Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others

Comments

• @raindog308 said:
    I'm back to wishing BackBlaze would go bankrupt. OMG.

You know the unique bucket name is also the case for AWS and many other object storage solutions, such as Ceph with radosgw?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

Just upgraded my hubiC plan to the 10TB plan. Now to see how long it takes to reflect the change on my account. Wish me luck! :)

So it looks like hubiC has no automation in place and doesn't keep track of invoices or transactions... how can a company as big as OVH manage to be so behind when it comes to technology. This is just weird to me to see a control panel that requires 100% manual interaction from the host AND requires manually inputting each invoice in transaction in by hand. I can see why people have lost data because their payments need to be manually input into the system.

• @KuJoe said:
    So it looks like hubiC has no automation in place and doesn't keep track of invoices or transactions... how can a company as big as OVH manage to be so behind when it comes to technology. This is just weird to me to see a control panel that requires 100% manual interaction from the host AND requires manually inputting each invoice in transaction in by hand. I can see why people have lost data because their payments need to be manually input into the system.

OVH flags a bunch of transactions for manual verification, same happens at a bunch of other providers - the difference is, OVH tells you about it, a bunch of other providers doesn't.

They do automatically detect transactions when doing CC, Direct Debit or PayPal for example, but sometimes they'll just flag a transaction for a manual review.

I think it happens on about 30% of my orders that it has to be validated manually.

@KuJoe said:
    I can see why people have lost data because their payments need to be manually inputted into the system.

Please lose data because they don't renew on time - it's not related - stop making false assumptions.

@Zerpy said:

>

Please lose data because they don't renew on time - it's not related - stop making false assumptions.

There were a lot of people complaining about this on their forums before it closed. People who lost terabytes of data because they were unable to pay their invoices for weeks. I personally experienced this issue when I joined also months ago. I tried paying the invoice and it wouldn't let me, their support finally contacted me weeks later asking if I still wanted to pay the invoice but by then I lost interest. That's a huge concern I have but since it's a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup I'm willing to take that risk.

edited October 2017

Zerpy said: I think it happens on about 30% of my orders that it has to be validated manually.

Also I don't mind them manually validating my first payment, I'm fine with that. But not being able to show me my invoice and it's status until after they process the payment is just weird. Any billing system worth its salt will show you both paid and unpaid invoices when you login to your account.

• Poor idrive.com, nobody mentions them.. I use it.

• 2 tb for $70/year, even less for newcomers.
    • multiple computers in one account
    • supports Linux and a bunch of other stuff
    • restores from client gui
    • full disk images backup
    • file history, multiple revisions
    • sucky design, they should hire me.
    • free 5gb to try.
    Thanked by 2raindog308 szarka
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

KuJoe said: 100% manual interaction

I can understand that, automate too much and you get tons of abuse as soon as criminals find ways around. A human recognizes patterns without needing complicated code that needs updated every day to keep up and only after the horse has bolted many times.
    OVH is so huge there is no wonder they are targeted by abusers so much, but at times I think they go to extremes denying service by country of origin and calling people criminals on the same criteria.

And, no, I am not paranoid, it happened to salvatore too, because, you know, Italians are mafiosi.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    And, no, I am not paranoid, it happened to salvatore too, because, you know, Italians are mafiosi.

Good to know, another good reason to avoid OVH and spend my money elsewhere...

@Maounique said:

KuJoe said: 100% manual interaction

I can understand that, automate too much and you get tons of abuse as soon as criminals find ways around. A human recognizes patterns without needing complicated code that needs updated every day to keep up and only after the horse has bolted many times.
    OVH is so huge there is no wonder they are targeted by abusers so much, but at times I think they go to extremes denying service by country of origin and calling people criminals on the same criteria.

