Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to change File/Folder Permission in VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to change File/Folder Permission in VPS

Please tell me how to change the folder and all files in it permission to 777 using SSH Client.

Files are in my VPS.

What is the command used in SSH to do that so.

Thanks

Comments

• Chmod

• Yes CHMOD but give me the full command

• Thanks

• terafireterafire Member
    edited August 2013

I recommend google for this thread.

• @Raymii said:
    I really hope he did... How else does he learn to use man or google afterwards?

He has an incomplete WHMCS installation.

• Yes My VPS now went down I am Reinstalling it

• @kingvps said:
    Yes My VPS now went down I am Reinstalling it

I hope you got the hint?

Thanked by 2MrObvious netomx
  • @Raymii said:
    I hope you got the hint?

WHY CAN I NOT THANK YOU MORE THAN ONCE.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Enough with the trolling guys, it's funny once or twice but there's no reason to keep giving commands that will mess up his server. I've removed some posts after I got several reports about this.

@kingvps: in all honesty, you can't expect us to give you exact commands, etc. each time. If you are in a shell and need a manual for a command, type:

man <command>

So for chmod:

man chmod

And you'll get the manual. Additionally, there's Google that can help you out :-)

• What command did you give him? The good old rm -rf?

• chmod 0777 directory

or from ftp, change the permission to 664 or 777. depends what you need

• @Magiobiwan said:
    What command did you give him? The good old rm -rf?

Nah, Raymii had him 777 /

• @MrObvious said:
    Nah, Raymii had him 777 /

Recursively.

• @mpkossen said:
    Recursively.

On a webserver that had WHMCS partially configured. :)

• wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited August 2013

To change directory: cd
    To change permission: chmod <file/folder>
    (the will be told during the installation of your whmcs, if it is 755 then 755, 644 then 644)

so, an example would be: chmod 644 whmcs

If you wanted to apply the permission to all folders under that folder, add -R
    chmod -R 644 whmcs

• @mpkossen said:
    Enough with the trolling guys, it's funny once or twice but there's no reason to keep giving commands that will mess up his server. I've removed some posts after I got several reports about this.

Sorry Maarten!

Little motivation: I've now seen this more than often. This situation, the subject opening a few similar topics with very basic questions regarding server administration, ignoring the tips to google and learn a bit, but just looking for a quick fix for the step in the tutorial / manual that is not working. A new topic will be openend for every not working thing, and google is never touched. This is even more of a trigger for me, because this seems to be going in the direction of a summer deadpool host.

I'm willing to help a lot, point people in the right direction, write stuff out, but I also do expect some research and initiative from them.

And since here that was not the case and as said this smells like a summer quick money host, I indeed gave a little misguided hint to recursively chmod / to 777, in the hope that (as said) the hint would be clear.

• I think anyone that's so stupid to actually DO something like that (rm, dd if=/dev/zero, etc.) deserves what happens. Then they hopefully won't do it again. And realize that theyre an idiot.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

Knowledge is acquired, nobody is born with it. The only difference is that this guy is acquiring it now, while others acquired it in the past.

• I hate such thread, such a simple question but OP only ask to "give me the full command", if you know nothing about the linux shell command, PLEASE go to learn some basic knowledge for even one hour OK?

• @spekk said:
    Knowledge is acquired, nobody is born with it. The only difference is that this guy is acquiring it now, while others acquired it in the past.

It doesnt look like he's acquiring anything. It seems that he copies it from here, pastes it over there.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

chmod 777 file.txt

chmod 777 folder

change ownership

chown user:user folder

chown user:user file.txt

• Come on, this isn't google....

• @DewlanceVPS said:

change ownership

chown user:user folder

chown user:user file.txt

cough...USER:GROUP

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • @black said:
    Come on, this isn't google....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+google :p

• @Raymii said:
    Sorry Maarten!

Ah, no worries :-) I agree with you, if it looks like a summer host and if it smells like a summer host, it often is a summer host ;-)

Others have made jokes in the OP's threads as well and I just felt it had to stop somewhere. No offense meant to you, of course.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

actually the "full command" would be:

ssh user@host 'chmod -R 777 /path/to/folder/'

this is the proper way to do it using the 'SSH client', the answers you guys are providing require you to login

• just run chmod 777 (folder address) no need to use -R syntax . ;)

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

if there are no folders in the folder you do not need it yet, but it would be really weird to chmod 777 the initial folder, and then leave other folders inside it w/out the 777, for example if you do that in a 'cache' folder it may blow up your setup, but well, anything is arguable, however I noticed the guys here were busy making jokes without even bothering to read the question and try to understand it.