Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Distro with low ram usage ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux Distro with low ram usage ?

2»

Comments

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@budingyun said:
    raza19 Fresh install CentOS should be use less than 100MB RAM. My CentOS box using 50-60MB RAM even after installing nginx, php-fpm and mariadb.

On OpenVZ it's only around 20MB as I recall.

• @sman said:
    I don't know why people seem to think memory usage depends on the Linux distribution. They all use the same kernel and almost all the same packages. It's just a matter of figuring out what to remove and how to configure things.

Generally yes. But kernels do differ between distros, both in version and compiled-in features, so memory usage may differ somewhat. And the same goes for packages -- different versions of the same app may use different amounts of memory.

• c0yc0y Member
    service httpd stop
    service bind9 stop
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2013

@sleddog said:

I don't think compile flags on the general purpose OS's are going to change mem usage from distro to distro all that much. And again, on OpenVZ it's irrelevant.

Different story with specialized OS designed for low memory footprints...like Android for example.

• Debian minimal is your best shot.