Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VestaCP falling short.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VestaCP falling short.

sureiamsureiam Member
edited November 2017 in General

I'm tired of manually setting up a VPS and updating it. Tried VestaCP (with ports closed and tunneling to the web admin via ssh) as centos is my OS of choice with nginx and php-fpm. However it's a pain to get running properly with custom web root directories and php 7.1 (although the integrated let's encrypt module is fantastic).

Any other worthwhile panels to test out before i give up and just do it manually again?

Thanks

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

You mean free panel or even commercial ones included

• @agentmishra said:
    You mean free panel or even commercial ones included

Right I should have been clear. Open Source/Free only, Not worth the cost as nothing is being resold on the platform and I'm more than comfortable manually managing it (just dont wanna! lol)

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

You may try interworx 1 domain license, its free

Centos web panel

Floxlor

Virtualmin/webmin

Ispcp

Ispconfi3

And may be a few more

The most rescent being cyberpanel

Let me know in case more help is required

• CentMinMod? It's a text based manager, but plenty of LET love it.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Custom web root? Kind of defeats the use case for an easy solution like a control panel.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

CentOS web panel is probably the most decent free option out there.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:
    CentMinMod? It's a text based manager, but plenty of LET love it.

Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 has beta testing for letsencrypt integration with custom web root support in addons/acmetool.sh https://centminmod.com/acmetool

old example for one of my users https://community.centminmod.com/threads/official-acmetool-sh-testing-thread-for-centmin-mod-123-09beta01.8290/#post-34773

not all of the acmetool.sh options work for the more advanced amazon s3 related commands that part is still work in progress

./acmetool.sh {acme-menu|acmeinstall|acmeupdate|acmesetup|manual|issue|reissue|renew|certonly-issue|s3issue|s3reissue|s3renew|renewall|checkdates}

Usage Commands: 
     ./acmetool.sh acme-menu
     ./acmetool.sh acmeinstall
     ./acmetool.sh acmeupdate
     ./acmetool.sh acmesetup
     ./acmetool.sh manual
     ./acmetool.sh issue domainname
     ./acmetool.sh issue domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh issue domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh issue domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh reissue domainname
     ./acmetool.sh reissue domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh reissue domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh reissue domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh renew domainname
     ./acmetool.sh renew domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh renew domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh renew domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived
     ./acmetool.sh certonly-issue domainname
     ./acmetool.sh certonly-issue domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh s3issue domainname
     ./acmetool.sh s3issue domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh s3issue domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh s3issue domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh s3reissue domainname
     ./acmetool.sh s3reissue domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh s3reissue domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh s3reissue domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh s3renew domainname
     ./acmetool.sh s3renew domainname d
     ./acmetool.sh s3renew domainname live
     ./acmetool.sh s3renew domainname lived
     ./acmetool.sh renewall
     ./acmetool.sh renewall live
     ./acmetool.sh renewall lived
     ./acmetool.sh checkdates

where ending flags for d = https default but using staging letsencrypt ssl cert, live = is live trusted letsencrypt ssl cert but http + https and lived = live trusted letsencrypt ssl cert and https only default

most of all is explained at https://centminmod.com/acmetool

relevant ones for custom webroot would be

./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-issue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-reissue domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot d
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot live
     ./acmetool.sh webroot-renew domainname /path/to/custom/webroot lived

custom webroots still have to be within a specific path of /home/nginx/domains/yourdomain.com/*

default centmin mod web root path is /home/nginx/domains/yourdomain.com/public

so if you want live trusted letsencrypt ssl cert via webroot authentication with domain name = yourdomain.com for custom path /home/nginx/domains/yourdomain.com/custompath

./acmetool.sh webroot-issue yourdomain.com /home/nginx/domains/yourdomain.com/custompath lived

Haven't tested much custom web root path since I created the function as it's worked all the time for me. So might want to do test on test server.

