Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZIP Code match with Stripe JS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZIP Code match with Stripe JS

Hi all,

for one of my partner projects we are using Stripe JS to check through their Radar service.

We want to do a ZIP Code match on the card and my developer has been able to code the module, however he says the result of the match can only be obtained after an actual transaction.

Firstly I believe we cannot check ZIP code verification in TEST MODE because test card numbers do not have a ZIP code associated with them... or is there a way (in test mode) that we are missing to understand?

Now in live mode, if the match fails, error code is returned, if the match passes, the amount used to "test" the transaction is actually charged on the card. It works as desired but I'm reluctant to believe that there is no way to return a positive ZIP code match without actually charging the card ? or is my dev missing something ?

Please share some inputs over this.

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited October 2017

Why not charge the card and refund immediately?

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2017

@sanvit said:

Because we will lose Stripe fee unnecessarily while eventually we will need to charge the card if he gets through the verification. The objective is not to issue a refund, the objective is to be able to TEST ZIP code verification in TEST Mode.

• Does VCC has zip code?

• @mehargags said:

@sanvit said:

Because we will lose Stripe fee unnecessarily while eventually we will need to charge the card if he gets through the verification. The objective is not to issue a refund, the objective is to be able to TEST ZIP code verification in TEST Mode.

The fee gets refunded along with the original payment to the customer. You pay nothing for a refunded Stripe transaction.

Another option is to just create a customer object and then associate the stripe card token with the customer object. Stripe will initiate a card check as part of this process, you can then see the results via the API or just assume a success return is good. Your choice really

• WSSWSS Member

Yep. Other than sending a transaction through, your best next-bet without any charges or transactions would be to utilize a GeoIP service via AJAX to qualify the address beforehand.

That said, such services are still shit and unreliable.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

Of course you can't get the ZIP code match returned before you make some sort of transaction. It would be a serious security flaw if you could do that, one could query the cards to find a match before attempting an actual transaction thus getting around the fraud detection systems. Very bad idea.

If Stripe supports authorisation without immediate capture, you may get away with blocking funds for a month on the card only, assuming that the authorisation object, without capture, does indeed return ZIP code match value.

• Thank you for the insight @Clouvider, Makes sense!

Another option is to just create a customer object and then associate the stripe card token with the customer object. Stripe will initiate a card check as part of this process, you can then see the results via the API or just assume a success return is good. Your choice really

@lukehebb Not being a coder myself, I don't quite understand that explanation but I'll have my devs look at it. Thanks

We don't really need to return the money... we may just make a $1 transaction for the verification and credit it to the customer for his next invoice.

It is just a quick uncomplicated fraud-check procedure for us. We had 3 charge-backs in last 9 months while we had literally zero cases in last 3 years!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I like the Stripe Radar service, as you will be able to create a rules to avoid the chargebacks and one of rules you be able to validate the CC if it's the card issued in the same country as customer and match the post code/zip code.

• @WebProject said:
    I like the Stripe Radar service, as you will be able to create a rules to avoid the chargebacks and one of rules you be able to validate the CC if it's the card issued in the same country as customer and match the post code/zip code.

Does this actually mean that I couldn't use a VCC on websites utilizing the stripe radar services?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Vinnyletje said:

@WebProject said:

Does this actually mean that I couldn't use a VCC on websites utilizing the stripe radar services?

Depending on the rules set by the merchant.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Vinnyletje said:

@WebProject said:

if you mean the VCC is Virtual Credit Crad than this type of card will come up as unknown country of issued and impossible to verify them, very easy to block such cards.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje
  • @WebProject said:

@Vinnyletje said:

@WebProject said:

if you mean the VCC is Virtual Credit Crad than this type of card will come up as unknown country of issued and impossible to verify them, very easy to block such cards.

Some cards (Revolut, etc.) return your address and postal code fine.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje