Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Amazon 2017 Fire Tablets - opinions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Amazon 2017 Fire Tablets - opinions?

I’m a been a fan of Amazon’s low-cost Fire Tablets since the 7 first came out - reasonable performance, expandable memory, and in the 8, a nice screen.

The latest iterations are out, and are currently being discounted and I was wondering if they were worth the upgrade - I’m struggling from the blurbs to work out what’s actually been changed.

Does anyone have the new versions and is able to comment on the differences?

Comments

• Wasn't it just the camera that was upgraded? Pretty sure it just uses the same hardware from the last gen.

• WSSWSS Member

The latest iterations have you locked into their FireOS fork, and it's becoming more difficult to use anything which isn't directly tied into their ecosystem. Keep your rooted 2015.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

I bought one of the new Fire 10 HD tablets when they released 2-3 weeks ago. For $150 USD it's great imo, 1080p screen for this cheap is the main reason I bought it. I had to return the first one because it got stuck in a boot loop, but the second one worked fine. Installed Google Play and everything was good.

Edit: Never had an Amazon tablet before this one.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • i choose ipad.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited October 2017

@overclock

Go away, iSheep.

The iPad mini and standard iPad aren't as great as they used to be IMO.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @overclock

Go away, iSheep.

I love the Mini personally. Granted, it’s been a while since it had a spec upgrade but it runs the latest iOS well and the size is ideal for my usage. It blows the Amazon tablets out of the water, as you’d expect for something that costs 10x the price.

I’m obviously spoiled as I’ve had iPads for a good while now, but if I’d only ever had a Fire 8HD I’d be perfectly happy with that.

• overclockoverclock Member
    edited October 2017

@FlamesRunner said:
    @overclock

Go away, iSheep.

whats wrong with you?
    wtf is isheep?
    your brain is broken?

tagging @trewq

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Why? You're going to need to be a lot more insulted before a mod is going to be interested. And your comment was off-topic and perhaps provocative to start with.

The Fire seems to be a great platform for watching/browsing/reading. Tablets in general are kind of the 21st analog to television but the Fire more so because Android just doesn't have the app range of iOS.

Whether that's important depends on you. If the only apps you use are Facebook and VLC, you won't care. But personally here's a ton of games I play on iOS that aren't available on Android (I'm a daily Pocket Tactics reader) so I stick with iPad.

• @raindog308 said:

Why? You're going to need to be a lot more insulted before a mod is going to be interested. And your comment was off-topic and perhaps provocative to start with.

The Fire seems to be a great platform for watching/browsing/reading. Tablets in general are kind of the 21st analog to television but the Fire more so because Android just doesn't have the app range of iOS.

Whether that's important depends on you. If the only apps you use are Facebook and VLC, you won't care. But personally here's a ton of games I play on iOS that aren't available on Android (I'm a daily Pocket Tactics reader) so I stick with iPad.

wow.

• @Nekki

The iPad was great in the day, especially when it was first released. However, if I were to choose, I'd pick the Macbook for the money.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

My prose dazzled you to such an extent...?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

@overclock said:
    i choose ipad.

not for the same budget, the Amazon 2017 Fire is great for all around (books, games, watching videos, browsing internet, etc) except camera.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @Nekki

The iPad was great in the day, especially when it was first released. However, if I were to choose, I'd pick the Macbook for the money.

It really depends on what you want to do with it, and which model. The mini and the ‘iPad’ are less than half the price of a MacBook, if all you want it for is media, browsing, some gaming and maybe some light productivity then they’re compelling options.

• snickerpopsnickerpop Member
    edited October 2017

@overclock said:
    i choose ipad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@FlamesRunner said:
    @overclock

Go away, iSheep.

To keep it real tablets aren't as good as they used to me.
    I want a decent Android Tablet with Cellular. Was going to upgrade my LG G pad that I got free from TMobile. It kind of slow, but their is literally nothing in the midtier.

• I personally have an iPad. While I'd love to have an Android tablet, I really don't want to pay again for my apps.

• I have a bias here, but I quite like them. I don't do any sort of crazy multitasking on my tablets, usually just reading a book or watching a video, and the Fire tablets are great for that. Cheap, good enough screen, plenty of battery life. That's all I really need.