Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unused android phones
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unused android phones

As I now have two unused android phones doing nothing, I was wondering what you do with unused android phones. Both are running android 4 or up.

I've now set them up to run BOINC, previously they were bitcoin mining via ltcminer to deepbit, but that didn't work :(. Still got 120 hashes/sec from both.

Also one has run a little webserver and ssh client for a while, was thinking to make one of the a raymii.org node.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Surveillance cameras

• skaska Member

You can do a lot with them:

• GPS tracker for your car
    • Internet-Radio receiver
    • Webcam
    • Mediaserver
    • Filesharing with connected USB-Disk
    • Door-Opener
    • Wifi-Hotspot in your car
    • Universal remote for PC
  • I use one for a 3G to wifi hotspot, because 3G USB sticks are not always convenient to use.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Setup a weather balloon, fly it to the edge of the atmosphere and have it take pictures of the side of the earth with a Raspberry Pi + Camera module. When it falls at 100 miles per hour onto the ground potentially hitting a airplane, a bird, and a farmer, use your Android phone with 3G to find the GPS location of the weather balloon.

Thanked by 1Saiku
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Or give me the phones :) XD

• @ska said:
    You can do a lot with them:

• GPS tracker for your car
    • Internet-Radio receiver
    • Webcam
    • Mediaserver
    • Filesharing with connected USB-Disk
    • Door-Opener
    • Wifi-Hotspot in your car
    • Universal remote for PC

The Internet Radio Receiver is a good one. I think I might put one in the car for podcasting, navigation and a WIFI hostspot.

• @rds100 said:
    I use one for a 3G to wifi hotspot, because 3G USB sticks are not always convenient to use.

I do the same. But it has the downside that it requires a continuous power feed.

• Why not just sell them on Ebay marked as "Used"?

• @joelgm said:
    I do the same. But it has the downside that it requires a continuous power feed.

USB plugs in the lighter hole solve that, only make sure your motor is running, otherwise your car battery is drained...

@Jeffrey said:
    Why not just sell them on Ebay marked as "Used"?

Because then I don't even get a quarter of the price I bought them for.

• @Raymii said:
    Because then I don't even get a quarter of the price I bought them for.

I'll give you a quarter of the price then :)

• What phones are these? Model name?

• @black said:
    What phones are these? Model name?

1 Galaxy S4 (EU, GSM) and one chinese clone of the Galaxy S3 Mini, it is named Star SIII mini, but the boot animation is from Samsung. Dual sim tough.

• Sell them

• Whats wrong with the S4? If it was a S1 or 2 I could have understand it but the S4 is still top notch.

• @taronyu said:
    Whats wrong with the S4? If it was a S1 or 2 I could have understand it but the S4 is still top notch.

Does not do Dual Sim. And, I received it as a gift, I wouldn't buy it myself. So, selling it would be harsh for the person who gave it.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Too bad haha, but know the problem.