Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think...Dedi with masses of storage space...for Opencloud I think
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think...Dedi with masses of storage space...for Opencloud I think

Hey everyone.

I'm new here, and looking for a point in the right direction. Lately, I've been looking to "improve" some of what we do in our IT set up. Presently, a key area of this is file "sharing" and storage - for our customers to access their data. So it's very limited sharing etc, and lots of storage - we currently use an online solution from Opendrive, which I'm finding very limited from here in the UK.

So, with some investigation of this site, I cam up with the idea that what I was probably looking for is a budget Dedi, or Shared, on which I can install OwnCloud to give me similar functionality to the current set up. My issue really is concerned with storage space I think - I'd be looking for 2Tb which might be upgraded in future. To put this in some perspective, the BuyVM offer I saw in another thread rung my bell pretty well, but as many other threads point out, getting hold if it not so easy.

Cost wise, I figure I should be able to run something like the above with around 2 or 3TB HDD for the magical $50-$60 a month - I really don't mind so much on location so long as reliable (will look to mirrored "backup" in near future, for now that's on a local NAS here), bandwidth is not a major concern, and 5Tb seems to be a magic number around - though 2 would be adequate I think (no genuine idea though). I also don't know so much about processor cores and RAM, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be getting Xeon processors, and masses of RAM at that price point.

Help, and offers would be very appreciated - already learning a load from lurking here.

Thanks in advance guys.

Bill.

Comments

• ztecztec Member

For $50-60 a month you can get a pretty decent dedicated server these days.

• Thanks @ztec - that's good to know. I've seen "many" offers, though the majority seem to come with what amounts to about 10% of the space I need, or have massive monthly adds for larger space.

I'm feeling like even the Dropboxes and Livedrives of the world don't get that some of us "businesses" don't have 50+ employees, maybe want 90% of our customers just to access one folder which just might contain a few tens of GB of data, for download to their own sites, and only really two or three employees uploading and administering as such. That's really what drove me to looking at doing it this way.

So it's not space for reselling, or even that I think we'd put a massive bandwidth strain on - just really reliable file storage/access/sharing.. kind of thing.

I'll meantime just keep looking to see who's offering what and try to figure out a good deal in it all somewhere :)

• Thanks @texteditor - will check those out now :)

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013

@accordfire said:
    Cost wise, I figure I should be able to run something like the above with around 2 or 3TB HDD for the magical $50-$60 a month - I really don't mind so much on location so long as reliable (will look to mirrored "backup" in near future, for now that's on a local NAS here), bandwidth is not a major concern, and 5Tb seems to be a magic number around - though 2 would be adequate I think (no genuine idea though). I also don't know so much about processor cores and RAM, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be getting Xeon processors, and masses of RAM at that price point.

You might want to have a look at EUServ's Filer-Servers.

• Thanks @ska - will check that out too :)

• Hoo Kay... so I've gone ahead and ordered a Mini-SP from OVH as @texteditor suggested, just waiting for confirmation of it all now.

Seems quite handy that I could specify it running on Debian with Own Cloud as a default config - will certainly save having to manually install it.

Interesting though that although they give an Irish address, transaction seems to be in French, and they don't seems to know that there's a whole United Kingdom full of addresses too.... ah well - if and when the confirmation email arrives, I'll see whether I've bought a Bentley or a trabant I guess :)

• ReeceReece Member
    edited August 2013

@accordfire - Best of luck with your self storage solution, you will find out it works out much cheaper in the long run.

However, I'd suggest looking at some protection on your storage drives, RAID1 or 5 maybe a better solution, but there comes the added extra costs. By far a much cheaper route compared to "cloud space"

OVH's network is good, and the price you can't complain, are you planning to branch out on your mirrors?

A Irish address? That's gotta be some tax dodgin there ;)

• @Reece - thanks!

From further investigation it seems they have a UK site too, that I didn't see to start with so I've asked if the account can be transferred. As it happens, VAT in Eire is more expensive than the UK - so the dodge is for them lol! Ah well, either way - as you say, for the price, it looks good!

RAID on the mSP is Soft RAID 1 - so "some" mirroring, which is better than none at all I guess - I get 2TB of space in that.

Yes, going forward, my plan was essentially to replicate the data across to a BuyVM or similar Dedi when it becomes available and funds allow - for the moment I have two lowly WD Live NAS drives here on which my world resides as far as data goes - not an ideal insurance policy, but at least I know I have a mirrored copy of the data here at all times.

• @accordfire said:
    RAID on the mSP is Soft RAID 1 - so "some" mirroring, which is better than none at all I guess - I get 2TB of space in that.

You can reconfigure your drive layout to raid0 or jbod later in their control panel if you want