I don't mind the manual review/activation (even though I've been a client for over a year and pay with the same credit card each month). The thing that bothers me is I cannot see paid or unpaid invoices on my account until they manually create/add them to my account. Basically I upgraded my account, paid the invoice, and according to their system they had no record of my order, invoice, or payment that I could see and no e-mails about the invoice or payment. In the event I had to open a ticket with their support I couldn't even give them an invoice number to look up.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2017

I've been using Backblaze, both computer backup and B2, for several years now. Neither of the screaming-into-a-void statements made here valid.

If you want some actual complaints, try some such as "only datacenters are on the west coast of the US" or "every pod is connected at gigabit max".

• @Damian said:
    I've been using Backblaze, both computer backup and B2, for several years now. Neither of the screaming-into-a-void statements made here valid.

If you want some actual complaints, try some such as "only datacenters are on the west coast of the US" or "every pod is connected at gigabit max".

I have moved from B2 as I found it would randomly go down or spit out random errors for no reason whatsoever, but backblaze on my macbook pro and PC works perfectly

• lukehebb said: I found it would randomly go down or spit out random errors for no reason whatsoever,

Things don't spit out errors for no reason whatsoever. Did you contact them about it? Their support is quite responsive, especially for B2 issues.

• edited October 2017

@raindog308 Let me tell you backblaze, especially b2, is the best thing that has come to the cloud backing in years, before that things were a little bit different. Although, it suffers from some really bad weakness that you FAILED TO MENTION.

You have to acknowledge that there has been numerous players offering an "unlimited" version of personal cloud backup, while at the same time various threat actors such as yourself put a dent to their profit margins and they had to cease their operations . The same story happened to CrashPlan, even you have admitted to have stored 7.4TB of data storage with them just because they said it was "unlimited". We could go for days discussing who is to blame and that they should have known better to never advertise "unlimited", but what is done is done.

CrashPlan never intended to store 7.4TB of data for $10 dollars a month, the economics does not add up. You should be smart enough to know that, yet you wanted to believe in "pixie dust" services and relied on "amateur hour" providers thinking they were going to last forever.

They were sadly one of the last companies to suffer from extreme customers like yourself, but I don't believe backblaze will suffer the same faith because they can just switch gears and put everyone on b2 prices.

Besides, it is not $40 dollars to restore a terabyte at backblaze, it is only .02GB($20 per terabyte) plus class C and B transactions. So, unless you are doing a refresh 10 million times like a fucking retard to see how many files you have in your bucket and/or your files are 1-10kb of size, you will not be charged $20 dollars worth of class C and B transactions.

Also, glacier $90 dollars to restore a terabyte is way off, is actually a LOT MORE!
    $90 dollars just covers the bandwidth price, but you still have to pay for UPLOAD requests, data retrieval per gb , and retrieval requests. Depending on your data, how big your data is, and how fast you want to get it back(1-5 minutes, 3-5 hours, or 5-12 hours) you will end up paying around $100-110 dollars per terabyte. Keep in mind, the price difference between glacier and backblaze is $0.001 per gigabyte.

So, 1 terabyte of storage at glacier will cost you $4 dollars a month, while at backblaze it will cost you $5 dollars a month. But you get access to your data right away, as in right that fucking second, not 5-12 hours laters, not 3-5 hours later, and you don't pay 9 cents to download each fucking gigabyte.

On top of that, glacier is not the same kind of storage as backblaze. You should compare apples to apples, not bananas to apples. Glacier could be considered closely to onlines.net c14 storage, which is a vault storage that allows you to archieve and unarchive data. Please read the what you need to know about bucket names link so you can see their reasoning behind the unique bucket name decision.

Backblaze is more comparable to s3 but there are a few advantages that s3 has such as:

• S3 allows you to store their data on multiple regions, and the network is much better than backblaze.
    • Backblaze only has the data stored in one single datacenter in Sacramento, California but have opened a new one in Phoenix, Arizona.
    • S3 transfer protocol is miles ahead of b2 simple api. This was a huge turn off for me, as I was looking for an S3 compatible storage.