As it's beta for acmetool.sh script itself I mainly get folks to follow one of 2 guides

these are for the default web roots not custom

Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 supports PHP 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2 branches - only one version at a time but you can upgrade or downgrade to any PHP-FPM version you want - see benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/php-7-2-0-rc5-released.13155/

Working on multiple PHP-FPM versions for the future though https://community.centminmod.com/threads/addons-php71-sh-multiple-php-fpm-versions-work-preview.11900/

Thanked by 3erkin sureiam szarka
  • You guys are awesome! Looks like i have so fun ahead of me.

1. Webmin/Virtualmin: You will have plenty of modification and customization options there, but it is not made for noobies. IMO, the best server and web control panel out there.
    2. ISPConfig: A lot of customization can be made when installing the elements. Because, you first install every element you will use (apache/nginx, database, php etc.) and on the top of that, the panel itself.
    3. Kloxo MR: Has lot of options for customization, including custom web root. I don't remember if Mustafa had include Let's Encrypt module already, I think he had.
    4. Centos Web Panel: Lot of options but a bit heavy. You can also customize web root.

VestaCP is an excellent panel, but it is made for easiness and it will not give high tolerate to customizations.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • @jarland said:
    Custom web root? Kind of defeats the use case for an easy solution like a control panel.

Can't say I agree. For example you have a web-app that needs a directory within itself to be public. Sure you can use .htaccess to get that done but I would of course rather have a custom web-root for that vhost. Or are we thinking of different webroots?

• @WSS said:
    CentMinMod? It's a text based manager, but plenty of LET love it.
    @eva2000 said:
    Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 has beta testing for letsencrypt integration with custom web root support in addons/acmetool.sh https://centminmod.com/acmetool

I'm really liking the idea of Centmin as I don't need a web based panel necessarily, I'm very comfortable in shell and frankly find it much faster to navigate and use vs a panel. I'll be giving centmin a try soon I believe.

P.S. I was a little surprised by the recommended requirements. I assume it's based on a full install of email, dns, etc. But VestaCP for example took up 150mb-ish of ram with a basic NGINX, Mariadb, PHP-FPM install. Email and DNS will be offloaded else where.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

I have started testing ispconfig3 for a while and really happy with it so far. It even comes with its own, free, APS (package installer) which covers a lot tbh. No need for softaculous even though it is ready for integration anytime. My clients who tested it love it so far, too. Acctually more than cPanel. ispconfig also comes with LE :) Multiserver and ovz support is also nice to have^^

Thanked by 2jvnadr karjaj
  • Ympker said: I have started testing ispconfig3

ISPConfig is a really good balance between Virtualmin (tons of available configs, not for newbies) and VestaCP (minimum configuration options, it works out of the box with an one click install).
    And it has a plus, an integrated billing system for a minimal fee.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • What is failing on VestaCP for you ?
    What exact PHP pkg are you trying to host ? Laravel, CakePHP or alike ?

If you want custom webroot, just edit your
    /home/vestauser/conf/nginx.conf and change the directory ?

If you want this to be repeated for more websites, just create a new nginx template in
    /usr/local/vesta/data/templates/web/nginx and apply that template to your domains

• @mehargags said:
    What is failing on VestaCP for you ?

If you want this to be repeated for more websites, just create a new nginx template in
    /usr/local/vesta/data/templates/web/nginx and apply that template to your domains

looks like op wants php7 to install automatically on centos with vestacp.

When I used vestacp few months back on centos it used to install php5.* -> with ubuntu it installed php7.

• @mehargags said:
    What is failing on VestaCP for you ?

Laravel to begin with but more than that just the easy ability to upgrade to 7.1 using IUS or Remi repos and have it pick that up after removal of php5.6. After an hour of trying to get that done I gave up.

The webroot change via the .conf for the specific vhost also didn't work out as I had hoped.

In all seriousness I spent 3x the amount of time trying to get VestaCP working right for my needs than it would have taken to just do it manually myself. That means it falls short of being a worth while replacement to manually configuring and maintaining the server via SSH. So I'll consider and test a few others and see if they fit the bill.

