Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel C600 SATA AHCI Driver Weird Issue in Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel C600 SATA AHCI Driver Weird Issue in Windows 10

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

Though this is not a hardware related Forum but as I get most of the help from here, I'm happy to share the issue with you. Here I can find Highly Expert Tech People.

I'm using a Chinese Motherboard of X79 Chipset & E5-1650 Processor with 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram & Windows 10 x64. I had a Toshiba DT01ACA100 when I setup this PC, later bought a Hitachi HDS723020BLA642. Before plugging in the 2nd One, I had no issues at all. When I plugged in the HGST, I saw "Safely Remove Removable Drive" icon in the right side & it was featuring all My Partitions (From Both Drives). If I click on that, Partitions were vanished with Drive (From Disk Management also) & without restart I can't find them out. I searched here & there and found I need to update My SATA AHCI Controller Driver.

This was My Standard SATA AHCI Controller (You can see My Partitions as Portable Devices :3 ) 

The Driver Version 

I updated the Driver to Version 4.6.0.1048 (03/02/2017) 

After updating Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 became Intel Raid 1 Volume 

The Driver Version Now 

I again updated the Driver to Version 5.2.0.1194 (13/06/2017) 

The Driver Version Now 

After this update Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 got Vanished from Everywhere 

Now, If I rollback the Driver of Intel(R) C600 SATA AHCI Controller Driver, it reverts to Standard SATA Controller & I get My Drives back but shows as Removable Drive. I searched manually for the Drivers, from Intel I got Version 4.3.x.xxxx but it did the same job it did in 4.6.0.1048 (Makes Hitachi one Intel Raid 1 Volume). When it becomes Intel Raid 1 Volume, I can't use SMART but Removable Device problem solves. SATA Mode is set to AHCI in BIOS of My Motherboard. Any idea ??

Comments

• I am using Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller only and it's working fine.

Using multiple Storage Controller in same time may causes issues.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Rayhan said:
    I am using Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller only and it's working fine.

Using multiple Storage Controller in same time may causes issues.

You maybe missing out something. I'm not using multiple storage controllers. My Real controller is Intel C600 Series AHCI Controller which is being controlled by Microsoft Driver if I don't use Intel Driver. That makes the entire Hard Drive a Portable solution.

However, I managed to solve this already just after posting here. I was trying for the last 3 Days to get it properly done & just after posting here, I managed to do it.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: You maybe missing out something. I'm not using multiple storage controllers. My Real controller is Intel C600 Series AHCI Controller which is being controlled by Microsoft Driver if I don't use Intel Driver. That makes the entire Hard Drive a Portable solution.

However, I managed to solve this already just after posting here. I was trying for the last 3 Days to get it properly done & just after posting here, I managed to do it.

Good to hear. :)

My IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers is Intel 8 Series/C220 Series SATA AHCI Controller and Storage controller is Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. But, your IDE ATA/ATAPI controller is Standard SATA AHCI Controller and Storage controllers is (2) Intel C600 Series AHCI Controller and Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. Not sure if the problem was that or something else.

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited October 2017

It's an interesting issue for sure. Try this driver:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26859/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-?v=t and if it's too new for your chipset then give the following driver a try:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25731/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-?product=98463
    As much as I like Intel's hardware, their software support (i.e. device drivers) is hardly any good (read hard to find). I think that Intel is pushing responsibility of supporting hardware to the OEMs so in your case it would be the motherboard manufacturer - btw what motherboard is that?

edited October 2017

@lewekleonek said:
    It's an interesting issue for sure. Try this driver:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26859/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-?v=t and if it's too new for your chipset then give the following driver a try:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25731/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows-?product=98463
    As much as I like Intel's hardware, their software support (i.e. device drivers) is hardly any good (read hard to find). I think that Intel is pushing responsibility of supporting hardware to the OEMs so in your case it would be the motherboard manufacturer - btw what motherboard is that?

Yes, it was interesting. I installed the latest Version provided by DriverPack Solution. The issue was somewhat different. Intel had Version <4.x.xxxx.x support for Windows 7 & 8. WIndows 10 support came first in Version 4 & 4+. But, In all the versions of 4 Series, when a secondary drive is added, the driver made it Intel Raid 1 Drive (despite of not using Raid, using AHCI). And, when I was in Version 4, I updated to Version 5 (Latest). It seems Version 5 had fixed this issue. While I was in Version 4, the V4 Driver added a Metadata in the Secondary Drive that it's a Raid Drive. After upgrading to V5, PC couldn't detect the drive as the issue was fixed. Then, I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Software & it showed that My Secondary Hitachi is incompatible as it has Raid Metadata added. I cleared that up using Intel RST GUI & My Drive came back in Latest Version of Driver of Intel C600 Chipset ^_^

@lewekleonek said:
    what motherboard is that?

It's a Chinese One named TOPSEE P9X79-Plus which I could never find in Google ! Bought from TaoBao.

• Thank you for the update. I'll keep it handy just in case.