Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Just-Ping loosing packets
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Just-Ping loosing packets

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
edited August 2013 in General

Just a heads up to anyone who wonders why they are loosing packets. Its not you, its just-ping. Yet another reason to use super-ping.

Comments

• What's with all this super-ping campaign out of sudden at LEB and LET recently? :)

Thanked by 3ska VPSSimon DalComp
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Jack I persume its only some links, some routes or something. Just dont get worried like I did :P

@Spirit maybe its because Just-Ping is CA's unloved child?

• I have experienced issues with just ping at times too. Not always. Some nodes do just go down or have packet loss.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Eh, why would all the locations report packet loss?

• skaska Member

Just-ping.com seems to work quite fine:

Super-ping.com seems to have some problems:

• udkudk Member

Half the super-ping nodes are reporting heavy loss to your IP, maybe you should fix your own network? Just-ping works fine for me.

There is a big difference, between some servers that are taking routes with known ICMP loss due to floods and every location reporting. Want to see a full example (of super-ping atleast, just-ping wont fit in one capture)?

Taken just now, and yes I performed my own testing in those locations that there is actual ICMP loss and its just ICMP (low priority traffic), TCP unaffected.

• skaska Member

So we finally agree that using ICMP traffic is no indicator of if a service is up and running?

• @SplitIce are you in any way affiliated with Super-Ping or it's owners?

edited August 2013

I am not directly affiliated with the owners or anything, but I have donated a node. I am not advertising for them, merely pointing out that you shouldn't always trust just-ping and should always seek a second opinion. I don't know of any other service like them to compare to.