which Paypal does not give you the option to decline so the payment was forced on them). If you file a credit card chargeback, it is normally for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) The payment was unauthorized - It's already been determined that the payment was authorized by the client so this is not a valid reason.
    2) The company scammed the client - This is not the case since the company did not promise anything in exchange for the payment that was forced upon them in which they had no control over.

Suggesting anybody perform a chargeback in this situation is completely wrong and could very likely result in legal troubles for the client (filing a false report with a financial institute is never a good idea).