Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for hourly VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for hourly VPS

Hi,

I am looking for some VPS provider which charges by the hour. I plan to do some projects on IP allocations across different areas so I need to have a lot of bandwidth and may be crawling a lot of sites. I then want to switch of when I am not using. Anybody who could give me some rates?

Comments

• Vultr, DigitalOcean?

I don't think it's going to be like you switch if off and it's not billed but you can use snapshots

• If your resource needs are minimal, and you don't need IPv6, you might want to have a look at CloudCone in Los Angeles. Starts around $2.19/month, billed hourly: https://cloudcone.com/cloud-servers/

I just turned up a small VPS there to kick the tires and it looks pretty good.

Thanked by 2bersy Cloudcone
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Linode is great.
    Much faster than DO and has a better pricing.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

If you are looking for tens to hundreds of IP's and crawling -- you should look into automating your task, and consider using something like AWS that has broad support for its API (Boto3 for Python) and platform automation with something like Terraform. If you can automate and use spot instances and request queuing it would be even cheaper.

The costs for the actual VPS's should be almost nothing if you only use them when they are running jobs, and immediately kill them when theres no tasks planned.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • +1 for AWS
    But I'm afraid that new accounts has a limitation on the EC2 instances and locations and you will have to contact support to get it lifted (if possible) and if you do a little search you may find a promo that gives you $100 or $200 of credit to test with it first

• Isnt AWS much more expesnive than a VPS? Why would I prefer to use that?

You asked about a host where you could get hourly instances to scrape. This seems like you have something you developed to scrape -- and if so -- can you parallelize it and lots of AWS spot instances (which are cheap, but you can get lots of them, and a nearly infinite pool of IP addresses to use).

Yes -- Using AWS like a monthly VPS is more expensive. Using it to do short bursts of work that is parallelizable and can use an API to spin up/down resources is cheap.

If this is some app you downloaded, you likely want to find some cheap VPS you can abuse the IP's and throw them away.

• I need to download about 2TB of data. AWS seems too expensive for that. ANy other options?

• AluminatAluminat Member
    edited October 2017

Google Cloud Platform.

Free data ingress. Free 300$ trial credit if you can verify with them.

@sab1234 said:
    I need to download about 2TB of data. AWS seems too expensive for that. ANy other options?

Keep in mind most hourly hosts prorate the transfer. I think Vultr says in their documentation that in some cases it can be cheaper to leave an instance running than kill it, as if you kill it you are at risk for paying a higher overage rate.

• @IonSwitch_Stan

It's true. Vultr bills hourly bandwidth by using a formula (bandwidth allowed for 30 days / 720).

Which means unless you allow the instance to run for the entire month to be allowed the entire allotment, you'll be billed overages if you exceed the hourly cap.

Source: https://www.vultr.com/faq/

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

On LunaNode bandwidth over the plan allocation on our VMs is billed at $0.003/GB.

https://lunanode.com

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

If free incoming traffic is at stake, there's iwstack to add to the list, albeit probably not as convenient to automate as other solutions