Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you set your hdd to sleep(disk head parking)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long do you set your hdd to sleep(disk head parking)?

Bought a 3.5 external disk recently to replace my 2.5 external disk, and the vibration is sensibly larger. I manually set the disk to sleep after 10min by hdparm.conf, but then I heard that frequent spinup&spindown can reduce the lifespan of disk.

So, what is the recommended value of the spindown timeout?
Also, for our (idling) dedicated servers, they are in some datacenter and are always powered on. Should we bother to set the disks not to spin down, or just keep the default value?

Comments

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

Good HDD will work many years. Better don't make too often start and stop.

• WSSWSS Member

Let 'er sit 'n' spin.

You've got a larger sized drive and possibly a faster RPM. It'll make more wumwums.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2017

layfon said: I heard that frequent spinup&spindown can reduce the lifespan of disk.

That's correct. Worst thing a HDD experiences from the wear and failure risk standpoint, is spinning up.

So, what is the recommended value of the spindown timeout?

Disable it.

At home, if noise or vibration cause you issues, get an SSD for your primary PC, and move all HDDs to a dedicated NAS machine you can run someplace away in another room or closet.

• I'll let them spin forever, thanks.