Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDoS Attack - What would you do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDoS Attack - What would you do?

2»

Comments

• chihcherng said: We could report only those verified open resolvers.

And then... what? You want to close 8.8.8.8 down now?

Most open DNS servers are very good by now in preventing misuse.

chihcherng said: The only reason botnets and DDoS become big is because the victims don't know their computers are infected by malware or abused by hackers

An open resolver is never a hacked system. They are configured either wrong or intentional open. No sane hacker would install a DNS server somewhere just to use it for DDoS, especially if he has root access and can just send packets directly.

• Do you have any kind of information about the attack? Packet length, structure, impact etc?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

William said: An open resolver is never a hacked system. They are configured either wrong or intentional open

I respect your expertise and all, anyway sometimes you are so focused on some details you seem to lose the general meaning of some of the posts you quote. hackers/crackers/skids/abusers are terms often users interchangeably even if they are not supposed to be really the same; chihcherng seems to contemplate various hypothesis but he doesn't really seem to imply that an hacker would get root access to install BIND...

About reporting DNS resolvers, for sure it would be pointless to report any and all open DNS resolver but, as bsdguy hinted, providers should be vigilant and reporting abusing (or abused) IP ranges won't harm (on the contrary, you could learn who's professional and who's not). No more than ~6 hours ago I received another mail from OVH confirming that they blocked yet another failover IP I previously reported for UDP flood. Their response time seems to be around ~24 hours (except on week-ends). Reporting abuse patterns to providers is a pain but if everyone were doing that, it wouldn't be that much of a pain maybe

• People on let could use Some training on understanding a ddos attack.

• mfs said: I respect your expertise and all, anyway sometimes you are so focused on some details you seem to lose the general meaning of some of the posts you quote

Possibly, however:

Most DDoS these days is NOT DNS based at all and in size they are only minor; the attack that succeeded them is in fact already dead as well (NTP) and the one after that dies also by now.

Problematic attacks are again TCP based and botnets like in IRC times (nowadays IoT and routers, not systems) - this is a logical path as services utilising UDP either switch to TCP to avoid issues/DDoS or never used it in the first place, so can entirely drop it and prevent attacks.

mfs said: About reporting DNS resolvers, for sure it would be pointless to report any and all open DNS resolver but, as bsdguy hinted, providers should be vigilant and reporting abusing (or abused) IP ranges won't harm (on the contrary, you could learn who's professional and who's not).

You seem to think abuse sent to ISPs is always valid, or real, this is a gross misconception.

Abuse is absolutely not to be trusted - people use DMCA to get owner data and try to force their will, and send fake logs/dumps to get customers shut down.

mfs said: No more than ~6 hours ago I received another mail from OVH confirming that they blocked yet another failover IP I previously reported for UDP flood.

Sending abuse is fine, but expecting it to work on especially notorious uncooperative ISPs that are the major sources (CU, CT, PTT) is wishful thinking, because you have no legal enforcement ability and they do not need to care.

mfs said: Reporting abuse patterns to providers is a pain but if everyone were doing that, it wouldn't be that much of a pain maybe

What you do works on OVH. Or Leaseweb. Or hell, even Rostelecom. But this absolutely does not work in China or Brazil. They do not need to care and do not care.