However, despite all of those turn offs, the only really bad turn off that you should be worry about is that they only store your data in 1 datacenter(Sacramento).

Your lack of "native" client is not even a worry from their part.

Think about it for a second, your $5 dollar a month is chunk change for them. They are only promoting their $5 dollar a month unlimited back-up to get the word around that they are the new kids on the block. As soon as they see more threat actors such as yourself @raindog308, then they will turn around and give you the fat middle finger and charge you for every terabyte stored at the normal business cloud rate.

Long story short, look at the all of the companies that have tried to offer "personal unlimited" cloud backup, and see how many are left. One by one they fell like dominoes, all thanks to people like you @raindog308 that stored more than they you. But hey whose fault is it, is it the service providers or the threat actors thinking unlimited means storing multiple terabytes worth of data for $10 dollars a month?

Backblaze was not the amateur player like CrashPlan that never offered business cloud backup and instead focused on personal cloud backup. That right there is flag number one of who are the complete amateurs. Besides, Backblaze could pivot and close their personal cloud backup $5 dollar a month service and just focus on the business backup.

I'm only storing around 700 GB with them, but plan on storing more. However, I know one guy that is storing 12 Terabytes of pure logs, and static images, and he is happy with them.

Thanked by 2Damian maverickp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you paid the invoice you must have seen it, otherwise how would you know what to pay?
    I believe they are applying the european accounting system in which you are liable for VAT and taxes when you issue the invoice, so they probably have a proforma or something which becomes obsolete once you paid it and they will issue a real invoice for it at a later time (normally should be instant, but for some reason is not, maybe a cron run or something).
    It does not mean I am excusing them, OVH is far from my list of preferred companies, but I kinda understand what are the problems they face. As usual, a giant can never be as nimble as a small shop with a standard and long tested accounting system. As long as it works for them, without much feedback, there is not much an incentive to change it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@IAlwaysBeCoding are you a Backblaze stockholder or something? :-)

IAlwaysBeCoding said: @raindog308 Let me tell you backblaze, especially b2, is the best thing that has come to the cloud backing in years, before that things were a little bit different.

That seems a bit strong. It's a me-too offering with cheaper pricing, less redundancy, and a tiny company behind it. Not saying it's a bad offering but "the best thing" seems a stretch. I suspect if they didn't have cheap pricing, you may not call them the "best thing".

IAlwaysBeCoding said: CrashPlan never intended to store 7.4TB of data for $10 dollars a month, the economics does not add up. You should be smart enough to know that, yet you wanted to believe in "pixie dust" services and relied on "amateur hour" providers thinking they were going to last forever.

Fair enough - I never asked for unlimited, actually. But if they offer it, why not take advantage. If they put limits or prices in, I'd abide by them. But they didn't.

I had multiple interactions with Code42 support and none of them ever said anything.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Besides, it is not $40 dollars to restore a terabyte at backblaze, it is only .02GB($20 per terabyte) plus class C and B transactions.

What I actually said was "$5/TB/mo to store, a complete restore is $40" That was sloppily phrased - I was discussing storing and retrieving 2TB, which is $40.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Think about it for a second, your $5 dollar a month is chunk change for them. They are only promoting their $5 dollar a month unlimited back-up to get the word around that they are the new kids on the block. As soon as they see more threat actors such as yourself @raindog308, then they will turn around and give you the fat middle finger and charge you for every terabyte stored at the normal business cloud rate.

Wow, I'm a threat actor now :-)

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Also, glacier $90 dollars to restore a terabyte is way off, is actually a LOT MORE! $90 dollars just covers the bandwidth price, but you still have to pay for UPLOAD requests, data retrieval per gb , and retrieval requests. Depending on your data, how big your data is, and how fast you want to get it back(1-5 minutes, 3-5 hours, or 5-12 hours) you will end up paying around $100-110 dollars per terabyte.