I believe VestaCP is a nice one click setup and I would recommend it to others starting out but it fell short of my expectations and needs.

So far ISPConfig and Centmin have my attention.

• sureiam said: Laravel to begin with but more than that just the easy ability to upgrade to 7.1 using IUS or Remi repos and have it pick that up after removal of php5.6. After an hour of trying to get that done I gave up.

don't have any experience in using Laravel myself but one of my centmin mod users asked and some info at

hasn't been updated in ages so mileage may vary :)

• @BecomeWebHost said:

When I used vestacp few months back on centos it used to install php5.* -> with ubuntu it installed php7.

Interesting... I guess that makes sense considering the default repos for Centos cap out at 5.7...

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2017

sureiam said: I'm really liking the idea of Centmin as I don't need a web based panel necessarily, I'm very comfortable in shell and frankly find it much faster to navigate and use vs a panel. I'll be giving centmin a try soon I believe.

In that case, you'd like Centmin Mod - it has wrapper script and shell based menus to automate tasks to save time but is works just as well via SSH command line for folks like yourself and me. I find graphical gui control panels slower to do certain tasks compared to SSH command line :)

i.e. mass creating many nginx vhosts and databases via command line https://community.centminmod.com/threads/guide-save-time-creating-nginx-vhost-mysql-users-and-databases.8257/

might want to check out https://community.centminmod.com/threads/guide-to-learning-more-about-centmin-mod.10838/

also work in progress Centmin Mod info install slides https://centminmod.com/slides/install/

• @sureiam said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

Interesting... I guess that makes sense considering the default repos for Centos cap out at 5.7...

exactly. there is some tutorial on vestacp forums on how to install php7 on centos. you can create a script from that which does your automation.

• rumi4rumi4 Member
    edited November 2017

Please try CyberPersons Panel ;) its new one and ligt...

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

@BecomeWebHost said:

@sureiam said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

exactly. there is some tutorial on vestacp forums on how to install php7 on centos. you can create a script from that which does your automation.

I followed a tutorial specific to VestaCP and have updated to php 7.1 on my other centos boxes (using iUS repo). However no matter what i did including removing php 5.x the new vestacp vhosts wouldn't get php 7.x. I'm sure it's something that could have been resolved but again defeats the purpose if it would have been faster to just do it manually ;)

@eva2000 said:

sureiam said: I'm really liking the idea of Centmin as I don't need a web based panel necessarily, I'm very comfortable in shell and frankly find it much faster to navigate and use vs a panel. I'll be giving centmin a try soon I believe.

In that case, you'd like Centmin Mod - it has wrapper script and shell based menus to automate tasks to save time but is works just as well via SSH command line for folks like yourself and me. I find graphical gui control panels slower to do certain tasks compared to SSH command line :)

Yes indeed that is the one I'm playing with. If i intended to have "clients" on this KVM I'd consider a GUI of some sort for them but for myself I shell all the way..

@rumi4 said:
    Please try CyberPanel ;) its new one and ligt...

I'll consider it since you asked so nicely ;)

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • Try SENTORA.

• CentrioHost said: Try SENTORA.

Oh, it's 2014 again!

Really, mate?

Thanked by 1jar
  • The only thing that worries me about VestaCP right now is this statement:

Of course it is stated that the project will not drop but a VestaCP Staff acctually mentioning "dropping the project" is a bit frightening. I guess I wouldn't expect to read that on e.g. ISPConfig forums (which is also free).

• @Ympker said:
    The only thing that worries me about VestaCP right now is this statement:

Of course it is stated that the project will not drop but a VestaCP Staff acctually mentioning "dropping the project" is a bit frightening. I guess I wouldn't expect to read that on e.g. ISPConfig forums (which is also free).

Oh wow that is interesting!

• @sureiam said:

@Ympker said:

Ya^^

https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15119

• @Ympker said:

@sureiam said:

@Ympker said:

Ya^^

https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15119

Looks like there also missed their sept. 2017 timeline based on that thread.

• Seems like^^