Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel Overselling Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel Overselling Issue

DumbledoreDumbledore Member
edited October 2017 in Help

Hi,
For some reason, my resellers cannot create packages beyond their resource limit. Even though in the reseller center I enabled overselling, and unlimited packages when they try to use an unlimited package it says: "cannot use due to limits".

Say if I give my reseller 100 GB and enabled overselling. He should be able to create packages more than 100 GB or unlimited but can only use up to 100GB.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue ?.

Comments

• Overselling enables them to create 40000x 10GB packages instead of only 10x 10GB packages. Not to create 1 package that is over 100GB or unlimited. Not sure why this works this way.

• vovler said: Not sure why this works this way.

I see. I thought I was doing something wrong in the options. So my reseller can't create an unlimited package if I limit his resource if even I enable overselling.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Dumbledore said:

vovler said: Not sure why this works this way.

I see. I thought I was doing something wrong in the options. So my reseller can't create an unlimited package if I limit his resource if even I enable overselling.

Well if he only has 10GB if he created an account with 15GB the account would be allowed to use 15GB - overselling and over commitment is two different things,

• AlexanderM said: over commitment

Then no one should be offering unlimited hosting.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@Dumbledore said:

AlexanderM said: over commitment

And yet some do..because unlimited is not necessarily to be understood as "infinite". It much rather should imply that no active limit is imposed given that a considerable "fair use" applies. Anyone should know there are no SSDs with "infinte space". The unwritten DBAD rule (dontbeadick).

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@Dumbledore said:

And yet some do..because unlimited is not necessarily to be understood as "infinite". It much rather should imply that no active limit is imposed given that a considerable "fair use" applies. Anyone should know there are no SSDs with "infinte space". The unwritten DBAD rule (dontbeadick).

Unfortunately, that's not at all how most companies market it. The limits are usually in some hidden clause deep in a TOS somewhere.

Why have it in the first place, instead of just telling the truth? If you are only going to allow someone to have 500 GB of disk space, why not just put that in the first place? Why call it unlimited but limit it to 500 GB in the TOS?

Makes absolutely no sense, other than to swindle people who just simply don't know any better. It's a shame.

Thanked by 2maverickp MichaelCee
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh look we're going to beat the unlimited horse again. I'll go get a stick.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@jarland said:
    Oh look we're going to beat the unlimited horse again. I'll go get a stick.

Does that stick come with unlimited beatings? Asking for a friend.

Thanked by 1jar
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@WSWD said:

@Ympker said:

@Dumbledore said:

Unfortunately, that's not at all how most companies market it. The limits are usually in some hidden clause deep in a TOS somewhere.

Why have it in the first place, instead of just telling the truth? If you are only going to allow someone to have 500 GB of disk space, why not just put that in the first place? Why call it unlimited but limit it to 500 GB in the TOS?

Makes absolutely no sense, other than to swindle people who just simply don't know any better. It's a shame.

I hear ya. It is however a Marketing gimmick. It's about suggerating a peace of mind to those who don't really know about their usage anyway. A bit like how in Germany a "Traffic Flatrate" (aka unmetered) is still widely advertised (even for 1 Gbit/s lines) where as in most international hosts you would find a bw limit. They usually do still have a Traffic limit/FUP somewhere in their legal docs though. Again this is something however that is advertised to suggerate peace of mind to those who do not know how their usage will be (mostly non geeks). I'd go as far as to say that most geeks or ppl with some extent of technical know-how would have an idea of their usage and just pick an apporpriate plan. But just as much as my grandma has given up to understand how the mobile data counting for her phone works (a 2GB/mo limit) many non-techy ppl will appreciate the apparent peace of mind with unlimited and flatrate packages...and mostly wont need much resources anyway. Again ppl who do know their specs get a vps or go elsewhere anyway.

• This the reason I never look for unlimited providers most of them do false advertisement.

• @letssupply said:
    This the reason I never look for unlimited providers most of them do false advertisement.

Just be careful who you sign up with :)

• I was able to escalate my ticket to the senior team. Here are the updates from cPanel

Update 1

I have picked up this escalated ticket at this time. Please allow me a few moments to review this issue. I will do my best to provide you with an update again as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Update 2

I was able to reproduce this issue in version 68. I am testing against version 66 now to see if there was some kind of change that may have caused this. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Update 3

In version 66 the issue still occurs, but then I tested against version 64 and overselling looks to be working fine. I am gathering some additional information regarding this so I can get an internal case opened with our developers. We do appreciate your patience and understanding.

Update 4

It looks like we already have an internal case on this labeled CPANEL-16366. I have added your ticket to the case and also provided my own replication steps so that our developers can get the issue resolved much quicker. We do apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing and greatly appreciate your understanding as our developers work on a fix for this. I hope this information has been helpful. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • WSSWSS Member

@Dumbledore to be read as:

Update 1

I looked at this penis, and saw that this penis may be an actual penis.

Update 2

I was able to verify that this penis is a penis, and was a penis a few months back.

Update 3

I found that this penis was not always a penis. This penis has only existed since it has been a penis.

Update 4

Those who created the penis are aware that it is a penis, but there are not enough people who did not want a penis that you will continue to have this penis- but now they remember what this penis specifically looks like.

• @WSS said:

Update 1

Update 2

I was able to verify that this penis is a penis, and was a penis a few months back.

Update 3

I found that this penis was not always a penis. This penis has only existed since it has been a penis.

Update 4

Those who created the penis are aware that it is a penis, but there are not enough people who did not want a penis that you will continue to have this penis- but now they remember what this penis specifically looks like.

Being able to pull off a penis joke from something like this, is a true skill.

• WSSWSS Member

@vovler said:
    Being able to pull off a penis joke from something like this, is a true skill.

Don't click this unless you're fine with NWS cartoon genitals.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2017

@WSWD said:

@Ympker said:

@Dumbledore said:

I just want to say I totally agree with this. I used to advertise an unmetered package but pulled it because unmetered, unlimited, it's all the same thing and isn't realistic or transparent. The only unlimited/unmetered I'd say is okay to advertise would be bandwidth and databases/accounts etc. But definitely not for disk space.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

Update 1

Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

OMG That was seriously the funniest thing I've ever read, really a LOL. Your posts should sometimes be gilded and hung in the most coveted of spaces, by the urinal ;)