Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly billing for Xeon Phi VMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly billing for Xeon Phi VMs?

Anyone aware of any place offering hourly billing for Xeon Phi virtual machines? I searched for awhile and couldn't find anything, although I'm willing to admit that perhaps my Google-fu is not as strong as it could be.

I'm aware that GPGPU is more efficient, but would like to see how the existing codebase works before committing to CUDA.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I had a google around, could not find anything either.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Looked them up on ark and figured they'd list for $10K each but they're really not much more expensive than E5s, e.g.:

https://ark.intel.com/products/94033/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7210-16GB-1_30-GHz-64-core

No virt support, though I imagine in this market segment that's irrelevant.

edited November 2017

raindog308 said: No virt support, though I imagine in this market segment that's irrelevant.

I thought Phi's are co-processors? I imagine you would need a VMware or Xen based VPS for supported passthrough, although the segment for this sort of kit is likely near zero for VPS use cases so its probably worth going direct to CUDA unless you want to drop several hundred on leasing a server for a month.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We've looked at the odd CPUs such as this and AMD's but its just going to be people spinning them up to test then destroying them.

• @AnthonySmith said:

raindog308 said: No virt support, though I imagine in this market segment that's irrelevant.

I thought Phi's are co-processors?

The newer ones are socketed like any old CPU, the people who want these types of insanely parallelized CPUs don't want to waste a PCI slot for it, since that could be a GPU instead, which absolutely blows any CPU, even a phi, out of the water.

Setsura said: The newer ones are socketed like any old CPU, the people who want these types of insanely parallelized CPUs don't want to waste a PCI slot for it, since that could be a GPU instead, which absolutely blows any CPU, even a phi, out of the water.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Setsura said: The newer ones are socketed like any old CPU, the people who want these types of insanely parallelized CPUs don't want to waste a PCI slot for it, since that could be a GPU instead, which absolutely blows any CPU, even a phi, out of the water.

The only possible use I can see for these Xeon Phis is to compliment a GPU because in most uses I can see, an E5 is almost as good and in some cases (i.e. using smaller data sets) the E5 is better.

• @vmhaus said:
    We've looked at the odd CPUs such as this and AMD's but its just going to be people spinning them up to test then destroying them.

Provider still gets money for it

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@corbpie said:

@vmhaus said:

Provider still gets money for it

But the ROI is horrible unless you get some real clients.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Maybe check the geekbench-type sites? See if any of the tests with that CPU have some hints as to the provider in the test name.