Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian - VNC with NVIDIA Graphics
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian - VNC with NVIDIA Graphics

Hello,

I've got a dedicated server with Debian 8 installed and GeForce GT 710 graphic card, I tried to install tightvnc server and tried with this: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure but it didnt help as I've got error in VNC "You do not appear to be using NVIDIA X driver". Anybody know a solution for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• The nvidia driver consists of multiple parts and just some are what would be considered an X driver. Another important part is a kernel module. I'm not using debian but I compiled the beast and installed it on FreeBSD. Should be similar on linuxen.

Btw, keep in mind that the more complicated a problem is the more specific should the information be that you provide. What you provided is basically but a rather unspecific "help, it doesn't work!" and a link to some debian info.

• @tronyx

What the hell do you plan on accomplishing with a GT 710? The damn thing is a piece of shit, and this is from experience -- transcoding, general media playback -- it never performed well in anything.

• WSSWSS Member

I want to know exactly how a video card driver is going to make network VNC faster.

• @WSS said:
    I want to know exactly how a video card driver is going to make network VNC faster.

Bit compression. The special vnc processing unit in the gpu makes them bits slimmer (and, just between you and me, also puts vaseline on them bitties). Plus, of course, there is quasi-isomorphic Fermi estimation at work!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Someone with a game bot no doubt selling virtual gold :)

Please provide full configs and logs thx.