Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Top Providers votes! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Top Providers votes!

2»

Comments

• @JoeMerit said:
    how about this.. no hosts under $10/yr in the poll. get rid of the shit that just gets votes because its cheap.

Isn't this forum exactly about low cost?

I would prefer different lists people can vote on. VPS, Dedi, Shared Hosting, reseller shared hosting, special needs small VPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

JoeMerit said: just gets votes because its cheap

Well, that is the point, people "value" price first, then check to see if it works and is usable for some low-end purpose.

• emgemg Veteran

I wish there were an option for "once a year". In my opinion, quarterly updates are too frequent and degrade the value of the results.

• bersybersy Member
    edited October 2017

I think twice a year would be optimal then. As for once a quarter, it looks too often to me. It's not about precise timetable anyway, we all see as is the case currently, but it should be held at least once a year. And better hold the next round before crazy BF & CM deals coming or leave it till next year.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @bersy said:
    I think twice a year would be optimal then. As for once a quarter, it looks too often to me. It's not about precise timetable anyway, we all see as is the case currently, but it should be held at least once a year. And better hold the next round before crazy BF & CM deals coming or leave it till next year.

Nah, just like there are quarterly indexes for programming languages, and there are quarter reports for publicly traded companies, I also believe there should still be a once a month top provider poll.

Once a year, is some shit that those click-bait title sites would do to write some bullshit content on new years. Once a quarter for me is more than enough, not too little and not too much.

A lot can happen in a year, a provider can go deadpool, they can get acquired, their quality could go down.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

In LET, that can occur within weeks. Does it really mean that by adding the same sort of data more often will be any better? Look into the rise (and fall) of VortexNode. They'd have had perhaps 6 months of accolades before they dumped, but within those two proposed times, they'd be near the top.

How would this be any different, unless people are fickle enough to either:

• Not trust your assessment and pay month-by-month.
    • Overly trust your assessment and choose to prepay for a provider that goes bad.

Neither of those show this "Toplist" as being something actually trustworthy.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • lets do it monthly, no restrictions. last week of every month is poll week.

• gkzgkz Member

@Maounique is back :D

How are you?

@gkz said:
    @Maounique is back :D

How are you?

Fine, thanks, for more, please summon me where i belong, in the cest pit :P

JoeMerit said: lets do it monthly, no restrictions. last week of every month is poll week.

Do you remember how long it took sometimes for the results to appear? At that rate we wont have the result from previous month and we should already start another :P
    6 months is optimal imo, 1 year is acceptable.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • LeeLee Veteran

Maounique said: how can you read the polls for signs of trouble?

You need to put some effort in I guess, which most will not do.

Hosts either disappear in a day, or it is a gradual decline. Nothing you can do about spotting the former however the latter you can see a decline in their standing.

Of course, there are those such as Prometeus and Ramnode that drop off polls not because of poor service but through the removal of the discounts, and the whores loved the 42% discounts codes that were only really as a result of the marketing, they were never really getting that discount. However, I digress.

The polls are a good temperature check of the more fragile hosts. Sure, you do great in the first six months, then you get popular. Does your business scale very well both regarding performance and profit? You can get a sense of that in the polls.

And then of course, while you do get x host stole my money, life, customers, etc.. A lot of people won't open posts to complain, they simply walk away. Once a poll appears though they will be more likely to vote, just not for the one they did last time.

Not saying polls are the be all. However, you can glean a lot from them.

edited October 2017

Lee said: you can see a decline in their standing.

I do not think that can be a sign, not to mention a reliable one. You can gather way more from the outages thread than from a poll regarding standing as well as the character of people.

Polls reflect how some of the people that take part in it and are part of the community (most dont vote and, even for relatively newish hosts, a big part of their customers is not part of the community at all) appreciate some hosts. We do not have negative poll, so i think that makes it even harder to get a vague idea about how it goes behind the scene.
    I use the impression i have about some people, know what they are generally looking for, how they use their VMs, etc, and place their vote in context, then i can get some idea, this is why writing a few lines is important when you provide a justification for the vote(s).
    That does not mean the poll itself gives me the info, but my knowledge about some characters and possible usage scenarios make me take that as recommendations or "stay away" notices.
    As a result i also try to justify my vote and share a few lines with the community.

TL;DR
    Does a poll show how a host does, let alone will do outside a customer can know through the interaction? Not really, IMO.
    Does the community provide some inside view to people completely outside giving them at least some leads? Perhaps, at least for me.

• @Rayhan said:
    Old is gold. Checkout Top Provider Poll Results Q4 2016

I wanna see you get that i-83 NAT's right now

• @vovler said:

@Rayhan said:

???

• @Rayhan said:

@vovler said:

@Rayhan said:

???

He means ‘chat shit get banged’.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • @vovler said:

@Rayhan said:

I'm getting that 5$ VortexNode Atom right now

• it's been 4 years. Do you have plans to make a new survey and a new top list?

• @Anastasiia99 said: it's been 4 years. Do you have plans to make a new survey and a new top list?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165392/let-provider-poll-hy1-2020-results/p1