Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Cheap Cloud Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Cheap Cloud Providers

smansman Member
edited August 2013 in General

The most interesting one I've found so far is DigitalOcean. 512MB, 1Core, 20GB SSD, 1TB for $5.

Any other good deals out there? Anyone know what cloud platform DigitalOcean uses? I'm thinking maybe OnApp.

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited August 2013

It has it's own in house panel with KVM as virtualisation but please don't call it cloud.

There is nothing except the pay per hour that makes DO a 'cloud' service.

• Another cloud is from Iperweb and Stylexnetworks (they have problem with IPv6 allocation)

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@INIZ said:
    It has it's own in house panel with KVM as virtualisation but please don't call it cloud.

There is nothing except the pay per hour that makes DO a 'cloud' service.

There seems to be a bit of a debate about whether they are a true cloud service. Storage is local but snapshots/backups and archives are on a NAS that is synced between data centers.

They are also doing something a bit interesting with the kernel. The bootloader seems to be happening outside the VPS. Changing grub.conf has no effect

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Try HostVirtual

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

Hi

we have real cloud infrastructure with server pool and VMs moving in the pool all the time to optimize performance. Also we are fully redundant (if one server fails your VM will not be affected, all network devices even the routers are redundant). we use SAN storage with 10GB network.
    we have good SLA as well

currently we use our own panel but soon will start using cloudstack

look at our new offers here
    https://servarica.com/clients/cart.php?gid=32

if you have questions ask me here or by message
    Thanks

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@gbshouse said:
    Try HostVirtual

Thanks. Their BGP Anycast offering is interesting.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@sman - we can offer you this too

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@gbshouse said:
    sman - we can offer you this too

Do you host cloud services or just DNS?

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Just found a fairly major limitation with DigitalOcean. You cannot install your own kernel. Even if it's stable released CentOS or whatever. You can only boot the kernels that DO provides. They provide a bunch of them but that is not the point. There is actually a newer stable CentOS kernel that has been out for awhile for 6.4 but I can only boot up on an older one.