Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bought a VPS.. now what? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bought a VPS.. now what?

13»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I was born a quiter. My idol is George Costanza.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • Check centminmod aswell.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited November 2017

deleted

• @sureiam said:

@WSS said:
    Installing VirtualBox and cutting your teeth there is a much easier way for people to learn their way into this new strange text-based operating system.

True on all marks.. However I imagine most would get very bored of a VM running on their computer. Where as a Pi seems like almost a whole different PC (it is), and the low power state of it allows it to run tasks 24/7 without it really impacting the power bill.

Power really, this is where you guys start to sound like geeks,
    how much power is a small laptop going to pull,
    I have a laptop running 24/7 running two servers, have not seen my Edison bill go sky high..

• @painfreepc said:

@sureiam said:

@WSS said:
    Installing VirtualBox and cutting your teeth there is a much easier way for people to learn their way into this new strange text-based operating system.

True on all marks.. However I imagine most would get very bored of a VM running on their computer. Where as a Pi seems like almost a whole different PC (it is), and the low power state of it allows it to run tasks 24/7 without it really impacting the power bill.

Power really, this is where you guys start to sound like geeks,
    how much power is a small laptop going to pull,
    I have a laptop running 24/7 running two servers, have not seen my Edison bill go sky high..

I once left my desktop running accidentally during a 4 week trip idling. Came back to a bill about $90 higher... Your power costs are not the same as others. A laptop can sit idle and crunch numbers but can also ramp up pretty high to about 65watts on average. That's enough to change a power bill. When comparing that to a a MAX of 2.1w on a PI 2 and 3.7w on a PI 3 with an idle around 1.4w for both and you can see the dramatic difference in cost.

Besides the PI is very capable little device for home server and tasks. The 100mbps eth port is it's only real limiting factor. Run your PI 24/7 and you won't see any real difference in power cost or sound pollution in your home.

You can offload all the internet based server tasks you need to a dedicated server or VPS and keep the PI for home usage and still come out ahead easily after power consumption and internet costs are concerned (not to mention the reliability of offloading that work to a datacenter)

Big bulky home servers seem pointless to me now, perhaps you have other needs.

In any case the point of my argument was in regards to learning shell based linux management on the cheap and the PI being a solution that could grow with the user and be used for tasks that a user wouldn't want to leave a computer running in a VM to manage.

• if you want to host websites then install control panel like free centos web panel. You can do many things with vps like install apps or media servers.