Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are new gTLDs less secure than conventional ones? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are new gTLDs less secure than conventional ones?

2»

Comments

• Setsura said: What ccTLDs do you think are the safest in terms of political and economical stability of the sponsoring country, as well as their inclination to suspend you for silly things without due process?

Not that simple, because usage is the primary factor in this. I'm not too much into domains so most are not interesting to know policy of, either.

From what i know and use(d) - Overall, with legal usage in both your and the domain country and considering registration restrictions that exclude certain ccTLDs (CA, AU), in no particular order:

• .US/any gTLD of US based owner, this is the SOLE realistic choice for nazi and far right things as well.
    • .EU - EURID is very neutral to avoid issues with member state policy or overall politics, can be used to advantage. Zero doubt it will always exist in some size.
    • .CH/Switzerland - SWITCH has an excellent track record and is absolutely clear on what one can do, the downside is that Switzerland does not protect foreigners from gov spying local. Solid legal system and laws. Zero doubt it will still exist in 100 years.
    • .LI/Liechtenstein - Managed by SWITCH with very similar policies to CH for the government of Liechtenstein. Mixture of CH and LI law applicable. Dictatorship/Monarchy but not an issue.
    • .DE/Germany - DENIC is reasonable and German laws are as well. No protection from BND spying, no actual freedom of speech.
    • .FI/.AX - Interesting things for freedom of speech to some extent.
    • .HK - Yes, that is China now but usage dependent very safe. No doubt of existence in 50 years, albeit suffixed ", Province of China" with likely worse laws.
    • .IL - One of the first domains active at all, excellent registry policies. Expect that all your customer data goes for usage to the gov if they want to. Will always exist, or you likely will not either anymore (aka WW3) so not relevant.
    • .SI - No whois data visible, solid registry policies, cheap, EU. All around pretty good. In 50 years... not sure, might belong to someone else again, but risk very low.
    • .UK - Safe bet for existence, not so good for laws. Soon not EU anymore which will remove a LOT of limitations on data usage/spying over time.
    • .IM - Similar to UK but with better policies thus recommended over it. Existence depends on UK so safe bet. Weird EU status but does not matter.

Setsura said: seems some "cool new" startups will use ccTLDs though like .io since it sounds cool I guess?

I'd say IO is an extremely safe bet; the territory it belongs to is a UK military base that will never cease to exist. Same as UK.

Now for example LY or SO is a pretty bad choice for so many reasons.

Thanked by 2mfs Setsura
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited October 2017

@William never stumbled on .nl? Ancient, neutral, only an administrative e-mail address in whois if the registrant is a person (and they may even opt-out from that)

• Too West for my own usage and not really nice for domains, but yes neutrality wise NL is good - legal system solid, english widely used (albeit legal processing very likely has to be in Dutch), safe economy and location.

Generally i am not concerned about whois data much (as the company is there anyway and i have to publish this data on websites anyway) but yea nice feature similar to SI for sure for many.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • jhjh Member

William said: Soon not EU anymore which will remove a LOT of limitations on data usage/spying over time.

I disagree with this. The ECJ has frequently been the only barrier to the last government's dragnet spying, removing stateless individuals and other human rights issues. FWIW .uk is actually really well managed (possibly the only well managed public service in the UK).

Back on topic (sort of), I've managed to haggle the .net down to $1k. It's for a software development company. The name is a great, brandable, one word domain that matches what we do perfectly. .com/co.uk/.uk are out of the question.

I can drop $1k (which is not a huge amount for a great name - but ".net"...) on the .net or have the .software for the standard fee. Thoughts?

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited October 2017

@William said:
    -snip-

What do you think of Albania's .al, it is interesting that they have no "real" whois DB, but I wonder about their continued existence. I've been enjoying grabbing some nice .si domains, mostly for the reasons you already said. I've also noticed you like to use .li a lot, I have concerns about SWITCH's mailing address requirements though, from what I've seen people do get suspended if someone complains that they've sent you mail and you didn't get it(invalid address or maybe they just didn't send it), heard anything about that?

Also what about the memetastic .is, everyone wants to praise it as a great heaven of free speech, I think we've seen twice now that isn't entirely the case. But I still think it sounds like a good option for legal usage, dunno about Iceland's continued existence though, volcano and all.

• @jh if your client spent $50k on the app then $1k on the domain is an easy spend. if the .net is the most visible and achievable domain then id grab it.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2017

seaeagle said: if your client spent $50k on the app then $1k on the domain is an easy spend. if the .net is the most visible and achievable domain then id grab it.

Is .net seen as more attractive or professional than .software? I'm not really sure how .net is perceived..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Setsura said: What ccTLDs do you think are the safest in terms of political and economical stability of the sponsoring country,

.va, but you won't get one.

William said: .US/any gTLD of US based owner, this is the SOLE realistic choice for nazi and far right things as well.

Land of the frei!

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

jh said: I disagree with this. The ECJ has frequently been the only barrier to the last government's dragnet spying, removing stateless individuals and other human rights issues.

They will pretty surely drop out of the ECJ and it has generally less influence on non-EU members. See Belarus and Turkey. Generally with the UK not bound to the EU anymore and it's own power on global scale the judicial influence is... low, like the US.

Setsura said: What do you think of Albania's .al, it is interesting that they have no "real" whois DB, but I wonder about their continued existence

Yea. I'd wonder about that as well. I'll pass, no need to risk.

Setsura said: I have concerns about SWITCH's mailing address requirements though, from what I've seen people do get suspended if someone complains that they've sent you mail and you didn't get it(invalid address or maybe they just didn't send it), heard anything about that?

Well, the policies say you HAVE to use a valid mailing address, so i do. I never got a letter from SWITCH in many years, or had much contact with them (registrar bankrupt, domain locked for other reasons) but i assume if you can prove ownership (== ID for name in whois, supporting documents of having used this address etc.) you get the domain back, if not there is still the Swiss legal system (which does surprisingly well work in English in certain parts.).