This is good info. I haven't really explored Glacier, which yes, is a different offering than B2. However, the reality is that BackBlaze doesn't support Linux for backup. They say "use duplicity and b2" so it's fair to compare b2 to backup solutions because that's what BB does.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Please read the what you need to know about bucket names link so you can see their reasoning behind the unique bucket name decision.

I have read it. Their excuse is "but other cloud providers do it"...so? It's just dumb - I have to compete with 7bn other humans to dream up bucket names? Yes, I can use a UUID or whatever but still...very disappointing when it doesn't need to be that way.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Your lack of "native" client is not even a worry from their part.

But as someone observed upstream, they do have a downloader, so...

IAlwaysBeCoding said: One by one they fell like dominoes, all thanks to people like you @raindog308 that stored more than they you. But hey whose fault is it, is it the service providers or the threat actors thinking unlimited means storing multiple terabytes worth of data for $10 dollars a month?

Theirs! I don't accept your narrative that "people spoiled ACD and CrashPlan". These companies set the terms and people use them. If you can't be profitable at those terms, don't offer them.

BTW, I don't view the 2TB I have as extreme, and I could see it doubling easily. 7TB doesn't even seem that extreme to me, really. It's 2017.

I did play with B2 a bit. Unfortunately, any large-scale use with rclone got a fair number of "Failed to copy: Post https://(long url): http: ContentLength=100663336 with Body length 0" and other errors, plus of course being a cloud storage provider they don't support links, have limitations on file names, etc.

Thanked by 1MasonR

Damian said: Neither of the screaming-into-a-void statements made here valid.

So they do support Linux for backup? :-)

• raindog308 said: So they do support Linux for backup? :-)

Not for their computer backup offering, but they provide instructions to back up your Linux computer with B2.

The desktop apps are less than stellar with large and unremovable default exclusions which make it geared towards regular human beings, but not towards people like you and I.

Damian said: The desktop apps are less than stellar with large and unremovable default exclusions which make it geared towards regular human beings, but not towards people like you and I.

I thoroughly relished this sentence.

Indeed, my Mom (maybe 10GB total) is switching to BB from CP...

• idrive.com is offering 2TB for $6.95 for the first year if you are coming from a competing product. Just saying.

• edited October 2017

@raindog308 said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding are you a Backblaze stockholder or something? :-)

No, but I consider myself a YOLO native after living in Davis for 15 years.

@raindog308 said:
    I have read it. Their excuse is "but other cloud providers do it"...so? It's just dumb - I have to compete with 7bn other humans to dream up bucket names? Yes, I can use a UUID or whatever but still...very disappointing when it doesn't need to be that way.

You mentioned S3 as an alternative, but did you also read their policy of unique bucket names across all of S3?

Is just seems utterly funny how you made a freaking image calling them "amateur hour" on their unique bucket name policy, when S3 has the same exact requirement and it is the biggest cloud storage in the world!

Is S3 also "amateur hour" lol...

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Your lack of "native" client is not even a worry from their part.

But as someone observed upstream, they do have a downloader, so...

IAlwaysBeCoding said: One by one they fell like dominoes, all thanks to people like you @raindog308 that stored more than they you. But hey whose fault is it, is it the service providers or the threat actors thinking unlimited means storing multiple terabytes worth of data for $10 dollars a month?

Theirs! I don't accept your narrative that "people spoiled ACD and CrashPlan". These companies set the terms and people use them. If you can't be profitable at those terms, don't offer them.

Why would then complain when those shops close on their "unlimited" plans? If you are willing to trust your data on "unlimited" , which by the way seems like anyone that values their data would never place their data on a $10 dollar a month unlimited data, then why come and bitch about it when it comes to find another provider to reupload your 2-7TB of data?

It makes no sense, you want people to feel bad because you got used to a perfectly fine "native" client that "supported linux" on an "unlimited cloud storage" for $10 dollars a month. Now that they are closed, you can't get used to anything sub-par of the "pampered" experience you got from CrashPlan.

I mean sooner or later you had to get a dose of reality that $10 dollars a month for unlimited cloud storage doesn't exist to be a long lasting solution.

BTW, I don't view the 2TB I have as extreme, and I could see it doubling easily. 7TB doesn't even seem that extreme to me, really. It's 2017.

7TB isn't extreme if you are talking about "business data" that is actually paid for every gigabyte stored and downloaded. But 7TB is bordering data hoarder when you are talking about personal data that is offered at a set price for "unlimited", especially for a $10 dollar a month price.

I did play with B2 a bit. Unfortunately, any large-scale use with rclone got a fair number of "Failed to copy: Post https://(long url): http: ContentLength=100663336 with Body length 0" and other errors, plus of course being a cloud storage provider they don't support links, have limitations on file names, etc.

Right... so because a third-party client failed to provide a proper way to upload to B2 that makes B2 suddenly not good for any "large-scale" use. Rclone is not a native client to B2 and requires you to use the command line.So why the heck don't you use b2 native cli client that runs on Windows, Linux and Mac?

You also keep mentioning "Linux for backup" ? What does that even mean?
    All you really needed to do was search on google "b2 command line", just 3 freaking words and you would have gotten your "Linux for backup" solution.

Here let me help you:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=b2+command+line

I personally use it on 5 machines , 4 ubuntu and 1 centos so I can confirm b2 has linux support.

You just need to do a pip command and you have it ready to go.

edited October 2017

Harzem said: idrive.com is offering 2TB for $6.95 for the first year if you are coming from a competing product. Just saying.

Actually it's 5TB :-)

https://blog.idrive.com/2017/08/22/crashplan-users-we-invite-you-to-try-idrive/

EDIT: cool animated .gif removed because I realized it was 13MB.

2ND EDIT: FYI for people considering this offer, you do need to provide a screenshot or other proof that you really did have a CP account.

• I've never seen anyone mention it on here, but I'm a big fan of Urbackup - https://www.urbackup.org

You can do file or image backups, works well for Windows and is free/self-hosted. I backup 8 clients onto a 1TB VPS with 512MB ram and it works great. I've never done a full file restore, I expect it'd take some time but I'm confident in that it will work.

Harzem said: idrive.com is offering 2TB for $6.95 for the first year if you are coming from a competing product. Just saying.

Hmmm...

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.idrive.com

Thanked by 1uptime

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Is S3 also "amateur hour" lol...

A global namespace that you can't control and anyone can step on? That's stupid no matter who does it. B2 gets an extra sticker for copying it.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Why would then complain when those shops close on their "unlimited" plans? If you are willing to trust your data on "unlimited" , which by the way seems like anyone that values their data would never place their data on a $10 dollar a month unlimited data, then why come and bitch about it when it comes to find another provider to reupload your 2-7TB of data?

I don't remember complaining...? I said CP was closing and so I had a new reality.

I don't remember "coming and bitching" about CP closing, but rather explaining other options I was looking at.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: 7TB isn't extreme if you are talking about "business data" that is actually paid for every gigabyte stored and downloaded. But 7TB is bordering data hoarder when you are talking about personal data that is offered at a set price for "unlimited", especially for a $10 dollar a month price.

Let's see...

• 500GB is previous 3D art projects
    • 300GB is 15 years' of family photos
    • 300GB is music and ripped CDs
    • 40GB of video classes and stuff I've taken
    • 120GB of Logic Pro audio
    • 200GB of camcorder raw

So that's nearly 1.5TB and we haven't even gotten to video.

If I was more serious about photography, making movies, etc. it would not be hard at all to get to 7TB.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Right... so because a third-party client failed to provide a proper way to upload to B2 that makes B2 suddenly not good for any "large-scale" use. Rclone is not a native client to B2 and requires you to use the command line.So why the heck don't you use b2 native cli client that runs on Windows, Linux and Mac?

IAlwaysBeCoding said: You also keep mentioning "Linux for backup" ? What does that even mean? All you really needed to do was search on google "b2 command line", just 3 freaking words and you would have gotten your "Linux for backup" solution.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Here let me help you:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=b2+command+line

b2 does not provide a backup client. They offer a client with sync features, which is completely different.

By the way, BB's official recommendation for backing up Linux is...a third party app.

b2's cli and rclone do the exact same thing under the cover: a REST request to store a file via https. rclone supports switching out the backend, which b2 doesn't, so it makes sense when trying other services, no?

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@szarka said:

Do we know whether inbound counts toward the 10 TB? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Inbound traffic is counted toward the monthly bandwidth usage.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @raindog308 said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Is S3 also "amateur hour" lol...

A global namespace that you can't control and anyone can step on? That's stupid no matter who does it. B2 gets an extra sticker for copying it.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Why would then complain when those shops close on their "unlimited" plans? If you are willing to trust your data on "unlimited" , which by the way seems like anyone that values their data would never place their data on a $10 dollar a month unlimited data, then why come and bitch about it when it comes to find another provider to reupload your 2-7TB of data?

I don't remember complaining...? I said CP was closing and so I had a new reality.

I don't remember "coming and bitching" about CP closing, but rather explaining other options I was looking at.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: 7TB isn't extreme if you are talking about "business data" that is actually paid for every gigabyte stored and downloaded. But 7TB is bordering data hoarder when you are talking about personal data that is offered at a set price for "unlimited", especially for a $10 dollar a month price.

Let's see...

• 500GB is previous 3D art projects
    • 300GB is 15 years' of family photos
    • 300GB is music and ripped CDs
    • 40GB of video classes and stuff I've taken
    • 120GB of Logic Pro audio
    • 200GB of camcorder raw

Okay that makes sense, I have 17gb of personal fotos from just this year. Albeit, it is from my extended family since I take only 5 photos a year.

I do have around 110 GB of ripped music as well.
    Have about 5GB of video classes for the red hat certification tests.

So that's nearly 1.5TB and we haven't even gotten to video.

If I was more serious about photography, making movies, etc. it would not be hard at all to get to 7TB.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Right... so because a third-party client failed to provide a proper way to upload to B2 that makes B2 suddenly not good for any "large-scale" use. Rclone is not a native client to B2 and requires you to use the command line.So why the heck don't you use b2 native cli client that runs on Windows, Linux and Mac?

IAlwaysBeCoding said: You also keep mentioning "Linux for backup" ? What does that even mean? All you really needed to do was search on google "b2 command line", just 3 freaking words and you would have gotten your "Linux for backup" solution.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Here let me help you:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=b2+command+line

b2 does not provide a backup client. They offer a client with sync features, which is completely different.

I have never used the backup client though. I only looked at their REST api then looked for a cli to upload my files. I guess If I was looking at it from the personal plan that they have, then I could see your frustations.

By the way, BB's official recommendation for backing up Linux is...a third party app.

I didn't really even see that, point taken. I just assumed everybody just went and straight up looked for the CLI app.

b2's cli and rclone do the exact same thing under the cover: a REST request to store a file via https. rclone supports switching out the backend, which b2 doesn't, so it makes sense when trying other services, no?

Yesterday was my first time I heard about rclone and it was from @WSS mentioning it.

Does Backblaze allow me to encrypt my backups using my own key?

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited October 2017

@KuJoe said:
    Does Backblaze allow me to encrypt my backups using my own key?

On Mac/Windows yes, open the client > settings > security tab

For Linux using B2 just encrypt before you upload

• @IAlwaysBeCoding 5 photos a year? I just checked and surprisingly, I take around 1500 pics a year, which is around 300x more than what you take.